Goodsell Super 17 in da house!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mkg, Jul 21, 2006.

1. mkg

mkg Member

Just now unpacked and played through my new Goodsell Super 17.
    Gave it a cursory run-through with my LP, Strat and Tele, tweaking the three knobs a bit just to get an idea of what it can do.
    This is the second EL84 amp I've played through, the other being a Peavey Classic 30 I owned years ago.
    All three guitars absolutely sparkle through this amp. The master volume allows for great sound even at low volume, a feature that'll be very useful on gigs as well as for playing at home.
    The British Celestion G12H provides plenty of volume and thump and reminds me a bit of the Texas Heat in my Allen.
    I was particularly struck by the amount of detail when I played my LP, very three dimensional.
    I suppose that's partly the nature of EL84s, but the Classic 30 never sounded this good (wouldn't really be fair to expect it to).
    I'll do some more testing throughout the day (tough work but somebody's got to do it) and report back.
    I plan on playing it at tomorrow night's gig and will have further comments afterwards.
    First impression: helluva amp!
    :AOK

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Sounds great, been wanting to try one of those since I got my Tophat. SOMETHING really cool happens with overdrive and EL84s, there's just nothing else like it...

What's to become of the Hot Fudge w/Nuts?

3. stephenT

stephenT Supporting Member

Congrats!! You like it now, you love it after you've had more time with it.

I've got two, a 22 Delux #0002 (Richard no longer builds these) and a early Super 17 (#0015). They are the best amps I've owned (of many). Love 'em so much I'm going for a 33.

4. mkg

mkg Member

Phil, you're right about the EL84s, I'm diggin' 'em.
    The HF w/Nuts is still a major contender. I've now got the luxury of rotating these two. I needed to replace my recently-sold BFVR and wanted to go with a 2xEL84 amp.
    The Super 17 overdrives very nicely and cleans up beautifully with guitar volume knob.
    This amp set up for clean with just a bit of hair is remarkable.
    Volume-wise it sits right in the same area as my Allen, so I'll be comfortable using either one. The master volume of the Goodsell should prove to be very useful.
    Having these two amps is truly an embarrassment of riches.
    ;)

5. mkg

mkg Member

Stephen, very cool...it's great to know it'll get even sweeter as the G12H breaks in.
    I know it'll take some time to learn the controls, but thankfully there are only three to mess with!

6. Doodad

Doodad Member

Big congrats on the purchase. I have #39. They really like to warm up so keep that in mind. That natural reverb shimmer is amazing when the volume is up (and girls out of the house). I am really interested in seeing what else Richard can produce (stereo for my Ric cough cough). Good choice on the speaker and wait til it wears in...gets really full.:RoCkIn

7. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

any news on whether goodsell will release a low watt single ended amp?

8. mkg

mkg Member

Doodaddy, mine's #0175. I guess you guys in and around Atlanta have known about these beauties for a while now. Thanks for the warmup tip, very helpful, and good to know about the speaker.
    I dig that natural reverb of the big cab (Mk.2), too...my three girls were out of the house for a while this afternoon. Needless to say, I was getting the neighbors' attention. :p
    I wasn't expecting it, but mine has what I guess is an effects loop in the back, Send and Return jacks.
    Have never used one so maybe you guys can fill me in on the best way to use it should I want to try it out.
    I've got a Barber Small Fry (great pedal) that I'd like to try with it.

9. mkg

mkg Member

slowburn, I don't know...shoot Richard an email. Like David Allen, he's a super nice guy, easy to talk and deal with, but you may already know that.
    :AOK

10. slowburn

yeah I emailed him a while back and never got a reply.

11. mkg

mkg Member

That's strange. I'd be willing to bet it was a comp screw-up somehow, it's not like Richard to ignore an inquiry from a customer or potential customer.
    I emailed about the effects loop, he said it's best used with delay/chorus/reverb type effects, not overdrive pedals.
    The chassis already had holes for reverb send and return, so since I didn't want reverb he put in the effects loop.
    It'll be useful if I ever decide to try a delay or reverb pedal.

12. Lil'Strat

Lil'Strat Member

slowburn,
    richard here on my wife's account... what's your e-mail address? I try to answer every inquiry that doesn't involve electric piano parts...

Anyway, I do have a 1xEL84 SE prototype; I need to hear from folks to determine whether or not it will be a viable product - it has an EZ81 rectifier and a 12ax7 front end, VOL and TONE.

Also, I've often thought of doing a stereo 17 - completely possible as a 2x12 combo... if somebody orders one, I'll make it.

e-mail anytime
    RG

13. slowburn

PM'd.

14. Doodad

Doodad Member

Richard,

Thanks for chiming in. Definitely there is a market for a 5 watter. I am looking for one now and see all kinds of threads regarding that setup. I had to go to the beach with a SS and was very glad to get back to the Superseventeen.

I would LOVE to see a stereo 33 with an effects loop geared to one speaker in a 6l6 format if possible. If all it takes is an order and discussion I will shoot you an email and we can talk. I have some money coming in soon and the Ric will be back from a refinish as well.

Bart

15. Doodad

Doodad Member

I just reread your post Richard. You have a prototype small form?

What is the size and where is the potential price point? Any uh chance of seeing this gem?:)

16. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I'd love to see it too. I am intrigued lately by low watt, simple amps that sing. Although I have an Orange, Marshall and Mesa loud heads, I really love the low watt amps. I never use the big heads at gigs anymore. Post a pic please!

17. stephenT

stephenT Supporting Member

now I'm running Private Jacks in my two Goodsells, I'm a real fan of these speakers, I think they give me a slightly more scooped sound vs. the G12H which has (to my ear) plenty of upper mid range content.

It was fun dialing the right speaker for my use, went through a few on the 17 to make 'er mine. I'm playing through my Goodsells 3 and 4 nights a week, we play a couple clubs that require low volume and the amps make it a joy. When you don't have that volume thing as a crutch, I really rely on the amp to give me what you need to make (me) happy at low volumes.

A stereo 33 !!!? a low watt amp !!!!! Cool.

18. Lil'Strat

Lil'Strat Member

If you don't mind that it's a nekkid chassis - actually, I don't have the computer chops to post here, but if you write me I'll take a digi pic and attach it to the reply.

The controls will be top-mounted, and I'm thinking about a 10" speaker to keep it smaller. Price point will depend on the speaker, but I'm thinking $500-ish by direct special order, and then only 10 or 12 total units - maybe only to people who see it here - I'd love some input on speakers, size, etc. so y'all let me know something...

Richard

19. Lil'Strat

Lil'Strat Member

I can do a 17+17w, but not a 33+33w without straying from EL84s; based on my un-fun experience building in the 6V6 format I'm not eager to try 6L6s. There are already builders better at that than me - I'm going to keep filling the small-format niche. I'd like to try a 50w 6xEL84 if I can find the right OT, but other than that I'm content making little bitty combos...

20. mkg

mkg Member

We're playing a small club tonight, so the Super 17 is going to get its baptism under fire. This is one of the few venues where we don't mic amps, so I think the master volume will serve me well.