Goodsell Super 17

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gpecoulas, Jan 25, 2006.

1. gpecoulas

gpecoulas Gold Supporting Member

I am thinking of getting one. Anyone have an opinion on this amp? I'd be interested in any comparisons with a Maz 18 NR too. Thanks.

2. meterman

meterman Member

It's a cool amp, I had one for several months but had to sell it...it's very "live" feeling, a simple circuit and very dynamic, responsive....do you have a chance to play one first? It's pretty unique...great sounding amp though. Do a search, there is at least one long thread here about them with lots of posts from R. Goodsell the builder....

3. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Just sent you a private message

4. larrylover

larrylover Member

Much has written on TGP about these amps from Atlanta, and the maker has posted regularly. Do a search.

Peace up and get down with the ATL!!!!!!

5. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

It's all in the ears of the beholder..I liked it over the Maz, much bigger sounding/feeling to begin with, and it has a wider palate of tones to work with...every tube change you make, you can hear due to only (2) AX7's and (2) EL84's + rectifier...this is the best amp I have ever played...OK, I won't ramble..................I know you guys thought I was going to LOLOL
    BT

6. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

agreed. I've been flirting with these at a music store here in Atlanta. Nice headroom for an 84-equipped amp. did the side-by side with his Delux 22 last week, the Seventeen actually has more headroom/louder clean tones than the 6v6 equipped delux. I was surprised.

both are distinctive, great sounding amps...had a little impromptu jam with another guy, a relic strat and a custom shop nocaster...all kinds of nice tonality going on, just depends on what your flavor is...I'd take either if these over any Dr. Z I've played.

7. RKHIII

RKHIII Member

Absolutely love my Super 17...and my Delux 22. Wrote a review of my Super 17 on Harmony Central but haven't gotten around to writing a review of my Delux 22 quite yet. Both are amazing amps though and are wonderful together in stereo. Good luck... --Roy

8. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Hey Roy...do you own the prototype 22???...if you do, what a killer amp...heard it yesterday at Richards.....
    BT

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I owned a Maz 18 JR 2x12 combo with Reverb.

I got to hear the Goodsell in a 2x10 (the Eristic) and Bozotones 1x12 the other day and I can tell you the Maz aint in the same Ballpark as the Goodsell. The Goodsell is an organic lively sounding amp with touch and feel and sweet Tone. For me the Maz was an animal I tried to teach tricks to but it would never learn them. It was a fight and a struggle from the moment I got it till the day it left me. I got my money back out of it so it was OK.

10. Silverboy

Silverboy Member

Just took possession of the first of the purple super 17s....1x12 G12H. Pretty entertaining beast. Incredible high-end, which overwhelmed me right out of the box, but now I'm digging it.--not piercing in a fender way though, but exceptional presence and treble response. The tone knob really acts as a gain knob also; once you get past about 11 o'clock, it doesn't really get brighter but gainier. Gorgeous clean sounds. Haven't had a chance to gig with it, but a buddy of mine, who's been playing guitar with Son Volt, came by and checked it out, and was also pretty impressed....

Richard Goodsell says he designed it with a strat in mind, but my 59 historic LP sounds great, particularly since the pronounced high end gives the neck pickup some great bite...

Also, any Nashville gearpagers want to give it a whirl, let me know

[​IMG]

11. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Also, it will take a while for that Heritage G12H to smooth out...mine is just starting to after about 20 hrs. of "real" playing...this might be contributing to the surprising top end...Ohhhh, it gets better.....
    BT

12. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

Just had to put in my 2 cents worth about the Goodsell Super 17. This amp is a unique animal among amps. It has a huge, full, lush tone that completely fills the room. You can't get a bad tone out of it! Richard is a wonderful guy to talk to and will help in any way he can to guide you with the amp. If at all possible I suggest you try one out. It sounds great with single coils, humbuckers and p-90's. It responds well to pedals too!

13. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

I have had both a Maz 18 jr 2x10 with reverb and currently have the Super 17 1x12 combo. The Z is a really nice amp which can go from Fender to Vox/Marshallish type tones. The reverb was always kind of noisy though. I dug the amp for smaller venues but sold it to try other amps. The Super 17 is a simple 3 knob amp that for whatever reason just does it for me.

It is the best recording amp I've ever had due to the great master volume on it. It also has become my favorite go to amp as most of my gigs are smaller clubs these days. From clean to crunch this amp is so easy to control. This amp has plenty of clean headroom if needed but it breaks up so perfectly, at least for me.

When I first tried out this amp I was able to compare it with several Matchlesses, an Orange and a Vox AC300CC. All good amps but the Goodsell just has this pure unadulterated tone that is both raw and pure at the same time. What can I say, it just works for me.

14. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I met the maker and played through several at a guitar show several months back. Absolutley fantastic clean tones - especially coming from a small package. I was truly impressed. They are a bit of a one trick pony though - they do the clean thing extremely well, but the break up is just OK and does not have much depth.