Got 8K?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ShortyK, Jul 23, 2005.

1. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Those are killer sounding amps, and with the cab worth nearly $3k (if it's what they say it is, they didn't show pics of the handles or the back panel) it'd make a very good deal. On mine, there's two cap cans-one on top and one inside) so I think the caps have been done? Also, it appears the soft aluminum chassis has warped a little to allow that OT to tilt over like that? Still, sounds like a very good deal...

2. Joe

Joe Senior Member

How can they say speakers have never been removed? Maybe it is original solder joints, but that is very hard to prove.

3. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Maybe it was from the original owner and he swears they were never removed, items like these would probably only come from a very trusted customer... so maybe they believe him:)

-TJK

4. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

BUYER BEWARE - The words "just in on consignment" may mean the same thing as “I don't know much about this item, but I am selling it for top dollar anyway.” Translation: There may be a problem I definitely will not accept responsibility for.

Though with $150 to ship likely not refundable, be sure you can return it within a reasonable period of time if it isn't the real deal.

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

save ya money and buy a reissue or a boutique--NOTHING! is worth 8-grand,u need that for retirement.

6. drbob1

I'm going to object here. You can buy new amps for $7k, and when you resell they're going to be worth less. This amp (if it's intact, and I'm not positive it is) will be worth more tomorrow. Not a bad retirement account-and it's a lot of fun while you're waiting. Of course, that always assumes that you sell them when you retire!:D

7. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i do understand bob and would hate to argue,but @ the end of the day its wood and metal,maybe some of the componants aint quite up to speck and may need to be replaced,your money may well do better in an IRA retirement fund..
    anyways enjoy it if u do buy it and make sure u do some recording w/ it.
    take care
    j

8. jjguitarranch

jjguitarranch Member

The scary thing about the amp as an "investment" is that if you blow a transformer it's value plumets.

9. drbob1

How many transformers really get blown? I've played and owned hundreds of amps and never had that problem, so I don't think I'll wait up worrying about it. Even accounting for capital gains tax, gear has done much better than most IRAs in the last 10 years, and you can play it!:dude

10. KCblues

KCblues Member

I'm with Dr. Bob, personally I like having my investments where I can look, touch, feel and hear them.

If you are going very old, say tweed for example, conventional advice is to put a different speaker in and change the handle out, if you are gonna play it that is.

Those poor bastards that worked for Enron should have had their retirement in amps instead of IRA's !

KC

11. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I don't have any $8k amps. With the proper amount of disposable income I'd buy something like this in a heartbeat. I don't see the downside in buying high end, no-excuses vintage gear. When you consider that there are plenty of players that make good money and have large amounts invested in a money market account making almost no interest or mutual funds going backwards I'm not surprised to see how Marshalls / Strats / Les Pauls, etc. have appreciated in the past couple of years.

With something like this you better know what you are looking at or get an expert involved before hitting the BIN.