Got a Yamaha THR10C.... now I want more

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Badfrog, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

I really like this little thing and now I'd also like to add something bigger. I play at home 98% of the time but every now and then I'll go to a friend's house and jam in his garage (along side drums, another guitar and bass).

I have a couple of Princeton amps in my man cave and while they sound nice, I just never could get a good OD tone at home (I've wandered along the attenuator/pedal path long enough, it's time to throw in the towel). So I'd like something to drive a 12" speaker at home and that could keep up with a drummer when not at home. At home I'd generally put my Princeton Reverb volume at 3 so I'd like this setup to sound good at those volume levels when at home.

Here's some bullet points of what I'm looking for. Hopefully you guys could be kind enough to point me towards some gear I should check out.......

1) I do like all the amp models on my THR10C. I'm the usual blues/rock guy you'll find in most parts. The heaviest thing I'd ever play is AC/DC.
    2) I'd like to keep the total cost $800-$1,200 new and do want something that's pretty good quality.
    3) 12" combo but I'd certainly entertain other options
    4) I do love my reverb so it would be nice if that could be tweaked quite a bit.
    5) I'm not big on having tons of effects like rotary, flanger, phaser etc etc. Mainly do reverb and some delay/tremolo now and then.
    6) Lastly, I'm not at a point where I want something that has a million options and you need a degree in amp tweaking to get great sounds. But if I can dial it in well fairly quickly and learn as I go that's okay. Also, presets would likely be a nice touch.

Any advice toward my search is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I've given enough info about my search.

2. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I'll be the first to say Yamaha THR100....?

Cgkindler likes this.
  3. randombastage

randombastage Member

I'll second that opinion. I just got one today and it is really, really, good. I strongly recommend the HD version because the Dual amp sounds are GREAT! No other dual amp scenario has impressed me so much. I was playing my AxeFxII and Helix into a stereo power amp and a pair of guitar cabs for about a week while I was waiting for the THR100HD to arrive so I would have them fresh in my memory to compare the 'dual amp' capability/tones of those devices with the THR100HD and the THR100 is the best at it...and it is the easiest to dial it in since its all dedicated knobs and switches on the hardware to get the sounds.

THR100HD + a 2x12 cab with stereo/mono jack plate (or a pair of cabs) and you are set.

Cgkindler likes this.
  4. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Supporting Member

5. GuitarGalah

GuitarGalah Member

If you like the THR10, the THR100 is the obvious direction to take. Must it be a combo?
    Yamaha doesn't make a THR combo yet bigger than the 10. Take a look at a Fender Mustang or Line 6 Amplifi.
    Not nearly as nice, but reasonably priced.
    Asking in the Digital & Modelling section, so I'll ignore tubes :(
    ... buy Helix, and get a 12" cab later?

Cgkindler likes this.
  6. Al Varez

Al Varez Member

It would take about 10 minutes to simply add two 1/4" speaker output jacks to your THR10C. Hooked up to 1 or 2 efficient 12" speakers with 10 watts should be able to hang with a drummer. This would cost you all of .50 cents in parts. Or you could go the $800-$1,200 new amp route to accomplish the same thing.

iim7V7I7 likes this.
  7. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

I'm a bit excited about the THR100 recommendations particularly the THR100HD. Obviously I'm used to tube amps so I had thought 100 watts would be serious overkill even if it is switchable down to 25 watts. I assumed it wouldn't sound good in a home environment. But like I said I'm not used to modeling gear.

I like the THR100HD idea. Would be nice to set up the channels with different reverb and different boost settings. Also, I like to make rhythm tracks on my Boss RC-3 looper and it'd be nice to record/play that looper on one channel and then play along to it thru the other channel. Plus being able to combine channels is pretty nifty. It would be nice if it had the same models as the THR10C but I'm guessing I'd be plenty happy with the options along with the different power tube settings on the back.

I'll have to do some more research on the THR100HD. To my understanding it takes pedals quite well? I could see ditching my two tube amps for this and then just having a small board with a good delay, tremolo along with maybe a reverb for extra flavor and maybe an OD or two.

Al Varez, I hadn't heard of anyone successfully hooking their THR10C up to a 12" speaker. From what I had heard it doesn't work to well because EQ wise it wasn't set up to be able work with normal guitar speakers.

8. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Because your budget is only a couple hundred away from getting the THR100HD and 2x12 that's what I'd recommend....

Playing at home, I believe it will give you an awesome tone and not be overkill - but when it's time to get the party started, you can crank it up and let the good times roll man.

I'd LOVE to have this setup, truly....it's just hard to make the $1400 leap....I'm getting more into the "frugal" or "got what I need" mode......but yeah, based on what you're saying, I'd recommend continuing the THR journey.

If a combo is a MUST - then Quilter makes a sweet offering or two....also as mentioned, the Mustang V is actually quite good, however no where near the THR stuff.

Good luck man! Hope you get want you need AND want!

9. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

Thanks, I'm just about to the point now to where maybe my only question left is if I should go with a single 212 cab or go with two 112 cabs. It would be nice to go elsewhere and get my own cabs and load my own selection of speakers. Plus I could get something where I could make the cab open back if I wanted. There's a lot of possibilities but I think I'm leaning toward two 112 cabs. Either way I've gotten to the point that I realize my tube amps and attenuator and pedal setup really isn't working all that well for me when I'm playing at home.

If I went ahead and got the THR100HD I would sell both my amps and have plenty of money to set things up quite nicely. I think I'm going to research speakers and cabs. I'll continue to play thru my gear and read up on the THR100HD this weekend and I think I'll be ready to peacefully give up the pipe dream of thinking tube amps are the end all be all. I'll end up having plenty of things to sell. BTW, has anyone had any luck getting a discount on the THR100? I'm hoping Musician's Friend will offer me a discount over the phone, they usually do (hey, every bit of savings helps).

10. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

I think Sweetwater has an exclusive rights thing for a little while on those.....call them and see what they'll do?

I've read that the Yamaha 2x12 is a great cab, and is obviously designed to work with the amp itself.

Either way, I think you can't go wrong!

11. Falconbill

Falconbill Member

You could go the route I did . . . . after the THR10C, I went with an Amplifire and play it through a Tech21 Power Engine I already had. You can find Tech 21 PEs used pretty cheap and new they're just around $400. Not FRFR, but sounds good with the Amplifire and is loud enough for gigs or practice. Or get a powered wedge.

Chris Hayden likes this.
  12. jageya

jageya Member