Google Nexus 7 users - How do you really like it?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by yspokes, Jan 30, 2013.

1. yspokes

yspokes Member

I've been looking at buying a small tablet, and the Nexus 7 looks like the one to get in the 7 inch class. I will never buy an Apple product (I used to be an Apple certified tech back in the day, and I know what kind of stuff they use in them), so this looks like the one for me. What do those that have one say? I'm interested to know.

2. deanmass

deanmass Member

I had a Nexus for a day. Dead robot after dead robot. Returned.

No offense, but, idc if you are Woz, Apple's hardware is excellent, as is ios.I have had iPads since v1, not one issue. Back in the day simply does not apply here, but I get it if you wanna go non-Apple.

That said, for $200, the Nexus was promising, and I bought early, so I chalk it up to early production issues. The chassis was light and the size perfect ( I am typing this on a iPad mini), but a step down from an iPadwhich is not bad. If want Android, it is the one.

3. PhilF

PhilF Member

What is the dead robot you're talking about? Serious question.

To the OP, I know its not a 7, but I love my nexus 10. I much prefer Android over ios, and I love the nexus line of products. My 10 has been great since day 1. One of my good friends has the 7 and I've only played with it for an hour or so, but it's a great tablet. If you're going android and 7" I'd definitely suggest it.

4. Don't Post

Don't Post Member

d00d get a Mirc0s0ft surface! no joke.

5. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member

I just got a Nexus 7 about a week ago. Loving it so far.

6. James M

James M Silver Supporting Member

I really like my Nexus 7 (I got one of the early ones), but I do have some issues with screen flickering. Otherwise, its great for my purposes (Netflix, email, web).

7. Bitflogger

Bitflogger Member

Screen quality for reading is great but the product is otherwise hurt by Android apps not in the same league as those for Apple devices.

What I said may or may not be important. If this is for www browsing, email and a few popular applications it doesn't matter. If you want a tablet for business or being a musician the platform might matter a lot.

I like to think I have equal opportunity bias (fair assessment) when I make these statements. I own stock in both of Google and Apple as well as use and support both platforms in my work.

8. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

I downsized from an ASUS Transformer Tf101 and the Nexus is a better size for me. I had the kbd for the Transformer but really only used it as a battery backup. The spell check is so much better, and I have had no hardware issues. This may come as a surprise, but I have much better synching with Android and a PC than I ever did with an iPhone, iMac, and Macbook Pro.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

9. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins?

I won an Asus nexxus 7 as a prize for being a bad ass at work, but you know, the camera doesn't even work on the thing. I put skype on it, and apparently whatever version of ICS or Jellybean it updated itself to does not support the camera..Hell, I am not even sure how to find an app to even test the camera, as it does not seem to "be there" in any hardware list or settings list that I can find..

Anyone got a hint on this issue?

So I have a brand new lightening fast tablet that the camera doesn't even work on..

Free is free, but damn, a non-working, unsupported camera? Seriously?

10. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

My camera works fine, what about calling the company and asking? It should have a warranty. I think you would have better luck with them than TGP.

11. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

I got one the day they were released. Never had a problem with it and does everything I need. I own an Ipad 2 and also had the first 4 iPhones and now have a Nexus 4. I am a long time Mac user but have migrated to Nexus devices because I like them better. I still have two Macbook's but I think their replacements will be Ultrabooks running Linux.

12. xmentalpilot

xmentalpilot Supporting Member

:aok

13. geetarplayer

geetarplayer Member

:spit

14. wilerty

wilerty Member

I'm old ... tried one ... the screen was just too small for me. Worked great though ...

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

Love mine! Screen is the perfect size and it works great. I've had it since November. Lightning quick, and since it's an 'official' Google device it gets all the updates before anything else.

Also tried an iPad mini. Hated it. Too big to hold with one hand, too small to hold with two hands. Screen is blurry when compared to Nexus or a bigger iPad. Price is over double of a Nexus.

The Nexus is just right. It's phenomenal.

16. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Can you be more specific about the apps? I don't use many apps, but the ones I use are flawless and seem to be the "official" ones: (facebook/hbogo/ebay/iheartradio/imdb/tdbank/twitter/soundcloud/paypal/youtube/pandora, etc.)

How/why are any of them "better" on iOS?

17. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

The only app I don't care for is the one I use for TGP, Forum Runner. Just an awful attempt at one size fits all. A very quirky, stubborn app with few usable features.

18. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins?

Just asked a "guru" here at work and the guy said his wife's was this way when they got hers at XMAS and he pointed me to directions for the method of returning it to factory fresh specs. he said this worked for them, so I will try tonite when I get home.

Cannot believe I did not think of this myself..:dunno

19. janosfia

janosfia Member

Each of my children got one for Christmas. My only quibble is that if my kids turn them completely off or let the battery die they seem to take a while to turn back on.

Other than that, they are great.

20. yspokes

yspokes Member

Thanks for all of the comments!