Goop! Electrical 12V DIY question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by GuiltySpark, Jul 24, 2008.

1. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

Not exactly pedal related.... but I'm working on a prototype circuit for another hobby of mine. I'm building a simple PWM dimmer and control circuit for LEDs.

Now for my question. This will be used in a damp marine environment (but not submerged). I either need to goop the circuit (like I see some pedal builders do), or use a plastic water resistant enclosure. Max I only need 1.5" x 2" x 1" or so... I'm flexible there!

Can someone input on what material the goop is made of and if it is suitable for keeping moisture and salt spray out? Or maybe suggest a place to buy small non-metal enclosures?

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Most of the time the goop is one of three things, epoxy, silicon, or glue (from a glue gun). My opinion is that you will probably want a marine grade epoxy. Don't use JB Weld though, it contains metal particles and will screw with electricity.

3. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

4. TED STEVENSON

TED STEVENSON Member

Place the circuit in a small plastic enclosure and then pour this in the box.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/832frb.html

It's resistant to all sorts of stuff.

5. TopBooster

TopBooster Member