Got a ride in a Tesla 3 yesterday

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Totally Bored, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

I like Model 3s, and came close to buying one, but their long term reliability is questionable, in my opinion.

Yes, most stores. Their model is buy the car and return it within 7 days / 600 miles for a full refund if you don't like it. Very cool concept for a new car purchase.

burner likes this.
  2. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

A wise man knows 'when' to launch~

burner and Boris Bubbanov like this.
  3. dohmar

dohmar Member

9000lb/5000kg towing capacity too, plus the gear tunnel, plus the front trunk/frunk. Theres a version they've made for camping and the entire gear tunnel is fitted out with a slide out camp kitchen, and the idea is for them to put a fridge in the frunk too. Add a roof mounted tent and its positively an off road beast

-D

burner likes this.
  4. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

A few years ago I bought a really nice cordless drill. It needs new batteries but the batteries cost as much as a new cordless drill. That is what worries me about buying a Tesla/Electric car. I really like the idea of no more gas. Its so good for all of us, but its those darn batteries I don't trust. If the batteries need replacing, the rest of the car is totally useless.

Boris Bubbanov and burner like this.
  5. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

burner likes this.
  6. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

I have suggested that my mother-in-law try one out. She never has to drive far. Her home is going to be solar wired. She lives alone and is starting to get road shy, so the driver assist (not self-driving) may come in handy.

It has absolutely nothing to do with my being the driver when we go to visit her. Nosiree, not a bit...

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yup, but that electric surge feels kinda weird, doesn't it? That feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when it accelerates, like some powerful amusement park ride ...

burner likes this.
  8. GeetarGoul

GeetarGoul Supporting Member

I live in the Bay Area and these things are all over the place. I hear the service network leaves a lot to be desired.

9. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

I was sitting behind one at a stop light. They were first in line and I was #2. It took off a lot faster than I thought it would...

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

There’s a young guy who recently got a job where I work. He has a Tesla. He was driving it around the parking lot via a remote control from outside of the vehicle the other day. First of all, I know what his job pays and unless he lives with mommy he cannot afford this car. Secondly this is a satellite yard. In other words it’s full of Freightliners and floats. We have a lot of safety protocols, some bordering on ridiculous and all with punitive consequences for failure to observe them.

I predict the company turns off the overtime tap and this kids Tesla ends up getting sold. I’ve seen it a hundred times. These kids get hired and think they hit the lottery then go out and buy $60,000 trucks or boats only to have to get rid of them when reality kicks in.

Oh well. They’ll learn I guess. My house is paid off, my truck is 14 years old and my 401k and retirement portfolio is fat.

Wow. Got a little off topic huh. Nice enough cars I guess. I get more mileage out of my Telecaster. :)

Liquid Quarter and burner like this.
  11. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

It felt awesome. His has dual motors front and back so it’s AWD. Msybe that has something to do with it but I’m a car guy. I drive a Mustang GT and tat Tesla blew me away. It was so fast and smoothe. I could see buying one but at $70k it would be tough at the moment.
    My friend is single and makes $100k + a year and he’s a techno geek so this is the car for him but dam I really like that car.

burner likes this.
  12. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    If they could pipe super realistic tube to vinyl to pure analog taped sound in from like a 427 Chevy rat motor with a gas sucking 850 or dominator Holley double pumper, or maybe from a 426 Chrysler Hemi with dual quad on a blower, they would probably sell more of them :knitting Oh, and install a Hurst shifted 4 speed, crager SS and a big ol honkin hood scoop too :red

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Roark and burner like this.
  13. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

We’re moving our corporate HQ to a new building less than a mile from my house with free car charging for tenants. This is making it even more difficult to avoid getting a model three now. I would never have to charge it at home since I would hardly use any charge to get to and from work. Just plug it in at the office once every couple of weeks.

rizla likes this.
  14. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Given Ford's recent investment in Rivian, I'll be surprised if we see anything released under the Rivian name. I think that we'll see a Ford EV truck that includes some of Rivian's tech and designs.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  15. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

You sound like the same guy who says tube amps are ridiculously expensive to maintain, break constantly and are unreliable. I'm happy you like your mower...but come on with the crazy examples. Winterizing a mower? Really? My Craftsman starts on the second after a year in storage. I beat the living crap out of the thing for the first 10 years I owned it. I bought it 15 years ago...I've had it serviced ONCE in 15 years. months ago I was laid off...I cancelled the lawn service and after not using it for like 3 years it started on the third pull.
    All I've ever done to it is put gas in it. Let's see how your batteries hold up after 5 years....my money's on the craftsman. My dad uses a riding mower he's had to have for 30 years.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    scotth and twoheadedboy like this.
  16. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

I’m just lazy. If given the choice of changing the oil on my mower or not changing it, I’d rather not change it. If given the choice of filling up the gas can or not filling it, I’d rather not fill it.

17. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I understand...all I'm saying is you're going to have to change the batteries in your mower long before I'll have to change the oil or winterize mine. I think some folks, one of my best friends included, are just drawn to the electric stuff. He works from home...but he can't wait to get a Tesla that has auto cruise control to use in traffic.

rockon1 likes this.
  18. pup tentacle

pup tentacle Silver Supporting Member

The straight line acceleration is impressive, but I'm more interested in something that can lap Nurburgring without entering a cool-down mode.

burner likes this.
  19. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Then you could get a Bolt - no waiting.

20. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Latest info is that one in five model threes have been assembled outside in the tent and to keep up with pace workers have been leaving out some fasteners and bolts and sometimes doing a quick fix with electrical tape.

Roark likes this.