• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Got $200 - Boss Katana 50 or Blackstar ID Core 40?

Meals

My main rig at home is an Amplifire through monitors, but I want a modeling amp for the basement to mess around with when I'm home alone. I've got my eye on the Katana 50 and the Blackstar ID Core 40. Any suggestions?

Geiri

For my ears I'd say id core. I own id core 10 and the main rig is an ax8. I went to demo the 50w katana and did not like it at all. I was very disappointed since online reviews are positive and I really wanted this to be my noodling in the tv room amp.

mattball826

IDC40 is based on a full range pr of 6.5"speakers, and about 10.5 w rms scale to each speaker. It can get loud for a small bedroom amp or office amp. Great for travel too. I take mine in the hotel rooms or green room pre show. The emulated output is pretty good. You can also use it as small stereo amp for other devices since it is full range. Great practice tool. Light and very compact

K50 is much bigger in size, louder, but doesn't have that massive super wide stereo effect that can really fill a room with sound.

Look around, you can find IDC40's for less than $100 now that V2 has been released. I paid $119 at GC for mine. IDC40 V2 isn't much different imo. They did tweak the bottom end some when using the high gain modes. I'm not sure if it's a tweak or a different speaker design.

jageya

i just returned a idcore40 head to musicians friend...109......liked my id260tvp alot better

radiolab

its's from an older generation modeler, but look into the fender mustang series. I had a katana and an idcore100 and decided the mustang sounded a lot better. I wanted to like the katana and blackstar more because it was newer and I thought it looked better than the mustang. When I got over the looks, it was easily the winner. Effects are great. Tuner is great. Amp models are great. Easy to use. Very light. I also own a helix and I tend to gravitate toward the mustang because of it's use of use and lack of having to plug other things in (the helix needs some kind of monitoring).

Chris@TGP

Blackstar TVP sounds much, much better to my ears than CORE. It frankly shocks me that the CORE amps have been so successful, if people have tried both CORE and TVP. To each one's own, but to me, the differences are remarkable. It's also disheartening that they're on V2 of CORE, but seem to have left TVP to languish, with Korg now even discontinuing distribution of the TVP heads in the United States.

Between Katana and CORE, I'd go Katana. If I were buying for the first time now, I might even skip the TVP amps, given Blackstar's seeming neglect of the line. That said, having played both, I still prefer the flexibility of the TVP amps to the relatively narrow range of voicings available in the Katana, but there's no doubt the BOSS amps sound great.
Thanks for that, very interesting to read, as I was contemplating a TVP vs Katana for my band

blackmonday

Silver Supporting Member
its's from an older generation modeler, but look into the fender mustang series. I had a katana and an idcore100 and decided the mustang sounded a lot better. I wanted to like the katana and blackstar more because it was newer and I thought it looked better than the mustang. When I got over the looks, it was easily the winner. Effects are great. Tuner is great. Amp models are great. Easy to use. Very light. I also own a helix and I tend to gravitate toward the mustang because of it's use of use and lack of having to plug other things in (the helix needs some kind of monitoring).
I have a Gdec 3 (remember those?) and its excellent! One of my projects for the upcoming year will be to upgrade the speaker and rock that thang!

mattball826

Blackstar TVP sounds much, much better to my ears than CORE. It frankly shocks me that the CORE amps have been so successful, if people have tried both CORE and TVP. To each one's own, but to me, the differences are remarkable. It's also disheartening that they're on V2 of CORE, but seem to have left TVP to languish, with Korg now even discontinuing distribution of the TVP heads in the United States.

Between Katana and CORE, I'd go Katana. If I were buying for the first time now, I might even skip the TVP amps, given Blackstar's seeming neglect of the line. That said, having played both, I still prefer the flexibility of the TVP amps to the relatively narrow range of voicings available in the Katana, but there's no doubt the BOSS amps sound great.
TVP is 4 years old. Of course they are ending production. That's beyond the standard.
IDC 10,20,40 V1 were going on 3 years.

Katana is newer so is IDC power series 100/150.

You can find a ID260 for about the same price as Katana. ID260 is stereo and capable of far more versatile tones than Katana.

Really, like all things its best to compare them in store. You may have a hard time finding ID series with TVP.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I'd try to find a used THR10 first for home use. I bought mine off CL in perfect shape with the bag for $200 and solid it to someone else for the same price down the road.

KenG

I don't what happened to the TVP series and why the heck the ID CORE have become their modelling line of choice instead. Maybe it was because the TVP successfuly blurred the lines between Tube amp performance and operation and Modelling which didn't sit as well wqith either audience. I've owned both though and the CORE was a toy IMO and the tones were hard to dial in, especially without accessing the tone controls via PC on the smaller versions and their OD tones were not at all pleasing to my ears. Sure the Stereo was cute but guitars aren't stereo to begin with so.....

jageya

I don't what happened to the TVP series and why the heck the ID CORE have become their modelling line of choice instead. Maybe it was because the TVP successfuly blurred the lines between Tube amp performance and operation and Modelling which didn't sit as well wqith either audience. I've owned both though and the CORE was a toy IMO and the tones were hard to dial in, especially without accessing the tone controls via PC on the smaller versions and their OD tones were not at all pleasing to my ears. Sure the Stereo was cute but guitars aren't stereo to begin with so.....
maybe the tvp was cutting into their tube amp sales? Maybe they are getting ready to release the tvp2 line soon?

jageya

but the effects many have are stereo and really open up the sound in stereo...

jageya

i agree...the whole idcore v2 thing is somewhat odd to me. I havent compared to the ver 1 but its a strange move unless the idcores are selling really well overall

RolandKorg

why not get another monitor to use with the Amplifire in the basement... Seems like it would give you the best tones of the bunch
That's what i was going to suggest. I've seen JBL LSR305s on craigslist as 'open box' items from a store, for $225/pair. Just grab the Amplifire and take it downstairs. Maybe get an additional power supply so you don't have to do the dance of always needing to squeeze under a sofa or in between boxes to reach your outlet....

patrick2099

The TVP amps are far better than the CORE to my ears. Blackstar doesn't seem to agree, however. I recently found out from their US distributor, Korg, that the heads will no longer be carried for US distribution. They've also gotten relatively little in the way of updates, while the later-introduced CORE models are now on V2. Statements from Blackstar and Korg about the TVP amps have been pretty tepid as well.

It's a shame, because I greatly prefer the "create your own tone" approach over the scroll-through-a-menu of "classic amps" modeling cliche. But it is what it is. I can't recommend anything Blackstar any more as a result. Try the Katana, and if you like the voicing and the tonal range, go for it. BOSS is solid.
I wasn't impressed with the Core line, but I only tried some of the smaller ones, so it probably wouldn't be fair for me to judge them. I liked the TVP 30, when I tried it in the store, but after updating the firmware, it gave lower gain settings some type of strange volume modulation effect. This is well documented on their forums. The technical support regarding this issue was a joke. Sometimes Blackstar said it was a feature and sometimes they just ignored their customers. They supposedly released a patch that fixed this behavior, but after being lied to and then ignored by their support, I doubt I will buy another Blackstar product.

I do like the Blackstars and Katanas having different settings, but not being models of particular amps. I have found some sounds I liked on each, but would like to put them side by side and compare them, when I get a chance. I'd also like to see how they stack up to the new Spider V amps. I can get some sounds I really like out of the HD500/DT25 combo, but they usually take a lot of work and I end up spending more time screwing with the settings than actually playing. That was one of the main reasons I bought the Katana.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom