Goodsell vs. Fender

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shark_bite, Sep 6, 2008.

1. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I can't believe it - I just got back from American Guitar and Band where I spent a good couple hours playing two different Goodsells - a Custom 33 and a Super 17. I've had my eye on the Custom 33 for a pretty long time now, and after sitting with it this afternoon and really working it over, I think I need to have it. I can get a really really good deal on a used one from someone I know, but time is of the essence if I want it. Since I don't have enough available cash, I just put my 72 Deluxe Reverb up for sale on CL.

Is this a mistake? A move I might regret for the rest of my life?

2. justonwo

justonwo Member

I don't think so. Play the gear that moves. It's not like SFDRs are that hard to replace should you decide it was a mistake.

3. mkg

mkg Member

In the past I've owned:
    '62 Brown Super
    '64 Deluxe Reverb
    '67 Deluxe Reverb
    '66 Vibrolux Reverb
    '68 Vibrolux Reverb
    '68 Super Reverb
    '78 Twin Reverb

At present I own:
    Goodsell Super 17
    Allen Hot Fudge w/Nuts

The old Fenders were/are great amps, but I don't miss them a bit.
    The Allen is a fine amp.
    The Goodsell is in a league of its own.

4. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

+1. I've owned a S17 mk2 combo, head and one of Richard's G5 and if I had scratch laying around, I'd scoop up one of his new Super 17 mk3 amps in a New York minute!

GET THE GOODSELL!

5. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Ultimately I've made the decision to do it... I just have to find someone willing to part with the cash for my Deluxe. Admittedly I'm asking about as much as I can get away with asking for it and I've said my price is firm, so it might not sell soon enough. Or at all. And I suppose if it doesn't, I have no complaints...

Fortunately for me, I did some poking around with willhutch in my newest acquisition, which was the Princeton that was converted to a Princeton Reverb. Well, it was actually converted to more of a Deluxe with 6L6s, and it pushes about 25W now. When I plug it into the Deluxe's speaker it's pretty hard to tell the difference between the two amps, although I think the DR might have a nicer sounding breakup sound at higher volumes. But still, that should tide me over till I have the spare cash to get another old Deluxe, which I would probably see myself doing sooner or later.

6. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Okay, I'm asking $1200 for the SFDR. It's probably a little too much and thus there hasn't been much interest. So now I have a real decision to face:

1) Sell 2 amps? Which two? I really. like. all. of. them. Maybe I could let go of the Bass Mate too, but I'd still have to drop the price on the DR and ultimately let go of that too. If I find that I have spare cash later, I might be able to find another SFDR or BFDR, but finding another Bass Mate will take more than money - it'll take time and patience too.

2) Sell a guitar and an amp? I've got lots of both, maybe this is a better way to go?

3) Give up, forget about it, and keep playing what I have.

The gear list is in my signature - if you needed $1300 ASAP what in that signature would you let go of? The only ones that aren't going anywhere are the PR (better if I hang onto that one) and the MIJ Tele, because that's more of a Partscaster now and is my #1 axe, hands-down.

7. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Anybody?

I think I might just give up on this one and keep the Deluxe, for lack of another real option in the first place.

8. mbratch

mbratch Member

That's quite a personal choice. What I might like to play from your list and what you might like to play are probably different. You should perhaps try listing them in order of how much you enjoy playing them, or how much time you spend playing them to give you an idea of which to let go first. Or you can create a decision chart listing each item, a couple or few evaluative attributes (tone quality, collectibility, etc) assign values in each one, add them up, and sell the ones with the lowest numbers. :)

But if you want to know what I'd do, I'd probably sell one of the Tele's (since there are two), and the Traynor (since the other 3 amps in your list are very desirable). If that's not enough, then I'd go after the 74 Princeton Reverb since I gig quite a bit and the other two remaining amps are much better for gigging.

9. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

You would have more overlap on the SFDR than the others, even though they don't really sound alike...they accomplish the same thing. It's hard to explain, but that would be my choice. I will say this...the hollow bodies through Goodsells sounds freaking amazing. It is one of the tones in my head. Any ES Gibson will do it. So plan accordingly. :p

10. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I've got a bunch of old Fenders.......But since getting my S17 I find I don't play them much at all anymore. Richard's got a winner in his design. I love old amps, but some of the new stuff out there especially Goodsell's are just amazing.

By the way I've played that 33 you're talking about and it's a stellar amp.

11. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I'm looking for a working band to fall into right now, and have been/will be auditioning with a few. So far nothing's been a good fit, but there are two more on the horizon right now and who knows what else will happen... at any rate, I caught the one I'm most interested in playing with last night, and that really solidified my need for the Goodsell... all these gigs are with bands playing at the same kind of places for the same sizes of crowds. The guy on the way out in that particular band was using a Maz 38 and two TS-808s. Cranked. I think we all know a Deluxe sounds fantastic at any volume level, but I think also all know that the Deluxe doesn't reach high enough volume levels for some gigs. Sure I could always mic it, but if the rest of the band is too loud then I'm relying on monitors, and most of these groups are using in-ears, which I abhor, so I feel a need for getting enough stage volume to make it work without having to have both ears plugged with monitors. The volume issue is the reason I heard of Goodsell in the first place - I got the DR, it wasn't loud enough for my church gig, and I had to keep using my Vibrolux until I traded it for the Bassman. While I was in that process I started looking around for something else, and that's when I was turned on to these amps.

So... sadly... I'm just going to keep trying. I might let go of a Tele too, because as someone stated above, it's not like I don't have more than one of those lying around. It's going to hurt every time I think about it if I have to sell both of these, but getting a Custom 33 for $1300 should make me feel better.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008