Got a Zia Drive and all I can say is WOW!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vintagecrunch, May 17, 2008.

1. vintagecrunch

vintagecrunch Senior Member

I was out yesterday trying to find a used V3 OCD but the one I saw sold before I could pick it up... I decided to pick up a Zia Drive instead as I am a sucker for Stones tones and all I can say is WOW! I LOVE THIS THING!

It actually will probally know my OCD off my main board as I feel like for low to medium gain stuff this beats the OCD but still is in the same ballpark( at least I think so ). It is very Amp like and full of harmonics as well as plenty of beef and sparkle. Its great on a clean amp and a drity one and eventhough it was made to give 6V6 amps a EL84 feel it works wonders on my EL84 amp.
    It also sounds great with my JR's, SG's and Pauls leaving the tone and character of each intact.
    This pedal is what the OCD should have been and even though I am a fan of the OCD still, I dont think I will be needing a backup anylonger as it might not ever get stepped on.

Great job Alan.

2. radcliff

radcliff Member

I used the Zia last night and it sounded great. I like how it doesnt really add compression or humpy EQ - it fills the spot on my board that the COT50 filled, but it doesnt have that treble bite like the COT50.

3. pbone

pbone Member

I'm definitely thinking about getting one. But I've been using a DRRI, and when I move next month, I'm picking up a Lonestar, which has master volume, so I don't know if I should maybe pick up a Klon instead or something. Hm.

4. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

Where do you live that you can just pop out and pick up something from Durham Electronics? I can't think of a place here in the Columbus, OH area that carries much boutique stuff.

5. sandman

sandman Member

Anyone compared one to a Tim yet? What can it do that Tim/my can't? I really liked the clips...

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Timmy is grittier and a bit more open sounding.
    The Zia is a bit... fizzier? Great sound overall, but I didn't like the fizzies around my notes and ended up returning it.

-Ben

7. sandman

sandman Member

Thanks...
    'Fizzier', huh? In the top end...I guess. How's the bass/mid thing, a bit more meat in the mids perhaps?

Just askin' cause the Zia description is what I use the Tim for and I loved the clips.

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

No, not in the top end... like there's some fizzy weirdness around the notes as they decay. I've encountered a few pedals that do this - it's just not something I like. Then again, I'm going into a clean amp. And when I say clean, I mean clean... zero grit or anything from the amp. If I was boosting a slightly dirty amp or using it solely as a booster going in to other pedals, I probably wouldn't have noticed it as much.

The bass / mid thing. Bass seemed to be at unity with the Zia, and I did hear some thicker mids. Not a hump, but a noticeable thickening of the mids. It's not an uncolored pedal, but I wouldn't really call it out for coloring your tone a lot.

-Ben

9. sandman

sandman Member

That's what I thought! thnx

I also play into dead clean amps...kinda liked the 'furry' feel... (furry, fizzy :NUTS )

10. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Im liking the clips of this one. It might give my PP some pressure.

11. vintagecrunch

vintagecrunch Senior Member

I live in Austin Texas so Durham pedals are pretty easy to come by as well as alot of other high end stuff...
    As far as the "fizzyness" I guess if you are running a dead clean amp, but even my matchless I run with a touch of grit so I havent really noticed this... The pedal to me just gives some very musical dirty, grit and grind with solid bass and beefy mids. It also responds very nicely to volume knobs and lets the players guitar and amp shine though, not completely transparent but the character it adds is wonderful for me...
    Stones Tones all the way with a low gain amp and with a overdriven grinding amp it adds a nice cut and sweetness to leads...

I love it and it playes well with everything on my board( Klon, original Fulldrive, FatBoost, AC Boost )

12. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Im sold.