Got a new Avatar speak cabinet!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blakemore Effects, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

So, I just got a new Avatar 2x12 Premier guitar cabinet for using with my new band. It has a Celestion Vintage 30, and a Celestion G12H30 in it. My band was wanting to lower stage volume a lot, so I started using two sub 5 watt amps, so I could crank them (Vox AC4, and a Star Nova). The only problem was that the two 10" speakers made it so I didn't get any low end really, and I just wasn't pushing enough air before. Enter the Avatar. This thing is awesome though! I've been playing all night, and I'm getting some great tones of this thing. I can't recommend Avatar enough.

Here is the new amp rig for my band though (sorry for the crappy iPhone pic):
    [​IMG]

2. Dave

Dave Member

Congrats. Avatar is good stuff and they are a pleasure to deal with. Did you get the oval back, or is it sealed? I have an oval back premier 2x12 and it's a great sounding cab. Enjoy.

3. civicbud

civicbud Member

Unbelievable! All I can say is that my experience has been amazingly positive too! I got the black Contemporary 212 with V-30s. The build quality, the tolex, the shipping, Dave, everything has been absolutely awesome! I am a huge Avatar fan now. These cabs seem built to last (especially this Orange PPC inspired model). My only regret was that I didn't get the Hellatone 60s. These are my first V-30s and I can definitely hear the harshness of the unbroken-in V-30s. Oh well, according to Celestion they break-in fairly easily. Anyways, if anyone is interested in pictures or more info, please feel free to email me at asilveira@student.bridgew.edu. By the way, I got the wheat grill, and it is of the highest, most detailed quality! I am playing this through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster.

4. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

Mine is open back, but I got the conversion board that they sell now so that I can convert it between open and closed back configurations. It's a pretty sweet idea. It came installed though, so I haven't tried it open yet. What is the main difference between open/closed back cabs anyway?

I'm definitely a fan of Avatar right now. I couldn't be happier. Don't be shy though. Post the pics of your cab here! I wanna see what you got too. Let's turn this thread into an Avatar love-fest. haha

5. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

Love the Avatar Traditional 2x12 open back I bought last year; Emi Texas Heat and Hellatone 30 spkrs. A few months ago I picked from Avatar a tolex covered closure piece to close up the back. Glad I got the open back as it gives you the option of having a 'convertible'.

[​IMG]

6. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

That sounds like the same thing I got, and I'm glad I went with the open back. How hard is it to remove the conversion board? I haven't done that yet, but I plan on doing it tonight.

7. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

Anyone know how to remove the conversion board? I undid all the screws on the back (except for the ones on the speaker jack section). Do I need to remove the screws on the speaker jack section or something, because this thing will not budge?

8. es125luv

es125luv Member

My traditional 2x12's have proved to be super work horses! I LOVE THEM!

My back panel was very tough to remove as well. You got to muscle it! You really do not need to remove the speaker jack panel.

9. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

I have a closed back 2x12, so I don't know if this will apply. But I had to remove the corners pieces. I think I also removed the speaker jack plate to get some leverage on the thing.
    The corner pieces are put on after the back is on. On mine they dug into the tolex a bit. Didn't tear the tolex, just smooshed it a bit.

10. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

I can't muscle it since there is no where to grip! haha

That's what I was kind of afraid of. I may have to take out like 30 screws just to switch out this conversion board. Not quite as easy as he advertised it to be haha.

11. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Always had the best service from Dave and the crew at Avatar. This is very odd...

12. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

and when i had bought them, dave was great...but this really pissed me off...i dont even know if dave knows...normally i would have remained persistent on this, but the guy pissed me off enough that i said the heck with it and them

13. cvriz

cvriz Member

i just had to tighten all the speaker screws on my traditional 4x12 cab. there prices are hard to beat, there quality is very easy to beat. all said they are good knock around cabs to gig with but worlds apart from a mojave,germino or bogner boutique type cab.

14. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

This is the first cab I've ever actually bought, since I always just used cmbo amps. Care to enlighten me as to what separates these from the big boys?

15. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

Do you plug both amps into the Avatars 2 inputs?Is that OK?(OHMS?)I have 2 Avatar cabs and their great.Great customer service and quality product.Highly recomended!!!!!

16. cvriz

cvriz Member

baltic birch vs unknown birch inferior grille cloth cheaper tolex no casters cheaper input jack inferior speaker mounting ---- i have both an avatar and a boutique cab-- the avatar sounds good but the other cabs are better made and you pay more for this. i just completed loctiting all the speaker screws in my avatar so as they wont back out again. i have no issue with avatar, but there are noticeable differences when compared to the big boys. happy holidays

17. cvriz

cvriz Member

some diffs are- inferior grille cloth, inferior wood,no casters,inferior input jacks, thinner tolex,inferior speaker mounting-- all this said i like my avatar but it is not made as good as some other boutique cabs. happy holidays

18. cvriz

cvriz Member

sorry for the double post - work computer is killing me!

19. Dave

Dave Member

I haven't bought an Avatar cab in couple of years, maybe things have changed recently. The grill cloth and tolex on mine seems like the good stuff. To be honest, I didn't know there was such a thing as inferior grill cloth or thinner tolex. Every supplier I've gotten it from seems to have the same product. The jacks on mine are Switchcraft mounted on a steel plate, nothing wrong with that. The baffle has T-nuts for mounting the speakers, again, nothing wrong with that. It just came with bolts, no washers, lock washers, star washers, etc. I always use a washer and a lock washer or star washer, it's easy enough to put those on. Granted, it would be nice if they supplied them. And Baltic birch on a budget cab? Forget it.

You won't get the attention to detail or the fit and finish of a "boutique" cabinet with Avatar, and why should you expect that? They are good cabs for a great price IMO.

20. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

Inferior grill clothe,tolex,etc?:huhMerry Christmas.