Goodsell Super 17 tube rolling adventures: let's hear about your results.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mkg, Jan 19, 2008.

1. mkg

mkg Member

I've had my Super 17 for almost two years now, gigging, recording, playing at home. For most of that time I've used the stock complement of preamp and power tubes, EH 12AX7s and EH EL84s.
    Recently I replaced V1 and the PI with GE 12AX7WAs, and today received a pair of GE 6BQ5/EL84s from Mike at KCA that I just put through their paces with Strat and LP.
    I'm really liking the sound of this setup, smooth, robust, and sparkly. In particular, the overdrive of the GEs seems a bit beefier and a little more detailed, while cleans have a little more thump.
    Now I'm curious to know what my fellow Goodsell owners have tried and what your results have been.
    So chime in!

:munch

2. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

An excelent question. I replaced all the smashed tubes in mine:( with cheaper stuff JJ's mostly to make shure that it would work. Mine arrived with the chassis ripped out of the cab and most tubes destroyed because of a crappy pack job.

It wasn't anyone here and I didn't get it new.

Anyway it sounds so good I haven't even experimented with tubes. I've got some NOS Amperex EL84's and 12AX7's and some other "good" tubes.
    Goodsell tube experimentation sounds like a great way to spend a sub zero Sunday in MN.
    I'll let you know if I find any "magic" combos.

3. mkg

mkg Member

Hey, that makes the single digit temp here seem like a heat wave!
    Bummer about the poor pack job and broken glass, but glad to hear the thing is working.
    Three day winter weekend is a great time for experimenting. Seems like somebody here reported good results with a Bugle Boy as PI. I look forward to hearing about your results.

4. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

im still hoping to hear more clips. anyone have any clips or videos of these amps?

5. mkg

mkg Member

Here's a video of our own Jatmosphere playing through his Super 17 with the Richard Bona Group:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWJleoMoA30

And I think he's got a website for his band Jabr with songs that feature the amp.