got a 1000 grit sandpaper, should I sand my neck? I'm hesitating...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jimmy25, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jimmy25

Jimmy25 Member

I got myself a TOA Made In Japan Waterproof abrasive 1000 grit sandpaper, it's on my hand right now, and I don't know should I sand down my sticky poly maple neck with it or not... I tried lemon oil with rag it didn't help much.. now I'm hesitating because I've never sand a neck and I don't know is it really going to make a huge difference or not in terms of smoothness, was wondering, is it possible to just do it extremely softly and still have the gloss but smoother and doesn't damage the finish? or no matter how soft I do it it's just going to ruin the finish..? and if I start sanding the neck with 1000 grit sandpaper, how do I know when to stop...

2. guitardad

guitardad Member

I've used very fine steel wool to knock the back of my necks down to a nice, silky-smooth finish. Haven't used sandpaper.

3. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

Let me ask you a question....

Do you wash your hands before you play and/or wipe down the back of your guitar neck with polish every so often?

4. spence

spence Member

I did it to my Historic LP. My hands stick to finished necks. I prefer to do what's needed so I can enjoy playing my guitars. You only live once you know? I usually sweat when I play (I'm not a stand there and do nothing lounge lizard) so the "washing your hands" theory goes right out the window.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  5. KazJY

KazJY Member

there ya go.

6. Crowbar

Crowbar Member

Do you mean the back of the neck or the fretboard?
    Lemon oil on poly? I think oil is only for open pore finishes like tung oil or for rosewood and ebony fretboards with no finish.
    I'v never had any 1000 grit paper, I assume its for autobdy work. Try it on a lawnmower or patio furniture and see what it does.

7. dcamp

dcamp Member

1000 is very fine, you should be OK, it will take a lot of sanding to take much finish off> proceed slowly> Do a bit then play it. If you had said you have 400, then I'd be more concerned.

8. AcornHouse

AcornHouse Member

I would wipe the neck down with naptha first to try to get rid of the lemon oil residue (which might be causing the stickiness.) As has been pointed out, oil over poly is not a good idea. The oil will just sit there since the wood is sealed with the poly (or other finish.)
    Then, if you still don't like the feel, wet sand with the 1000 grit. By wet sanding, you won't load the paper too much with either poly or left over oil, and it will cut slower, so you sneak up on your perfect feel.

9. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Any grit abrasive is like a 44 magnum in the wrong hands, if you don't have experience or know WTF you are doing. Nobody should be sanding a guitar anywhere unless you have the proper background in "guitar sanding". Unless of course, you do not mind risking f*cking up your guitar. Hey, it's your guitar...

10. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Oh, the drama. You'd have to sand on the back of a neck for a long, long time to do any damage with 1000 grit. A couple of minutes of sanding & polish won't come close to getting through the clear, it'll just make the back of the neck nice & smooth.

11. BWGuitars

BWGuitars Member

This.

Plus, assuming that only enough of the finish is sanded back to give a smooth, satin-y feel, it can be easily reversed and polished back to gloss if need be.

12. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

I have done it to every guitar I have owned for over 25 years.

Just tape off the areas you do not want to accidentally sand, and sand for half as long as you think you should, and then dust the neck and check it for feel.

I usually sand when I get a new guitar, gig with it, and then sand again if I needed it.

Better to go in small increments--you cannot "unsand".

And enjoy!