Got a new amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by crazyrocker210, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Got a new amp!
    So, I went to guitar center yesterday expecting to finance a decent amp, we're talking around 600$, until my mom starts talking to one of the salesmen and says she'll spend whatever the amp I want costs ! So he points me over to the marshall jcm900 pluged into a 1960a cab. I play thru the thing, didnt like it. Then he took me over to the mesa's There I saw a used mesa boogie 50 calibur head marked at 500. So I asked to plug into it and it was like a revilation. THIS is the sound I was looking for, it sounded way better than the jcm, such great clarity and variety of sounds. It was amazing!! But, the dam mesa cab was 900$. So I asked to plug it into the 1960a cab which he said he'd give to me at cost, and it still sounded amazing. I fiddled with every knob and just fell in love. So after 3 hours of playing amps at guitar center I left the store with 12 months no payments, 2 year warranty on the cab and 1 year on the head (got them to mark the head down to 400 too ). Total price, 1200$. I think I did ok, I'm sure I could have gotten them on ebay for cheaper, but theres not warranty on ebay . Damn tax was 101$ though . But, needless to say I am extrememly happy. Lets just hope my h-1000 and other guitars sound awesome through it

-Tim-

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Well, with all due respect.....
    You could have gotten them anywhere for cheaper. They are decent products, but for that kind of scratch [after all the finance charges] you could have done much better. Just my humble op........
    M.E.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Congrats on the new rig.

Are you saying that cost on the 1960a was $800? That sounds like serious bullsh*t to me. Musician's Fiend sells 'em for $750.

4. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Lemme put it this way.........
    I recently picked up a MINT Silver Jubilee 4-12 for $500.00 +shipping [I know that I lucked into that one0]. You can pick up a standard 4-12 from Marshall, or even a Recto 4-12 for around the same price. My nephw just got one that was loaded with Celestion 90's for $500.00. It pays to be patient. M.E.

5. Just1more

Just1more Member

If it sounds good to you, then that's great. If you spent a little more for it, it's worth it to be able to hear & play the rig first. Enjoy your new amp/cab.

6. MattB

MattB Member

If you are happy then rock on and congrats. I have had a variety of high dollar amps and now am in love with my beat MESA Mark III. Nothing touches it for the money. Its the tone I have lusted for. $1200 for a rig that you love is cheap IMHO.

-MattB :dude

7. I paid 650 for the cab, thats what GC gets for them at cost. And whatever, I dont have to pay interest until next year, it was 12 months no payments no interest. And anyways I love the way this setup sounds, got a 2 year warranty on the cab and one year on the head. This rig sounds awesome for all the metal and hardcore I play, even some punk and emo. I think it was definately worth 1200, plus I didnt have the 1200 cash to begin with, so I couldnt have gone the ebay route. O yeah, tax was 100$ too.

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

$400 for the .50 Caliber is a steal.
    Congrats

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Congrats man, awesome you found good tone!
    Ha can't believe your mom let you drag all that home .. doesn't she know what that setup can do to walls ;)
    Enjoy and shred the heck out of it!

10. Haha, w.e I thought I got a good deal on the marshall cab but guess not. Yeah, I thought the 50 calibur was a steal for the price.
    Luckily my mom cant hear the amp cause its at my drummers gouse, if my dad found out I got it I wouldnt be able to type on this forum ever again :p

11. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I used to have a 50 Calibre + a long time ago. It was a cool amp. I should have kept it, the lead channel was liquid and the clean actually sounded pretty nice. The graphic eq was handy. I imagine some tube changes would have made it more in keeping with my more recent (less gain) tastes.

taco

12. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

Hey i used to be i management for GC. I think you made a good choice shopping there. you have 30 days to shop around for a better deal on the cab. if you purchased the PG for both items (and from what you wrote it sounds like you did,) you have 60 days to look for a beter deal. you can return the cab only and keep the head at the price on the ticket! but if you bought the performance gaurentee on both items plus tax that may bring the price of the cab to $600 and im sorry to say i cant rember what cost is on those. if you find a better deal go back and have the salesman beat it or return the cab. thats when youll find out what cost is. Good luck and rock on brother -and rember to hug you mom for takeing you gear shopping!

600 for a new cab sounds ok to me btw

13. Well does anyone think I'd be better off returning the cab and finding another one? They had the mode four marshall cab for like 500...

14. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

that depends what was the price on the sales ticket for the cab only?

15. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Don't take it back. It's a good deal for a new Cab. And more to the point, if you paid a few ducks extra for tone that will make you play more, it's MORE than worth it.

At best, you'll save $50-$100 bucks. Even off Ebay, where you take it in the shorts with shipping, etc.

Enjoy the rig! Stop typing and go play!

16. Heybulldog, the price for the cab was 750 and I talked them down to 650.

17. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

nice job thats 100 buck less than the musician friends price. you and yor mom got a nice deal! keep it and rock on!

18. Yeah, I thought we did alright. Now I need to find a job to pay it all off, its 12 months no payments no interest so I have to pay it off by august 8th 2006.

19. trucks

trucks Member

Enjoy your new equipment! And definitely give your mother a hug! When I went to buy my first guitar (having saved for a 1975 Flying V), my mother and the salesman got to talking. The result was they spent my money on a classical yamaha! :eek:

20. rastaman

rastaman Member

Let's think here: Is it new? Does the cab rattle? Is the tolex, grill and logo etc. in excellent shape? Does it sound freakin' awesome to you w/ the Mesa?? Well, I think you should keep it. Rock on:dude .

BTW, I wish my parents would of helped me w/ gear purchases. You should feel very lucky.