Got a used RV-5 that appears DOA - any hope?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by redpill, May 3, 2008.

1. redpill

redpill Member

I bought a Boss RV-5 on ebay. It arrived today...

Plug a cord into the input jack, and the "Check" light goes on. Step on the foot switch (any number of times), and the light does not go off. Plug a cord into the output jack, and it becomes readily apparent that while the signal is indeed going through of the pedal (and coming out in stereo), there is no reverb happening whatsoever. So it says it is always on, but it acts like it is always off.

Any thoughts on what can be done about this? I'd rather not mess with it myself, as I ultimately may have to send it back, but if this is fixable for under 20 bucks, it's better than having to pay return shipping and then go buy another pedal. Anyone know a cheap repair shop here in Chicago?

2. redpill

redpill Member

Bump. Really, I'm just hoping to find a good Boss pedal repair place in Chicago.

3. KBN

KBN Member

Have you tried a new battery or power supply? Is it getting enough juice?

4. bwc3000

bwc3000 Member

Here are a few places you could try in the city:

Dr. Fretgood (they do repairs and pedal mods) www.drfretgood.com

Ian at Specimen...he's done repair work on my amps but I don't know if he does pedals, too. http://www.specimenproducts.com/

You could also bring it to the guys at Rock and Roll Vintage. They have a good repair shop and deal in a lot of old pedals: http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/

If you get really stuck, there's a lot of info at the Boss forum on www.bossarea.com. It's one of the nicest guitar forums on the web...if you can't get help locally, I'm sure someone there could make some suggestions. Boss pedals are pretty tough--I've gigged with my RV-3 since '95 and it's still going strong--so it shouldn't be too hard to get fixed.

5. redpill

redpill Member

Yes, I put a brand new battery in it when I first noticed the problem, and no luck. Good thought.

6. redpill

redpill Member

Thanks very much. I'll give them each a try, starting with the Boss forum.

7. redpill

redpill Member

Nothing back from the seller. The repair people I've contacted said it doesn't look good. If I don't hear back from the seller on Monday, then the BBB report will be made. I know better than to think ebay or PayPal will care one tiny bit.

8. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

check your cables,amp,and guitar.

9. redpill

redpill Member

All checked. Used the exact same cables with my Tech 21 Liverpool pedal, and all was well. It seems clear that it's the pedal, and based on the lack of responses with unexpected solutions, it's going to have to go back on Monday.