1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Got a Klon & a Honeybee, looking for other drive reccos...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zeppo, Feb 17, 2009.

1. zeppo

zeppo Member

For about 8 years I've used a Klon as my drive pedal dialing the gain up and down with my foot and been very happy with it. I recently added a BJFE Honeybee and have been enjoying the different textures that brings. Now that I've dipped my toe into the world of drive pedals again (much to the chagrin of my pocketbook) I'm curious to try one more that will complement these two. I'd like something that has a medium amount of gain, doesn't loose the bass and has a nice midrange presence (no scooped tones). Decent output would be a plus. There's just so many these days I'm not sure where to start. Oh yeah, I have the fuzz world covered just fine thanks, looking for overdrive/distortion.

thanks very much,
    Harris

2. erksin

erksin Member

Skreddy Screw Driver.

3. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

For a different flavor, thick bass and thick mids... sheez...! BJF Dyna Red Distortion!:RoCkIn This is definitly a distortion pedal, but not *extremely* high gain. Easily the most musical distortion box I've ever heard. Does plain sick low gain tones too. Harmonically rich and "amplike". With a Honey Bee, Klon and a DRD you'd probably have a perfect dirt box collection.

5. marsos52

marsos52 Member

try a lovekraft mojo drive kinda sorta like a landgraff dod i like the mojo better and other do to and its priced affordable

6. mobis8

mobis8 Member

Are you thinking of stacking together, or just for a third option? If stacking, I would think that the Timmy would be a good choice. Would fit the mild overdrive category, excellent EQ to dial into your liking, plus if you put it last it just takes the other ODs going into it very well...

7. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Yeah, I would go with the Dyna Red if you want the option of more aggressive gain. Don't forget like Aaron said, it sound great with the gain all the way off and the treble up.

Otherwise the Barber Direct Drive would be a good choice, if you don't want all the gain and expense of the Dyna Red.

8. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

this ^^^^ is a great choice to compliment what you have!

9. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

Check out the Lovepedal Eternity. It sounds like its just what you need.

10. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Lovepedal Eternity, Timmy pedal, Cmatmods Brownie or Signa Drive, Wampler Plexi Drive, Cranked AC, or Ecstacy, Lovekraft Mojo Drive or Chupacabra that should be a good start or at least for me!

11. strings2wood

strings2wood Member

Hey Aaron,

I ordered a DRD with your 'named' mods about a week ago. I should have it in 4-5 weeks.

I also have an E6- which replaced my '05 HW burst E- NO regrets!!!! ( and know you have the Green E).

I'm glad that an earlier thread got me to consider this, so thanks again!

I'm wondering if the DRD can actually be considered as an E replacement- even tho' the E is it's own thing as a lead pedal-stacked with a timmy-HB etc.

I'll keep you posted as to the end result.

Cheers again for the original 'Saturday morning ("barefoot!) demo.

Simon in Melbourne.

even covered some of the 'jazz'type stuff on your website with the volume rolled back.

Mr. Juhl certainly nails that pedal into a clean amp thing.:AOK

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well, I'm certianly honored that I could help steer a fellow tone seeker in a direction I feel's a good one. :dude

Yes and no on would my version of the DRD replace the E6. The tonal footprint of the pedals are quite similar (as you could see in that video you referenced). But the, what I call, "texture" of the way in which the pedals clip the signal sound quite different. The Eternity still has the somewhat detatched sounding gritty clipping where you almost hear a little clean tone mixed in (you know that familiure OD tone). Where the DRD's clipping sounds even more "amp like", not detatched like a textbook OD.

In other words I still find that I like the textures of both for different requirements. IMO the Eternity and DRD are still the #1 pedals for what they do. Please post about the DRD when you get it and/or PM me.

13. Andre357

Andre357 Member

is the E6 your refering too the newer softswitch ones Sean has up on his webpage ??

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks man !

14. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

What amp are you using?? for what you describe Zendrive, OCD v3 and Mad Professor Little Green Wonder would be good but specific recos would depend on the amp you use.

15. zeppo

zeppo Member

Thanks very much for all the recommedations. I use a Divided by 13 rsa31. I notice the OCD v3 recommended, I can get an OCD locally, what's version are they selling now?

I was curious if Skreddy would come up, interested to try one. DRD and Zendrive too. Guess I have some pedal shopping to do.

h.

16. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I don't know what music you play but I recently tried a Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion and it was very different from my Zen 2. It does a cool interpretation of the 80's metal (think EVH) sound. It's not as saturated as I thought it would be, the tone reminded me of that solo'd guitar clip of EVH doing Hot For Teacher. Bjorn's definitely got some good designs.

17. superswede

superswede Member

+1 on Dyna Red to complement KLON and Honey Bee

18. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Yup - the E is a tricked out TS. All TS's have that "detached" sound where the clipping sounds separate from a slight clean tone. That's what I hate about them for most applications, though a lot of people swear by the E.

The Dyna Red is like an amp. No detached clean tones... all amp.

19. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Agree 100%. But as I've said in multiple threads about the Eternity. The "cleanish" clipping of the Eternity is what I'm actually seeking in the out of it. *BUT*, it doesn't exibit this attribute near as much as other OD's commonly associated with the TS lineage. For instance, allthough I think the Fulldrive II is a killer pedal along with a good modded SD-1 they both sound way more "detached" than the Eternity.

Summarzied if you *do* like some qualities about TS pedals but wish it sounded much better, not just a moddified one, the Eternity is perfect IMO.

zeppo, you really should contact Bjorn about a DRD. He should be able to recommend a quality dealer. *BUT*, before that... man you really need to upgrade your amp. Whoa...! Just kidding!! :jo

20. strings2wood

strings2wood Member

Yes Andreas- I have faze to thank for that (fellow GP member).

We both play a Vibro King.
    He uses a COT 50 and E- BUT was looking to get marshall style tones through his VK.

We both had HW 'E'" mine was an '05 burst.

Loved it, but wanted a little more gain- and less compressionj.

Enter the White E6 as per Sean's site. Love it.

It gets TOO fizzy for me after 9 o'clock BUT- has the gain and openess I wanted.

faze also said that many people think HW is way better- this E6 cut throgh better than my burst.

the HW did allow more of the guitar natural sound- but with a bass player, drummer wailing singer and a bar full of people- only Lassie and a person REALLY listening for it will know.

Nibus and Aaron got me to revisit the DRD as I used to have one but it imo it had way toomuch bass response- hence the Aaron davis heads up.

I will post those links later today.

cheers.:AOK