Goodsell Super 17.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by John55, Oct 2, 2006.

1. John55

John55 Member

I think I have finally found the low powered amp I've been looking for. After owning a Maz jr, BFDR and a Blockhead firstborn...this little 2x10 is the winner for me. Fantastic reverb, solid bottom end, thick and chewy tones just seem to ooze out of this amp. It cleans up beautifully with the guitar's volume, yet will will really scream when you wind it up.
    Compared to the Maz jr...well there isn't. It just beats that amp on every comparison I can make. MUCH better reverb, thicker sounding and a much more pleasing OD tone. The BFDR is what it is, but again, the reverb isn't as good, nor is the tone as thick and full. The Maz and the BH are gone.
    I'm running the BFDR and the 17 in a two amp setup, using a Lehle amp switcher...I can't imagine it getting much better!

2. Doodad

Doodad Member

Congrats on joining the club. They are indeed great amps. For the money they are a bargain. But the sound. As I have said before, they make me sound like I wanted to SO bad as a young man.

I am lately running his new 5W and the S17 through the Ric in stereo mode. Very interesting sounds and endless possibilities with effects, and the blend knob on the guitar.

How about a pic?

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

Congratulations!

Ever compare it to a Tophat Club Royale? I just sold my CR and am already wanting it again ... no cash yet though. Anyway, I'm wondering if the Goodsell would do the job too. I also noticed that the Super 17 comes as a head!

4. John55

John55 Member

Never tried a CR, but had a King Royale for a short time. That amp just did not excite me so it left as well. It was a head so I tried it through various cabs and speakers...never could find the tone I wanted.
    The Super 17 is different, it really doesn't sound like anything else I have owned. The cleans are somewhat like a tweed Fender in that they are thick and lush sounding, but have more chime like a Vox. The crunch and OD are much like a Marshall, but yet not quite the same. Not sterile or cold like a BF amp can be, yet crisp and articulate like they are. Hard to describe but absolutely killer to listen to.

Don't have any pic's yet, but their site has a green combo that I think is a 2x10. If so, that's what mine looks like...might even be my amp!

5. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

The Goodsell doesn't suck...this is for sure. I found that mine was a tad harsh (depending on which guitar I was using) initially, but after a few weeks when the speakers broke in it's been MUCH smoother.

Congrats! :)

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Congrats in the Goodsell!

7. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

I have one too, but in a black Marshall-style cab and an effects loop. (Who needs reverb?;^) I absolutely love it. I haven't yet discovered all the tones available in it, since I've been banned from the basement while the Son recorded all summer. I wanna A/B/Y it with the Clairmont Super 17 112. Yum!

BLP

8. Doodad

Doodad Member

Yeah, what speakers did you get and how old is it? They change as they age. As everything burns in the sound smooths out and a shimmer and reverb come in to the mix.

9. John55

John55 Member

Amp is pretty recent, I think the dealer only had it a couple of weeks when I showed up and bought it. Eminence speakers... Copper Head and Rajun Cajun.

10. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

what a wonderful amp! have had my 1 x12 combo for about 2 months now w/ super great results. (out of stock square cab version w/ a funky simulated rough wood tolex finish/wheat grill, green pilot gem and a 40 year old output tranny. bought her empty and put in an old G12H, so she was way broken in from day one. I'd post a picture if I only knew how?? find that she really comes alive after a good half hour). used her last night for an alt/country singer/song-writer gig @ Kenny's Castaways in NYC w/ my '65 Guild Starfire 3 through an Ernie Ball volume pedal, COT50, Tremulator and a Dan-Echo - the gain & tone knobs set @ 2:30 o'clock and the volume @ b/w 8 and 8:30 o'clock... just dialing in with the volume pedal, there was so much frickin' thick chimy tone, volume and sweet gain that I only stepped on the COT50 to boost up to play slide! this is such a ridiculously fine amp! a bit of tweed meets a good dose of vox meet a bit of marshall meets Richard's mental tonal circuit concept blended together and you're on a tonal magic carpet ride from the 50's to way beyond tomorrow... thanks Richard, you are the man! :AOK

11. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations!
    I have this exact same rig. I know what you mean when you say "solid bottom end" [those Emi 10's really are that good!] and "thick and chewy tones...oozing out of this amp."! I'm gonna try the 210 AND the S17 with my ToneBone A/B/Y switch, maybe today. (Have a big day at the office though.) I'm hot to try this. I've already done it with the S17 and the '59 Bassman RI. Wow!

I really feel fortunate for having been in the right place (in this case, Atlanta Discount Music) at the right time, for once in my life. It's almost like scoring front row seats to your favorite entertainer, but you get to keep watching and listening till you die. Unless you ARE your favorite entertainer.
    I know I'm mine;^) LOL!

BLP

12. John55

John55 Member

Whether or not it's necessary is up to each individual. I use a touch of reverb all the time because I like the sound over a plain dry signal...and on this amp it is REALLY GOOD.

13. mkg

mkg Member

BleedingEdge, you've got a win/win there. I've weaned myself off reverb, just a personal choice, so I went with the 1x12 and British Celestion G12H.
    My band covers stuff from Stones and Beatles to Hall & Oates and OJays and many points in between, and does some originals, too.
    My Super 17 handles it all with no problem.
    I'd say your choice comes down to how much you want/need reverb.
    You really can't lose either way.

14. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

Not to change the subject, I am wondering how the Mesa Lonestar Special compares to the S17? Both being el84 amps, is the mesa in the same league as the Goodsell.
    Thanks

15. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

I just played a gig my Goodsell Super 17 1x12 combo with my new to me Tim Tone t-4s "Dr. Rico"...

...the venue was Verizon Hall in the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia opening for the indigo girls! I think we played to about 500-1500 people, and man if it wasn't a surreal, amazing experience!

My other amp is a TopHat Supreme 16 w/ a 2x12 cab. These are very different amplifiers. The TopHat has a lot more depth, if you ask me, and that's not just the 2 12" speakers vs. just the 1. The Supreme 16 has a cut that remains smooth, just enough gain for my needs, good volume for my needs, totally musical instantly accessible feedback which the Goodsell hasn't gotten for me yet. It's also pretty versitile, although I don't think anywhere near as versatile as the Goodsell even with just it's 3 knobs (which really cover a lot of ground and affect the sound pretty dramatically- although there's not a bad sound in this amp). The TopHat feels processed just ever so slightly- by that I mean you're hearing a very "finished" guitar sound out of the speakers, whereas I think the Goodsell sounds like it's waiting to have something done to it. That said, I have found that the TopHat really screams to be dimed, this is not the case with the Goodsell that mews "do with me what you will." I like that.

I've used both extensively on Arizona's recordings and the Goodsell gets used all over our forthcoming record "Life is Great." No doubt about it, the Goodsell gives you more of the sound of your guitar. I gather that is what these babies are gaining popularity over. The punch this thing packs is unbelievable, although it is a more direct sound with less depth than the TopHat. There is about as much gain, maybe a little less- it makes me work harder on the guitar, and I like that. The simplicity of the amp is genius, and with my TimTone running through it, I actually don't have any tone knobs on the guitar or EQ on the amp and I like that a lot. The amazing thing about the Goodsell is how it achieves a signature tone through just letting your guitar sing. My Ruokangas sounds absolutely heavenly through this amp- a bit more polished sounding that way, and I'm sure I'll pull out the Ruo at a show soon but I am having fun with the t-4s. The t-4s has a sound that is completely unique- you can reference it with a 335 if you must, but really this thing is it's own beast and is finding a lot of work with Arizona. It has so much character, even completely clean- it just sounds unique, and robust at every dynamic level. The TimTone loves the Goodsell for this reason; it allows it's totally unique tone to shine through uninhibited.

If I could only have one, I think it's a no brainer, the Goodsell is cheaper by a lot, is super portable and totally usable at every gig level (we've now played from 15 people to 1500), has an unbelievable volume control, is stupidly easy to operate, looks unique but understated. I want another 1x12 Goodsell, this one with reverb.

The TopHat is still sick though and, like I said, it's a different sound and one I have every intention of using very often. The Indigo Girls had an impressive arsenal of guitars on stage with them tonight; I'm not so much for having a million guitars, but I do like to change my rig up and it would be great to one day blend these two amps... Probably my dream rig would be a saturated TopHat dry in the middle with Goodsells in stereo around it!

16. dbx

dbx Member

What are the differences between the Clairmont Super 17 112, Super 17, and Super 17 MkII?

17. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

Welcome to the club. I'm a very happy Goodsell S17 and Goodsell 5 owner. I use the S17 for club gigs, parties, etc., and the 5 for a church gig I have. Beautiful, rich chimey sound.

I like the Goodsells so much that my Sommatone, Vox AC30CC! and just about every other amp i have are for sale.

18. Jatmosphere

The Clairmont Super 17 112 is the short run "re-issues" of the original
    Super 17 (I think Richard wrote that he [had] 15 left on his website a few weeks ago. checkout - http://www.superseventeen.com/rumors.html.
    has the original smaller hammond chassis & tranny, black front, non-reverb only).
    the Super 17 MkII - has the RG designed larger amp chassis, gold plexi control panel, available w/ or w/o reverb. up until recently you had the choice of the same
    1 x 12" cab as the "re-issue Clairmont S17" or the larger "Marshall blues breaker" 1 x12", 2 x 10" or head style cabs. now I guess he's going towards only using the Marshall BB style combo and head cabs? I'm sure if you called or emailed Richard, he would give you the full history.
    I've had mine for about 6 weeks and all my other amps (all vintage fender's) are collecting dust! :jo TOTALLY KILLER AMPS! :AOK

19. John55

John55 Member

I've not had a chance to try the 1x12 version, just the 2x10 that I bought plus the head through a 2x12 cab. The dealer has had both and said the 2x10 seems to go better with humbuckers. I play a LP mostly so that was fine by me. The head and 2x12 cab sounded very good too, but I wanted the combo and reverb so the 2x10 fit perfectly.

20. Jatmosphere

loving my 1x12"/G12H w/ everything I put through her. '57 LP special, '65 Guild starfire 3, '82/'57 strat re-issue, '64 silvertone and a '95 guild jumbo acoustic?! all sweet, all killer. you can't go wrong either way.