Goodsell V6, Carr Sportsman, or Tone King Imperial MKii

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BSOD, May 8, 2016.

1. BSOD

BSOD Supporting Member

Hi Everyone,

Brand new to the forum, but have been reading for a while. I have tried a ton of amps searching for one that sounds very similar to a Mesa Boogie Mark I on the clean channel.

I love the blackface sound, with the added fullness of the mids. It really had a full, airy sound, which I loved. However, being mostly a home player, the wattage was WAY too much.

I had about 20 minutes with a Tone King Imperial MKii, and really liked it. However, it was a little harsh with the treble from my 58/07 pickups in my PRS. Didn't have enough time with the knobs to find a fuller rounded sound.

I have also demo'd a Carr Sportsman for about an hour. Beautiful amp, definitely has the mids, however, wasn't as big of a fan of the gain sounds. Tone King was much better for me here with the versatility of the different gain stages

I did like the slight natural compression of the Carr. Like I said, the Tone King sounded a little harsh, but maybe I didn't find the tone I was looking for in the short time I had with it.

I got really close with the Sportsman, but wondered how much versatility this amp would have. I liked that about the Imperial. Lots of tonal variety.

Have not tried a Goodsell, but recently read about the V6 model. The one demo i saw had me intrigued. However, is it more of a tweed style amp? I'm really looking for that sweet blackface tone with a mid boost option.

I'm looking for a clean that can chime, but not sound too trebly. I really liked the rich fullness of a Mesa. Looking for that (I know, overused) 3D sound that has some sort of power scaling feature allowing it to be played and driven at home.

EDIT: Also, looking for an amp that won't fight my pedals. That is important. Guessing most high end boutiques do a nice job with this.

Thanks for the help everyone! If I am missing a better fit, please point me in the right direction. I have played smaller Mesa's and they were missing the magic for me.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  2. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

Old thread, but I'll try.

Imperial mkii was sweet, and I played it with PRSi (408 and Custom 24). That trem is to die for. I might have walked out of the store with it if I didn't already have my Goodsell.

The Goodsell is a Super 17 mkiv. EL84s instead of 6v6, but plenty of chime and articulation, even dirty. By the way, I replaced the 12au7 with a 12ax7 for more dirt at Richard Goodsell's suggestion, and now, I can play my 2016 McCarty straight in with no pedals...but it takes dirtboxes better than any amp I've owned before.

The Imperial is certainly more versatile, and the trem is better, but the Goodsell's trem us still sweet, and I like the Goodsell's dirt better. Course, I prefer MV to attenuators, so that's a big part of it I'm sure.

Not sure how much this helps.

Steve