Got an acoustic, humidifier question

Dirtybanjo

Hi all,
So I took advantage of Black Friday and picked up a Martin 000MMV. For a humidifier I have this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...g&matchtype=&gclid=CJX_9b7Kj7sCFU_NOgodTE8APA

My concern is that with the case closed, the humidifier will push down on the strings and possibly damage the bridge by putting damaging pressures on it. Is this something I should be concerned about? Does anyone else have experience with these humidifiers and flat top cases?

Thanks,
Jake

David Collins

Nothing to be concerned about there at all. Even if the case does push the strings down a bit, the additional pressure on the bridge would be the equivalent of accidentally tuning your guitar 1 or 2 cents sharp. In other words, a complete non-issue.

These are pretty much the only humidifiers I recommend anymore. The biggest concern you should have is to follow their directions when filling it, using their syringe to slowly add water without overflowing to avoid washing out the gel crystals.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Great humidifier. Use distilled water.
I get the case version that has a magnet that attaches to a clip in the case. In the unlikely event of a error, if rather have water drop on the case lining or guitar finish yuan inside the sound hole.

You risk no damage from the string pressure.

joeprs

I've been using Oasis humidifiers for 4-5 years now. I have the sound hole one for my acoustics and the case one for my electrics. I've had one or two of them develop leaks, sent it back for a free replacement.
Dave, at Oasis, does recommend changing out the humigel once a year because it does get weaker after a while and not absorb as much water. The humidifier could be fine, but still leak if the humigel is bad. When replaced with fresh humigel, the leaking stops and you're good for another year.
As mentioned above, always use distilled water, otherwise your humidifier may clog with minerals, slowing or stopping evaporation.

David Collins

The gel system is key to it's success. I don't know if anyone here remembers the Humitar (a Gurian product if I recall correct) back in the 90's. It worked on a similar principle of a large reservoir to hold water with a semi-permeable membrane, but was a rectangular plastic housing with the membrane covering to two sides.

The idea is that the sponge filled tubes and discs of the DampIts and Kyser LifeGuards can hold very little moisture, so little that it can barely restore the moisture lost in a playing session in dry climates once you put it back in the case (much less restore moisture to the case itself), and would dry out in less than a day under many circumstances. By filling a larger reservoir with water you could provide sufficient moisture to last for days or even weeks.

Well the Humitar unfortunately sprung leaks, sometimes in the seals, others dripping out of the membrane itself, and after much damage to many guitars they were recalled and pulled off the market.

The folks at Oasis addressed this issue with the gel crystals. Their humidifier may be no less prone to developing possible leaks than the Humitar was, but if maintained properly there should never be any liquid water to leak out, as it is all supposed to be stored in a gel state. This is why it is critical that you never overfill it, as you can easily wash the gel (or crystals when filled from dry) out over the top. And as Joeprs stated, over time the crystals can become contaminated and lose capacity to swell fully, leaving liquid water not remaining in a gel form, so it's not a bad idea to replace them annually (though in my experience they don't go bad quite this fast if you use distilled water).

In my experience, they're the best guitar humidifier on the market today.

joeprs

Some of my humidifiers are 2 or 3 years old and waiting for me to replace the humigel. I think Dave, of Oasis, recommends annual replacement to limit people having problems with them.

Good explanation of how they actually work, Dave.

rowdyyates

Silver Supporting Member
As always, make sure the humidifier is actually needed before putting it in there. If you don't have a hygrometer get one before doing anything else. I have seen more guitars damaged by humidifiers than by low humidity.

RustyAxe

As always, make sure the humidifier is actually needed before putting it in there. If you don't have a hygrometer get one before doing anything else. I have seen more guitars damaged by humidifiers than by low humidity.
I agree that one needs to know what the actual RH is before treating it ... but I've never seen ONE guitar damaged by a good humidifier that was used properly. Those leaky Planet Waves Humidipaks were a poorly designed product. I've seen WAY more cracked tops and backs due to low humidity. I have about a dozen Oasis units, some for many, many years ... all work great. I use distilled water during the season and empty and rinse them out in the spring every year and put in new crystals when the heating season rolls around again.

rowdyyates

Silver Supporting Member
You always hear "use a humidifier" but rarely "if you need it". It all depends on where you live and what kind of heat you have. I've owned acoustics for 40 years and have never used a humidifier. The humidity inmy house drops below 40% every now and then, but doesn't stay there long. There are some areas where you'll have damage in a couple of weeks if you don't humidify. Point is, don't just assume you need it. Once you get a guitar wet it takes months to get it back to normal, if ever. And keep your guitar in the case!

clmazza

Gold Supporting Member
I have one of the Oasis case humidifier.s.. so far so good. Seems like a great product. I've looked at many and decided on the Oasis.

precbsed

Silver Supporting Member
I've used these for years with no issues. If you place it between the edge of the soundhole and either the high or low E strings it tends to have a lower profile if you are concerned about pressure on the strings when the case is closed. Either way they work great.

IceTre

Silver Supporting Member
I ended up just buying a humidifier for the room. That way I could leave the guitars and mandolin out on stands rather than having to take them in and out of the case every time I wanted to play.

Trending Topics