got a DGTM overdrive pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bagpipe, Jan 15, 2006.

1. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

I have been on the lookout for a low to medium gain overdrive pedal. I have been using a Visual Sound Route 66 which was good, but it wasnt exactly what I wanted. I find that it has either too much bass (with the bass switch on) or not enough bass (with the bass switch off). I also found that the sound was a little "muddy" at times. I initially started looking at the DGTM because its the one that Greg Koch uses. I was trying to decide between the DGTM and the new Clark Gainster. I decided to go with the DGTM and, being in Canada, I ordered one from Scott at axeandyoushallreceive.com. I got it earlier this week and so far, I'm loving it! I've been using it with my HSS strat into both a Hot Rod Deluxe and a DRRI. It has the standard voume, treble and drive knobs and it has a toggle to switch between a Tube Screamer type mode, and a more compressed Marshally type mode. I've been mainly using on the Tube Screamer side and I love both the range of overdrive I get and the "clarity" which I hear - to me, it doesnt "muddy" up the way the Route 66 does. Unfortunately it doesnt make me sound like Greg Koch ! :jo

Anyway, I'd highly recommend it as an alternative if you are looking for a new drive type pedal. My new Tele should be arriving any day and I cant wait to try it through this new pedal.

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I, too, use a DGTM. I've had mine since september and it ain't going anywhere. I actually use it with a les paul, sounds awesome.

For some great crunch, try it with a clean boost after it!

3. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Tell me more about these TC Jaer... pedals (what was the name of the maker again??)! Doesnt the same maker do the Luxury drive? How does it compare to the DGTM? I've heard some good things about these pedals, but dont know all that much!

4. HBob

HBob Member

Tim Jauernig makes some very cool stuff. I have the DGTM with the fat boost switch, the Luxury Drive model T and the Twin Rate Tremolo. They all sound great.

The Luxury Drive is a great clean boost that can add the teeniest bit of grit ( by adjusting the trim knob ) if wanted. It's very transparent and only adds a wee bit of high end - but it sounds good.

The DGTM probably does the best "starting to break up" tone I've found in a pedal. It goes up to what I'd call a medium gain OD. I think it's in the tube screamer family but more open sounding.

The tremolo also sounds great. The ability to set the two trem speeds is very cool. Better than the 1/2 speed option on the Diaz Tremodillo I have. The trem sound as good to me as the Tremodillo but my only gripe about the Twin Rate is that the intensity range doesn't have the very subtle settings or the very choppy settings as on the Tremodillo.

Good stuff.

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Thanks for the round up HBob! I have to look more closely into these pedals, they seem really interesting! I became interested when Tele players were praising the TDGM as a great od for teles..

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

as mentioned, I use a les paul and the DGTM works awesome with it as well. Definitely an overlooked pedal

7. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I was looking for a clean boost and originally ordered the DGTM (OD) and Luxury Drive (boost) pedals on a whim last February. The DGTM was kind of an afterthought, but it has proven itself to be my favorite overdrive pedal ever. Loved it so much that I sold those and now own two Gristle Kings which are the DGTM and Luxury Drive in one pedal, with a few twists such as a switch that allows you to run the boost before OR after the drive. I've never owned two of the same pedal at the same time before, but I love the GK so much that I never want to be without it. One is just for home. Tim is easy to do business with, too.

I see DGTMs pass through the emporium for $85-$90 sometimes. Crazy good deal.

8. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

I was thinking about the Gristle King and trading my LD towards it...can you isolate the LDs effect within the Gristle King (e.g. if I only wanted the boost portion...)

9. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Yup, with the GK both effects can run independent or you can stomp on both and have them at once.

10. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

Ha...good, I have an email into Tim...(really like the Atomic FET Boy too...)

:AOK

11. drolling

drolling Member

OK, this is sounding more & more interesting- I really like the idea of a totally clean boost and an overdrive housed in a single enclosure.

Did you A/B the seperate units against the Gristle King before selling them off?

12. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I didn't have the Luxury Drive anymore, but I still had my DGTM when I got the first GK back in November. They sounded the same and the GK adds something called a "phat" switch for enhanced low end, though I haven't been using that feature.

I used to run my boosts before my drives for additional gain, but lately I've decided that I like the boost after the drive better. However, I am fickle, so the "pre/post" switch was a huge selling point for me.

13. Lee Bob

Lee Bob Member

I think I'm gonna have to snag a Gristle King. I was interested in the DGTM before I bought my Barber DD. Right now I need a boost, but I'm not totally happy with the Barber so I may sell it and grab the GT so I can get a great OD and boost in one package.

14. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

I use a DGTM and the Luxery Drive..Essential to the tone I like to have...The OD is so articulate and open.Along with the Luxery Drive its a sweet combo with my tele and DRRI:RoCkInI use a BOSSOD3 after the DGTM to really kick things up a bit

15. johndara

johndara Member

I just purchased a Gristle King. This is definitely the pedal to watch for in the coming months. Amazing tone, cant really say enough about it. And the fact that you can use the boost independantly is very cool. And being able to use the boost pre overdrive or post overdrive is something I always wanted in a pedal. The fat switch is just an added bonus,,really thickens it up. I'm thinking of purchasing another also, one for home use and one for my pedalboard, they are that good!!

16. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I just happened to see an FET Boy in the emporium right now--$70. Not bad.

17. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

I use this as my solo boost after my AM TS-9 Silver/808...Amazing. I had a Fulldrive II that sounded nice on it's own, but not stacked. I'm much happier now. Still very new to the chain, but I'm really diggin' it. I'd totally recommend it.

Mike.

18. MitchC

MitchC Member