Got a Z Best 2x12 cab on the way ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MuseCafeChris, Jul 6, 2006.

1. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

The burning discomfort in my lower back has convinced me to ditch my 4x12 in favor of a Z Best 2x12 with a G12H30/Vintage 30 combo.

I've never mixed speakers in a cab before, nor have I owned a ported cab before. How much tonal goodness can I expect?

2. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Chris,
    It's a powerful cab. I had one with the same combo of speakers. The only reason I sold it was I found it to be a little too dark with my Route 66. Otherwise it rocks. It's not a light as you might expect but has a good weight to tone ratio.

3. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

Chris,
    Ditto on CBeeper's comments. Love the ZBest cab, but it's definitely not light. I picked up the 2x12, to lighten up, with the same speaker combo, and it's still one heavy mutha. Sounds good, though, and built like a tank. I wound up tading out the G12H30 and V30 for Clelestion Blues, and it really brightened it up, and even lightened it some.

4. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Played a Zbest cab with a G12H30 and V30 a while back... great sounding cab with just about anything plugged into it. Not really my thing but it definitely has a great tone.

Enjoy

<M

5. Tasweigan

Tasweigan Member

I recently recorded my third album and when I took my 66 and stock Zbest in, my producer has this awesome vintage Marshall 4-12 cab with greenies. I set up and said I really wanted to hear the 66 into his 4-12 and he said OK but let me hear how your cab sounds first. We put a mike on it, I played a few chords, he just smiled at me and said "Lets roll"!
    This guy pulls some of the best recorded guitar tones in Australia so that's a pretty big endorsement.
    Personally, I think if you are playing rock or you want that 4-12 sound, it is an awesome cab! I haven't heard anything to compare with it yet for what I like. Lots of low end thump and the V30 gives it lots of brightness in my opinion. Great combination. It is a loud cab though but if you're used to 4-12's you should be fine.
    Good choice!

6. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

+1 to all.
    I am going to try 1 or 2 blues down the road, but it is a big sounding cab,

7. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

I've got a Celestion Blue and a Heritage Greenback in mine - running the Aiken Intruder into it...drop dead beautiful tones.

Steve E

8. Tasweigan

Tasweigan Member

That's an interesting combination...I'd love to hear that with my Dr Z Route 66. I wonder if the power rating would be too close for comfort.

9. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I've got a Zbest that I did some tweaking to. I swapped the V30 for a Weber 30w Alnico Silver Bell, and I'm getting everything I wanted and more out of it. BTW, I'm running it with a Dr. Z Prescription ES, which is one of Z's more powerful amps, and these two guys work extremely well together. It's a heavy cab, but I'm reminded that the tone this thing puts out far outweighs the fact that I have to carry it around.

10. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Well, it arrived in one piece! Nice lookin' pair, eh?

[​IMG]

This thing is way lighter than my Bogner 2x12 and certainly my 4x12. Easily carried by the top handle with one hand. Firing it up tomorrow at rehearsal and then Saturday at a gig. Woohoo!

11. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Eventually that discomfort evolves into leg pain and discomfort while sitting for long periods. You made a wise choice. After I landed the Mojotone 2X12 and the CAE 2X12, never again will I lug a 4X12 and take a chance with my health. Z Best is killer stuff as well! Congrats. :BEER

12. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

What is everyone's opinion on whether it sounds better low on the floor or standing upright?

13. ben-horn

ben-horn Member

@ teleking:

could (would) you describe the difference between the V30 and the 30w Silver bell.bass,mids and highs .
    I #m thinking of swapping my v30

14. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I prefer my ZBest in the upright position. I just feel that the speakers seem to work together "better" in that position, if that makes any sense. I tried my ZBest in the horizontal position last week for the first time since I've owned it, and I wasn't too pleased. I went back to the vertical position and I'm much happier there.

I think the Silver Bell is a lot smoother in the mids and highs, but the V30 has a bit more punch, and of course is brighter and much more midrangey. I swapped out my V30 fairly quickly without spending too much time on it, so I'm thinking I might go back to it in the near future and see if there's anything I missed. I'm just in love with the Silver Bell, so I had to have it in my cab.

I'll have my custom ordered J Design 112 cab in around the end of July, and I plan on putting a 50w Alnico Silver Bell in there, and returning the ZBest to stock form. We'll see though. And JSYK, the G12H30 is staying right where it is; fantastic speaker.

15. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Bump...how is everyone feeling these days about the Z-Best 2x12?