Goodsell Super 17 MK3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tcaron, Sep 10, 2008.

1. tcaron

tcaron Member

Well it's happening again. As much as I love my Carr Rambler and Goodsell Super 17 MK2, the MK3 at 29lbs has caught my eye. My back acts up from carying the Rambler and even the lighter, 38 lb, MK2. The Mk3 at 29 lbs looks like it can do everything I need in an amp especially the tone and 5/17 watt option along with reverb and tremelo.

I've been fortunate with the Rambler and MK2 by picking them both up used on The Gear Page. I may have to pony up and pay retail for the MK3. It looks like a keeper.

Anyone got a MK3 and ar happy with it? Is there an option to plug in an extention cabinet and run it at 4 ohms? Are these things readily available?
    Who is the best retailer to call for one?

Thanks!

2. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I cant help you with most of your questions but I will say I'd either just call richard yourself with any questions or talk to atlanta discount music because they were the original dealer for him, are located near him, and are real helpful and knowledgeable on the amps. I got my super 17 from them a few years ago but I ordered a super 7 from richard directly. In regards to the amp though I really dont think you could go wrong with this one.

3. tcaron

tcaron Member

Can you order amps directly from Richard? His website doesn't seem to offer that. I've spoken to him in the past about my Super 17 MK2 and he is a great guy.

Thanks

4. briankp7

briankp7 Supporting Member

I have the Super 17 Mk. 2 and since the Mk 3 have come out I have been really wanting one too!! The 5/17 Switch really does it for me!! Maybe I can hold out for a while and not give in!!! I love the Mk 2 though so maybe I can hold off!

5. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

I was in Atlanta on Tuesday and spend some time w/ Richard @ his shop. was great to finally meet the man & hang. got to try out both a well warmed up and burned in Mk 3 and Mk2 2x10. He'd had them on since noon (got there @ 4:30) and was headed to ship them off soon after I left. both were really awesome, but my vote was for the Mk 3! both had his proprietary speakers in them (RG12H in the Mk 3, and his RG10's in the 2x10) and they sounded fabulous. I had my main guitar w/ me ('57 Special) and had a blast running them through the paces. the Mk 3 is just such a frickin' toneful little mutha w/ plenty of low end, tone and volume for such a little amp?!! you can't go wrong w/ it! I'm still in deep honeymoon mode w/ my older Mk 2 (w/ a vintage tranny) or I'd be getting into deep trouble w/ the mrs. figuring out how to get one?! give richard a call directly, and he'll get you one pretty darn quick. FYI - he'll be taking the month of October off, so catch him soon, or you'll have to wait if they don't have 'em @ any of his retailers! best of luck in the tone search! :stir http://www.superseventeen.com/contact_g.html

6. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

That
    That's how i got my II/2X10/verb. You suck Jamtamoshpere(LOL), now I want an MKIII!

Jatmosphere, sorry for the mis-spell.

7. Jatmosphere

hey Bikedude, so do you! :moon (lol) forgot to mention how awesome it is in the 5 watt mode?! like a sweet ass princeton! (I have 2 x '66 princetons) just a ridiculous amp for sure, and w/ the RG12H she grinds so fine!

8. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Your killing me man! Glad you like it. I have a DRRI I've never been able to "bond" with that I may put on the block soon. Maybe a 5/17 is in my future. BTW, I bought one of the new Princetons, and so far it's a very nice amp for sure.

9. Jatmosphere

Never liked the DRRI. Bright and just awful imho. Sure you can mod them, but why bother? I had a '71 DR (modded to BF) and it sounded really good, but my '67 Vibrolux Reverb alway just killed it, and @ just a few more pounds to carry, and the DR got the block. Never looked back. 5/17 sounds like a grand idea. The Mk 3's the one.

10. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

Is there a discount for buying it direct from Richard?

11. tcaron

tcaron Member

Give Richard a call and chat about his pricing. Depending on his needs and inventory he may be open to a discount, maybe on a blemished amp?

Richard just emailed me, I get my new MKIII tomorrow in tweed!

12. Andre357

Andre357 Member

How do they take pedals ?

13. straticus

straticus Member

I'm sort of shopping for a new amp ...........heck, when am I NOT shopping???

Anyway, I just listened to the clips on the Goodsell site and they sound really good!

But I'm wondering.....41lbs vs. 29 lbs ........where did those 12lbs go? Smaller OT???

14. straticus

straticus Member

Yea, I'd like to know this too.

Do they get mushy when pushed with pedals?

15. Jatmosphere

As stated earlier, I visited Richard last week, and got to test drive a very warmed up Mk 3... me thinks it's the ****! :AOK

The SS rectifier helped to drop b/w 3 or 4 lbs. plus the smaller solid pine cab vs. the larger birch ply cab = the weight difference. :stir
    As far as pedal... she loves them!!! I find that the longer the amp is running and heating up, I tend to reduce the amount of gain amount on each pedal. but it pretty much loves them all. I don't really like a tube screamer type pedal tone through the Goodsell, then it can get "mushy". me thinks it prefers boost and fuzz pedals! though it has plenty of great clean headroom. in most cases, playing w/ my pedal board, I tend to keep all 3 controls V,T,M @ around 10 o'clock-ish and she's way plenty loud! (...and that's just 17 watts?!!)

Richard also explained that... the Master is sort of "an after thought"... it just attenuates the amps overall volume from the gain/tone interaction of the volume and tone controls.

Best thing to do it give Richard a call and see what he's got on the table. on average he builds and mails an amp a day, but he mentioned that he was taking some time off in October, so best thing to do is to just give him a holler. as far as price break...? he's so easy to talk to, and you get it straight from the man. he heads to FedEx everyday @ around 6pm everyday, so it'll get there darn quick from the time you place your order!

good luck in the tone search. cheers! :drink

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  16. Andre357

Andre357 Member

^^^ sweet, I just may give him a call....

Thanks much !

very interested in these amps...

someone was using a goodsell on Saturday Night Live a few weeks back and the tone was stellar !

17. tcaron

tcaron Member

Andre,

Do you remember the SNL show and band that had the Goodsell?

Thanks!

18. waynebrown

waynebrown Member

19. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

I just bought a Maz Jr. so that I can have an interim amp while I wait for the used market to be a little more saturated with Mk3s.

20. MemphisBlues

MemphisBlues Member

Call Richard,

He has been great to work with on getting a Mk III into my home. LOVE this amp. Definitely better than my Rambler and I almost never turn on the Mercury or 5E3. Also give Martin Music in Memphis a call to see if they have one.

Mike