Goodsell

gwr

Anyone have any experience with the Goodsell super 17 mk2? I'm looking for a 'blues' type amp for my PRS and while I'm using a Maz 38 1x12 which I really like I find myself wanting something else at the same time,maybe it's just GAS.I am concerned that it won't have enough headroom when I want clean,anyone??

jamesrsmith

if you like amps that have good cleans and sound about 12 watts, this will fill that need. but, i owned a goodsell for 6 years. nonreverb, original hammond transformer. very nice amp but not real loud sounding. i would NOT call the goodsell super 17 a clean headroom amp at ALL, kinda like wanting to know if the monza has clean headroom. the goodsell is a great great sounding amp. but it i just not really loud. and some people like that. i played out with it once with a blues guy who played really low volume keyboards and a bass player who didnt play real loud. it worked great, but if you have a drummer and other guys, the amp wont keep up. i like richard goodsell, he is very supportive, but in my opinion you should look elsewhere. here is a bedroom clip of me and the goodsell, no effects http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0B5XxXcRKE

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
Goodsell's are great amps. I am using a Super 17 5/17 head. I think the amp is perfect for blues and rock. It is obviously not going to have as much clean headroom as your Maz 38, but IMHO it has a nice amount of clean headroom for a 17 watt amp, especially with single coil pups. The cleans are chimey/3D and the edge of breakup tones is where the amp excels. It also loves all of my pedals. Tremendous customer service and Richard is one of the nicest people that I have spoken to.

soapbarp90

Gold Supporting Member
Ditto. I have a Super 17 MkII with 2x10's and it sounds great at all settings.
It's fairly loud when cranked up but not in a league with 30-50 watt amps.
It won't keep the headroom like those or blow the roof off.
It sounds especially sweet with my PRS and an assortment of drive pedals - TS, Barber Tone Pump, FullDrive, etc.

gwr

Well you have to understand when I play the Maz 38 it's only about a 1/4 of the way up because it's really a loud amp so I don't need all that power or headroom this is why I thought 17 watts would fit the bill for my semi/dirty amp and I have a Mazerati 1x12 for my clean tones.

Dumo

Silver Supporting Member
I own one and love it but yeah it's not loud enough for most drummers I know. It breaks up pretty early too. Not very much headroom. I'd look at the 33 or look else where. Goodsell Black Dog 50?

GTRJohnny

It's tough to beat the lil' Super 17 for ease of use and easy carry - and it sounds quite nice. It's a lot of stuff in such a tiny package. If I didn't have my Clark, I'd be looking at one. Heck, might anyway. Met Richard a couple times at the NY Show. Nice guy with a well finished off amp line.

RAILhead

(real name is Maury, BTW)
Silver Supporting Member
My go-to amp! I will never sell my Goodsell Super 17. I run mine clean with one of my PURE Clean Boost pedals, just to bring it to the edge of break-up. Gorgeous cleans.

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I've played a LOT of amps...turned a lot over personally as well. My #1 is my Goodsell S17 2x10. It sounds like the volume is exactly what you're looking for. I think it has plenty of head room, although not crystal clear, at volume, but just have to come off the Gain. For small to medium sized gigs...it works great. I've only had one gig where I thought it was underpowered and that place held about 150-200 people.
As for the tone...it's been compared and spoken about a lot. I had a recording session where I was on the complete opposite side of the stage as the band, had my gain and volume at 3 o'clock, playing with a thinline Tele with humbuckers...and it was a fire breathing tone monster. With P-90's....it just has bite, in an old school amp kind of way. I've giged dozens of times with it...and it's never let me down. I can't say enough good htings about it.

Lastly...and THIS is the amazing thing. My amp was stolen almost 2 years ago. I called Richard to see if he had the serial number as I had the original owners name. While he did not know the number as it was before he kept track...he did get a call from a pawn shop asking about my amp. He forwarded me the info, and I ultimately got my amp back because of him. Just amazing.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom