• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Goofy Myths and Dumb Advice You’ve Heard

Mars Rover

It makes me nuts when internet experts tell you not to screw with your truss rod. Are there people who should go nowhere near an instrument with a tool in their hand? Sure there are. However, most manufacturers provide instructions (usually poor ones) and some include a wrench. I don’t think I’ve even seen warnings from manufacturers. No fear from them. So what are some others?

Last edited:

brc

Playing an electric guitar without using an amp will damage the guitar itself

Any guitar will go up in value over time was a favorite myth I have heard many times.

There are a couple more, but I know those would start a huge discussion, or disagreement, so I will keep those to myself

Last edited:

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
I'd like to kill the sumbeyotch that told me chicks dig guitar players.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
That there are certain Strats for jazz, certain guitars for Sade/Sting, certain amps for worship, et al.

M

Member 37136

The very notion of a "blues guitar" or better yet, a "blues rig."

Amps that "take pedals well."

Mars Rover

I especially like it when it's preceded by "You HAVE to spend weeks trying out as many as you can because..."
Like these NGD's where the guy plays dozens of the same model until he finds one that speaks to him. Well maybe, but why does this only apply to Fenders and Gibsons. Does that mean we're safe with any old Dean or Ibanez? I'm thinking they only play dozens becasue dozens are available. I don't see fans of Musicman obsessing oveer this stuff.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Like these NGD's where the guy plays dozens of the same model until he finds one that speaks to him. Well maybe, but why does this only apply to Fenders and Gibsons. Does that mean we're safe with any old Dean or Ibanez? I'm thinking they only play dozens becasue dozens are available. I don't see fans of Musicman obsessing oveer this stuff.
One funny thing about this is that I've NEVER seen anyone adjust pickups in a guitar at a store. This includes when I worked in a guitar shop with hundreds and hundreds of people comparing guitars before purchase.

In reality, we're really spending most of our time singing the praises of the guitar that just happened to have the nicest setup. :D

RRfireblade

One at a time stringing or else neck death.

High output pups for rock/metal are a must.

Any brand X guitar sounds like....

^ Also goes with buying the same rig as X and you will sound like him/her/them.

I'd like to kill the sumbeyotch that told me chicks dig guitar players.
This one is fact. I've been with girls WAY to hot to have been with me otherwise.

:)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom