• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Got a 4 way tele kit - wow!

Roccorobb

I'm relatively new to telecasters with the purchase of a CV tele and a dimarzio area t vintage set last year. When I installed the areas, I left in place the original switch and pots. My bride got me a wiring kit for Christmas which included a four way switch and new CTS pots. All I can say is wow. Not only is the fourth position very cool and usable, but all the other positions sound way better than before. It's the proverbial lifting off the blanket. Like "I just got a new set of pickups" different. Ive been at this for twenty something years and I had no idea switches and pots (of the same value) could affect tone so dramatically. Merry Christmas!

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
Congrats! I to have a CV 50's Tele and have thought about changing the pups. Maybe all I'll need to do is upgrade the wiring!? Thanks for the info!

Roccorobb

Congrats! I to have a CV 50's Tele and have thought about changing the pups. Maybe all I'll need to do is upgrade the wiring!? Thanks for the info!
I would start there. I actually quite liked the tone of the stock pickups but after more than a decade with ONLY hum cancelling pickups I just couldn't handle the 60 cycles. Hence the Area set. Since the tele purchase I've also acquired a CV 50s Strat. It has stock pickups and new wiring, and I like it so much I've considered putting the stock pickups back in the tele. But I think the Area set will stay for now.

Fenders are guitars I could never bring myself to shell out big bucks for, since it seems the very ethos behind the design is good ol American utilitarian bang for buck. So when the CV series got good reviews I figured it was time to give the fender designs a try. I like the tele more than the Strat but it's nice to have a strat around for those times when it's just the sound you need. And my kids think it's the coolest

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
what does the added position sound like compared to the bridge and neck positions? What is actually happening electronically (if you know). Is it a phase thing?

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
what does the added position sound like compared to the bridge and neck positions? What is actually happening electronically (if you know). Is it a phase thing?
Sounds like a fatter version of the in-between. It's series vs parallel.

I have it in my Kirn and it's a nice added extra tone.

AdmiralB

Ironically, I just finished removing four-way switches from my Teles. I had put one in my ASAT, and my VHR '50s came with one. But the series option is pretty useless to me, it just got in the way.

Sometimes, a lot of options aren't useful. For me, this was one of those times.

mikealpine

Gold Supporting Member
I'm finding that keeping things simple usually works better for me, but the 4-way mod is one I've thought of trying, kind of like getting a bit more girth when you want to sound a little more like a humbucker for a short period of time (too short to swap guitars).

AdmiralB

I can't recall how it sounded but I had one only once. Never tried it again. What was useless about it sound wise?
It's about twice as loud as the regular parallel N+B setting - which makes sense, because electrically that's pretty much what it is. So if you're playing clean, you get this huge volume boost, way louder than the other three settings. And IMO it's not really a pleasant clean tone since there's attenuated high-end and prominent mids (inductance is additive when in series).

With distortion, the level boost isn't really a problem, but the mid increase/high attenuation makes a muddy, mushy sound - at least with my rig.

I'm sure it's useful for a lot of players, or it wouldn't have caught on like it has. I'm just not one of them.

Roccorobb

It's about twice as loud as the regular parallel N+B setting - which makes sense, because electrically that's pretty much what it is. So if you're playing clean, you get this huge volume boost, way louder than the other three settings. And IMO it's not really a pleasant clean tone since there's attenuated high-end and prominent mids (inductance is additive when in series).

With distortion, the level boost isn't really a problem, but the mid increase/high attenuation makes a muddy, mushy sound - at least with my rig.

I'm sure it's useful for a lot of players, or it wouldn't have caught on like it has. I'm just not one of them.
I agree with this description but for me I think I'll find a lot of use for the sound. I bought the guitar mainly to play garage/hillbilly jazz (maybe we can just call it tele jazz?) So I already spend a lot of time on the neck pickup, and the series option gives a bigger bolder sound, not unlike a 335 in the middle position.

jimmyj

I have a 4 way switch in both my Teles. I find the series option very useful. It's not really that much louder than the bridge alone in my set up for some reason.

How I use it is I use the parallel or neck alone positions for comping behind a singer or another soloist and bump it up to the series for clean solos. This works great for guys that don't like the tele neck pickup because it's too muffled and quiet in comparison to the bridge.

I use the bridge pickup for distorted tones about 80% of the time but there are a few situations where I'll use the series or parallel position with distortion for a pseudo neck minihumbucker distortion tone.

@Roccorobb : Telejazz is exactly what I call what I'm attempting most of the time. :)

drive-south

My American Deluxe Tele has the push button on the volume control for series operations. I like it and can't see any reason to eliminate it. My old 71 Tele just has the 3 position switch but I won't be messing with it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom