Got a Windsor Studio...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sfletch, Feb 20, 2008.

1. sfletch

sfletch Member

Picked it up today. I know that there has been a little interest in this amp from Peavey. I thought I'd give a quick first impression....

15 watts - single el34 power tube - single 12" Peavey blue marvel speaker. It's small and light, and pretty loud (also a nice looking amp fwiw). I've only fired it up at home a little but I'm liking it quite a bit. It's not a (insert boutique amp or more expensive amp or what have you), but for the money, it seems like a solid combo.

Some cool features: The power scaling - basically an attenuator of some kind...don't have a point of reference for comparison, but I had the power at about 25% and then had the master gain at 6 and the master volume at 5 or so....and it was still loud, but beefier/thicker for the relative volume. I haven't figured it out yet, still have to download the manual.

There is a fixed boost (volume and gain?) and an effects loop. Both are footswitchable via a standard TRS footswitch - tip is boost - ring is effects loop. That was a cool unexpected feature.

There's an XLR out on the back - I have gigs this weekend - so I'll probably give that a try or a/b it vs. mic'ing the amp if I have time. I'm also curious to see if it's loud enough for a gig. I feel like it should be. For gigs, I'll likely be using it fairly clean with my pedalboard for dirt and volume changes....but at home and for recording, the amp distortion is really fun. To me, it sounds like a little "british" amp. I don't think there's a lot of clean headroom....and it's a little light in the bass dept. but I'm hoping it sits nicely in the mix.

So far, it was a good deal. I'll give a report on how it holds up with a 5 piece band.

Take it easy!

2. funkywrench

funkywrench Member

Cool! Thanks for the preliminary review, I look forward to hearing more about it!

3. knownuthin

knownuthin Member

I'd love to know where the power scaling attenuation takes place in the chain. Is it the last thing before leaving the amp, after the OT? Is it a knob one turns?

4. whitehall

whitehall Member

Mine will be here tomorrow. Peavey has been hawking this thing for over a year now with no delivery. Can't wait to screw around with it.

5. knownuthin

knownuthin Member

anyone?

6. sfletch

sfletch Member

I believe it's between the power amp and the speaker. From what I could tell by the schematic, although I've never really tried to read one carefully before, it looks like the signal splits at the "power sponge" going to either the XLR out or the speaker..? Hope that helps. I don't think it (the attenuator) sounds great at whisper volume, but the way I have it set up right now (power sponge at 25% - gain and volume around noon-ish) it's still loud, but tolerable, and I can't wait to mic it up and see how it sounds recorded. It does seem like you can get the amp into a range where it starts to sound fuller without the huge volume jump....but I don't have ANY point of reference....never tried a hot plate or similar.

Liking the amp quite a bit. It loves humbuckers. Haven't given it a long enough run/tweak with single coils....but I will.

7. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Does it sound Marshally? Also nearly all these types of amps sound much beter thru some good speakers amnd cabs. Have you tried that yet?