1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Goodsell Super 17 w/Reverb and g12h

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cranknfrank, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

Hello,
    Who's playing one of these live with a 4 or 5 piece band? The soundclips sound great and I really like the simplicity of the amp, but I wonder about clean headroom from 17 watts. I primarily play a Strat with the occasional use of a McCarty. I'd love to hear a field report about one of these amps.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide. Take care.

2. mkg

mkg Member

Frank, I play mine (non-reverb) with a 5-piece band, usually with LP, sometimes with Strat.
    We almost always mic amps, but have played a few venues where we didn't need to.
    We play a mix of r&r and r&b, mostly old school like Motown, Memphis, etc. and Beatles, Stones, etc.
    The Super 17 always has plenty of headroom for my needs. I set it to be clean with guitar at lower volumes so that I can adjust overdrive from my guitar.

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I play mine with a four and sometimes five piece without micing and it has enough headroom and note seperation. As with any amp under 25 watts, it all depends on your drummer. If he's a banger you will need 40-50 watts. If he know dynamics the Goodsell is perfect. BTW I had a Weber P12N in mine and it sounded great, but when pushed it broke up a little too much. I have a Weber ceramic silver bell 50 watt; pre Rola doping, and it's perfect.

4. mild

mild Member

I play a Mk2 head into a THD 2x12 cab. I play in a large band (between 8-12 peices, 4-8 singers, depending on the gig). Of course, we always play mic'd, and I'm on In Ears, so its not really fair. With that said, I feel that my Goodsell could make a tremendous lot of racket if I had it onstage, and pointed it out to the crowd. Probably not enough to keep up (clearly) with the massive PA though. :)

5. tcaron

tcaron Member

Hi Frank,

I play mine with a 5 piece group, which includes two other guitarists, bass and drums.

I put a Weber P12B, Celestian Blue clone, into my MK2 and it got louder, creamer and produced more bottom end. I then put a couple of Mullard EL84s in it, an Amperex Bugle Boy 12AT7 in V2 and a Mullard 12AX7 in V1 and its now my favorite amp, again. (No reverb in my amp.) I plan on trying a Telefunken in V1 as soon as I find one. I love tweaking this amp.

I've got the older cabinet and I think the new Bluesbreaker cab will give a deeper tone than my orginal MK2 cabinet. I think you'd be happy with it.

The Carr Rambler might be another choice with a little more head room at 28 Class A watts. I've got a used one but my Goodsell gets more play these days.

Good luck!

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

My pal Pete in town here took delivery on one THIS MORNING. I can't wait to play through it and hear it - 2x10's and reverb!

Dana O.

7. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I play my 17-2X10/Rev. with a 4 piece and a drummer who (knows) about dynamics. Never had a prob with headroom. 99% of the time I mic with a 57. The one time i didn't mic the amp i had a blast cranking her up and lettin it (breathe). I hardly ever use the Rev. but when I do, it never gets in the way. It's the best Rev. I've ever had in an amp. I also set my amp up like Mkg., fairly clean and use the guit. vol for some nice crunch, and slam it with an OD for lead work. Best sounding amp I own. The Goodsell beats out my, DRRI(modded), HRD 4X10(modded), 73SFTR(stock),LSC(EL34's). Those ares some great amps, but the G17 does em in tone wise.

8. mkg

mkg Member

Here's a typical setting for me: amp volume, gain, and tone a little past noon, guitar volume about 1/3 if using LP, maybe 2/3 with Strat.
    Increase guitar volume for crunch.
    Throw in the fact that the amp is very responsive to touch, and you've got yourself a versatile, expressive rig.

Forgot to mention, mine has the G12H Heritage, fine speaker.

9. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

Guys,
    Thanks for all of the comments........great stuff! I believe I'll start the search for one immediately. Again, many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Frank

10. packermann

packermann Member

Frank,

I play with a 4 piece and run the amp up around 2/3 on the volume and gain and it is loud enough to hang with the band. I play blues and don't mike the amp through the PA. I also kick in a Tube King for more grind on leads. If your band plays loud or large venues you can talk with Richard about his 33 watter. It depends on how much clean headroom you need. The 17 is perfect for my needs.

By the way, Richard is tops on supporting his product after a sale. I had some work done on my amp and he did that for me without charge and got the amp back to me within a week. He is a pleasure to speak with over the phone and you can tell he cares about his customers. This means a lot to me.

Pete

11. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Used mine Saturday night in a five piece and loved it. I had mine up for sale (because I have way too much gear:crazy) but I've had a change in heart. If you play with experienced musicians that know about dynamics, you will have no problems. With a heavy handed drummer, like I had in my last project; you're gonna be in trouble.

I also used mine with Slider's band (who posted above) and the Super 17's sounded great in that setup. With 2 guitars and a keyboard I think I ran the volume and gain around noon that night, if I remember correctly. Maybe Mike will chime in but I've not had any issues as of yet with headroom.:AOK It's a great sounding little amp and it has it's own thing going on tone wise.