Got a DD-20 and an RV-5 for cheap today..

Turi

..haven't messed with them much.
Both are in really really good condition. The DD-20 could pass as new I think.
Must be bedroom players?

Anyways.

I checked out the RV-5 first, I think all the modes sound alright, the room and hall are nowhere NEAR the Red Panda Context though, and they can't hang around for as long either.
The spring setting I see cops a lot of flack, I like it but I've also never played an amp with real spring reverb built in.

The modulation mode though, ****, absolutely amazing. Not sure exactly how it works, but I swear to god it's bringing out notes I didn't even play.
I can hear notes like an octave higher than what I'm playing and stuff when I do swells with it.
Really cool.
I like the plate mode too. Again, not as good as the Context or the Hardwire Supernatural to be honest, but everything on here sounds good, the modulation mode however beats down every other reverb I've played.

Total winner that one is.

The DD-20 I only got instead of a Timebender because I found one heaps cheap, and I knew it'd run off my Joyo.

Really like it. Very powerful. Very basic, but very powerful.

The twist mode I can't see a great use for though - that oscillation it does is.. eh.. not so crash hot.. warp mode would be way better if it only help the first note I played or something, so I could use it basically as a freeze function.. instead it just holds everything I play and turns into a wall of noise really quickly.

Smooth mode I think sounds nice but it'd be cool if I could adjust the built in reverb.

Does the looper quantise? Everything I've looped so far has been perfectly on time.. wondering whether I've got better at my timing, or if this looper quantises what I've played or something.
I haven't had it make the end of the loop and beginning of the loop sound awkward yet. :/

The tape mode isn't as good as I thought it would be - the DL-8 kills it.. it lacks that crunchy kinda sound.. it also isn't as spacey as I thought it would be, but that's what the RE-20 is for, right?

Still. Really like it either way.

What I like most about it is how simple it is - it looks way complicated, but I mean, it didn't come with a manual and I've totally got this, and already feel capable after one single hour of use, to pull it out live.

Impressed with both. I know I'm like a decade late or something.

One thing I've noticed is my SD-1 doesn't sound as good going through reverb. Sounds alright going through the DD-20 with the RV-5 off, but with the RV-5 on, nah.

I think I just don't like my crunchy sounds to have reverb or something.. haven't liked it no matter what I try.

I want to get a FS-5u for the DD-20 now, and if the RE-20 is more spacey than the DD-20 that might be awesome to pair with it.

/blog

Great pair of pedals.

The looper on the DD-20 does not quantise. Its the same as a looper on the DD-7 or Stereo Memory Man. There is no beat to quantise to. The length of the loop is determined by when you start and stop the looper manually. The boss RC-2, and others in the RC series do quantise. When it is in quantise mode the phrase will end on a measure or beat closest in time to when you hit the end recording function.

Stratburst70

A DD20 had a permanent place in my rig since 2006; it's a great delay. I mainly use the tape mode for the staggered delay but that's it. I usually use the modulated delay.

Turi

Cool pedals.
Great pair of pedals.

The looper on the DD-20 does not quantise. Its the same as a looper on the DD-7 or Stereo Memory Man. There is no beat to quantise to. The length of the loop is determined by when you start and stop the looper manually. The boss RC-2, and others in the RC series do quantise. When it is in quantise mode the phrase will end on a measure or beat closest in time to when you hit the end recording function.
Ah. Cheers mate. Maybe my timing has been getting better.
I do find it easier to use than the smmh.
Not as powerful but the looper is easier to use on the dd20 imo.
Easier to bloody turn off anyway.
A DD20 had a permanent place in my rig since 2006; it's a great delay. I mainly use the tape mode for the staggered delay but that's it. I usually use the modulated delay.
Modulated mode sounds great lol I stuck it through the rv5 modulated mode and basically creamed my pants lol.
Sounds fantastic.
The tape mode I plan on getting to know a bit more. I'm not sure how to effectively use the two heads mode.
Classics and workhorses
I can see why lol.

I think the dual mode on the dd20 should allow for longer times on the short delay.

Is their anymore tricks the dd20 has?

Atm I know about the rate and depths for modulation and the second head mode for tape delay.
Is there more?

I can't get to the manual atm, on phone, but I know I can make it display bpm as well which for me as a home muso atm is going to be an absolute godsend

I was going through subdivisions too so I've got that.

Also noticed you can manually scroll through the delay times faster by clicking the button in.

Very powerful, yet simple and basic delay.

dbun

Great workhorse delay.
Been a staple on my board since the day I got it.

Only complaint is that it is a bit bulky for what it is, especially when sitting next to my Nova Delay, but it is super easy to dial in and covers a wide range of tones.

Turi

Nice score. Especially with the RV-5. The Modulate Reverb setting is amazing.
Yeah, it really is.

I clicked on here to see how cheap you got these pedals for.
Oh, sorry. $140 for the DD-20, $75 for the RV-5, plus postage.

Probably doesn't sound great in US dollars, but here in Australia, the DD-20 is maybe a good $30-60 cheaper than normal used prices, and the RV-5 is maybe $15-20 below normal used prices.

I'm very happy with the prices I paid, so far they are both great pedals as far as I can tell. :/

Wish my SD-1 wasn't playing up. Might consider a new drive pedal if I can't fix it.

The knobs fell off today too. I feel like it's just falling apart lol.