Goodsell Superseventeen!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dukew, Mar 23, 2006.

1. dukew

dukew Supporting Member

Superstition Mountain with Robert in the Bar
    Just got mine today from Atlanta Dis. Mus. and oh my. Ordered it w/reverb and it's killer. *ender Brown/oxblood grillcloth. This is such a cool little amp. Three knobs are it (fourth in back for reverb) and it's perfect. It just has that extra something that equates to a richness of TONE. Can't say enough, THANKS RICHARD! You guys better get on to these before the wait is six months.:AOK :AOK :AOK :AOK

2. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

I agree about this Amp! I talked to Richard about adding reverb and at the time he said it coundn't be done. I guess it has now been done! That is good news. I wish I had it on mine. This is a great little power house with a tone all it's own.

3. rastaman

rastaman Member

Looks like George at ADM has a hot commodity w/ the Goodsells.

4. Doodad

Doodad Member

I do love mine. Makes me a star. Well, that and few beers. I played for hours yesterday. Started a new song and tried all the guitars until the Ric liked it best.

Good choice man.

5. dukew

dukew Supporting Member

Have been playing it since my last thread. The clean is phenomenal, the gain, although not over the top is perfect for blues. The G12H speaker in this amp is very open and broad sounding not so focused and directional like my vintage 30 cabs. It nails Robben Ford's semi-clean tones (the Blue Line Cd) perfectly. I can't say enough about this amp, but GET REVERB, it just adds to the tone (like a good reverb always does). Great amp!

6. rastaman

rastaman Member

IF this dude is using old used stock Hammond organ Xformers, what's going to happen when/if he runs out of them? Is the supply endless? Just curious if this is a concern, not trying to throw any negativity....just curious.

7. Lil'Strat

Lil'Strat Member

Hey, it's Richard using the wife's screen name... more on that later.

You still can't add reverb to the original Super 17; there's just not enough chassis real estate or available filament current on the steel Hammond chassis.

The Mk2 Super 17 is built on a new, larger aluminum chassis that already has all the right holes punched and can accomodate additional tubes and a larger PT. It also allows the use of an EZ81 rectifier as well as the usual octal choices. Not only can it have reverb, but I can use the same chassis for the 4x EL84 33 Custom, which was previously (and painfully) assembled on an aluminum Bud box. This makes life easier all the way around.

I'm real happy with the way Duke's (see above) amp turned out; I didn't think the 17 could get any better, but that reverb kills, and at no tonal expense whatsoever... his was the second, I delivered the 3rd yesterday, and I've got 3 new orders since last night. They will become part of regular production (as opposed to special order) in time for the dallas show...

8. Doodad

Doodad Member

Well that lets me out of reverb on #39. Oh well. That would make the first pedal I felt I needed on this amp.

9. dukew

dukew Supporting Member

Richard knows his stuff as you can see. I don't know all the technical tube info but I knew my did not have the old Hammond Tranny. I can't imagine that would make any difference (an old transformer). This amp couldn't sound any better in my opinion with any other transformer old or new. This is a special tone machine, but get reverb.

10. Lil'Strat

Lil'Strat Member

I would go with an EH Holy Grail... just the basic one. Cheap and good!

11. Lil'Strat

Lil'Strat Member

I'm pretty sure I built Duke's with an old Hammond B3 PT, but the OT is brand-new, paper-wound, made in USA, same exact specs as the old OTs... I probably have 50 or so OTs and about a dozen PTs, but unless the customer absolutely HAS to have old iron, I'm trying to build at least a 60/40 old/new mix; some of the most stellar reviews come from those who had all-new iron. I PROMISE there is no tone compromise. But to answer the question, I still have a lot of service contacts in the Hammond business who are saving them for me as they come through their shops... these trannies are a naturally occuring by-product of anyone engaged in serious Hammond restoration, but other than a moderate coolness factor, there really is no compelling reason not to use the new ones.

12. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

I agree with the HolyGrail idea except that mine has a high pitched whine in it that causes me to use a Songworks Little Lanilei Reverb instead. The amp sounds great but I still wish I had built in reverb. glad to see the option is available on the new ones! My hat is off to Richard and his continuing innovations in the tone world!

13. loofery

loofery Member

may I ask, how much $ was it?

14. Doodad

Doodad Member

They run about $1500 basic, reverb is a $300 option on available chassis.

15. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

dukew, welcome to the Cult of Goodsell. You will find a lot of different tones with just the three (..oops, four) knobs and none of them bad. The S17 has a great knack for showing off each guitars charateristics.
    rastaman, I have heard several old iron amps right next to the newly wound. The same clarity and punch is there with the new production and they are more consistant amp to amp...Oh yeah, talked to the Beaze last night.....
    BZT

16. rastaman

rastaman Member

BZT I was one the phone w/ him when I read your post :D .

I went in ADM the other day and played a little Traynor and I thought it was OK. It got REAL muddy cranked and there was a tube actually touching the speaker :eek: :jo . I told George that was a design flaw. He said "If money is not an object, I've got the amp for you", he pointed at the Goodsell.

17. Lil'Strat

Lil'Strat Member

It's not THAT expensive; way less than D13, as well as Matchless, Bad Cat, Top Hat, Bogner, Gabriel, 65, Two Rock, Balls, Victoria, Carr, Clark, Dumble, Trainwreck....etc...etc...

If you look at it that way it seems like a relatively efficient tone buy, IMHO...