1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gosh but I like hollow guits with P90s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hitchcockblonde, Feb 17, 2006.

1. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

Just had to say it. There's something so primal sounding about my Hamer Artist (semihollow) with P90s. Yeah, it feeds back, yeah it hums, yeah there's that sort of bump in the mids. All part of the charm. It's so RAWK, baby! 'Specially played through a little tube amp pushed hard, no effects.

Any other fans of the raw 'n' the dirty?

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yeah baby! It's one of those classic combinations that almost always sounds stellar. Amazingly, I don't have that combo...yet. Still looking for just the right one. I can't believe that PRS doesn't offer P-90s on their HB! Something tells me it's coming. AC

3. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Amen, my brother. Preach the word! :RoCkIn

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

Each time I break out my Gibson ES-5 I'm amazed at how good it sounds! On the semi-hollow front my TCM Royal is a favorite too! My chambered Cloud 9 R4 is no slouch either.............I'll stop here

5. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I can dig it fella's. My Delia has Fralin P-92's, and it's a beast! :). No buzz from the pup's, and no feedback from the guitar. I don't know how thathappened, but I'm loving it!

6. hemlock

hemlock Guest

If you're not dirty, you're not diggin' deep enough!

I'm a failry recent P90 convert. I just can't make humbuckers work well for me and singe coils are a little to 'polite' for what I have in my head. P90s have the juice- especially paired with a Melancon!

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I just put a deposit on a custom Rowan Montara II, which is semi-hollow, 1 'f' hole, and I'm having him install 3 Vintage Vibe P90s, which have user-changeable ceramic & alnico magnets. It will be my first P90 guitar since the two 50s Gibson P90s guitars I had in the 60s.

It will be similar to this one, but with a TonePros wraparound bridge, gold hardware & 3 x P90s...

http://www.faziosmusic.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RowanMontaraII40504

8. Rama

Rama Member

Such a fine, fine sound.

I get it with a Hamer Monaco III and a Gibson 135

9. dgassie

dgassie Member

Just the type of thread I was looking for.
    Help me out here guys. Which pups for an Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II. I want a raunchy Blues tone...forget about "Jazz Box"!

Thanks!

10. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

Hollow guitar with P-90's? I've been wailing on a beat '49 ES-5 for awhile - three P-90's and a lot of air are indeed a nice combination.

11. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

You guys are killing me. I just ordered a hybrid Hollow Chapin Hawk with Alnico p-90s. I've only got another 9 month wait.

12. Raymund

Raymund Member

You are right, but the Artist Custom with HB´s isn´t bad either (incredible open 3 dimensional sound) :)

[​IMG]

I also love the P-90´s in a solidbody and are GASing for a Hamer Special with P-90´s.

13. Rama

Rama Member

dgassie....I'd go with Phat Cats...gumbucker sized p-90s

14. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I have a MIJ 70s Epi Riviera. I have a set of Gibby '57s sitting around, but I keep wondering about putting a set of Phat Cats or Kent Armstrongs in it.

15. echo unit

echo unit Member

Splatt,

What differs on the HD VP-90's from the regular Gibson P-90's or the Jason Lollar version of P-90's?

What do the HD's do that the others do not? What makes them so special for you?

Also, what makes the Hipshot trem better than the wilkinson VS100 or others. I notice that this is your bridge of choice. Is the arm nice and solid feeling or does it jiggle around and the hole wears after a while?

16. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

So charming that I've decided to mod my Huber Redwood (hollow korina / redwood / ebony) - I'll take out the HB in the bridge and put another P90HB instead.
    The neck P90HB is just so dimensional that I've decide to convert the whole guit' to P90s....

Keep on preachin' !

JJ

[​IMG]

17. Antero

Antero Member

Jesus on a pogo stick, look at the top on that thing!

18. DamianP

DamianP Member

By way of some self promotion!
    My favourite guitar:
    [​IMG]

19. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member