Got an H9 Max... Thinking of Selling all my Strymon

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MarkF786, Jan 24, 2015.

1. MarkF786

MarkF786 Member

Before Strymon came along, I owned all the Eventide Factor pedals (and a Space). But I preferred the Strymon sound, and over time replaced all my Eventide pedals with Strymon pedals (Timeline, Mobius, Big Sky). Recently, I bought an H9 Max, thinking it would supplement my Strymon pedals, but I'm finding now I mostly just use my H9. I typically only use one mod/delay/reverb effect at a time, and it' much easier using one H9 than three Strymon pedals. Though I think Strymon has better algorithms for many effects, I'm feeling the H9 is good enough.

So now I'm thinking of selling my Strymon pedals, maybe buying a used H9 Core for the rare occasions I want to use two effects. I'd love if someday Strymon came out with something like the H9, combining all their algorithms into one pedal; I'd buy it in a second.

Has anyone else been down this path? Any regrets? Maybe I'm just in the H9 honeymoon phase.

2. Sean413

Sean413 Member

I've been thinking about doing the sammme thing only mine would only be replacing a bigsky I'm just not sure if I gonna miss the 3 instant presets, the cab sim ,and the chorale setting... I'm still up I'm the air :dunno

3. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I sold my Big Sky and got a second H9 and a Neunaber Slate. Really good decision for my purposes.

4. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Keeping my TL and BigSky with my H9. I ditched the Möbius before I got the H9, but I can say I prefer the H9 over the möbius by a large margin. The ability to have a Delay (Timeline), a reverb (BigSky), and a modulation or second delay or second reverb (H9), makes my rig as versatile as I can imagine.

BintyTwanger77 and the tourist like this.
  5. porticoguitar1

porticoguitar1 Member

That's an interesting idea. Do you find the mod aspect of the H9 better than the Möbius? or do you just like having all the H9 algorithms plus mod?

6. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

I had the Strmon "big 3" and ditched them to go H9 a year ago and I've been very happy with the results. I greatly prefer the mods and reverb on the H9 to the Mobius and BigSky, but there are things I miss about the Timeline. Overall the delays are better on the H9 though and the option for dual delays is what drove me to go H9 in the first place.

7. thawn5150

thawn5150 Member

I've tried both and I really like the sounds of the H9. The Strymon pedals sounded nice but I just preferred the layout and sounds of the H9 better. Also I found being able to change settings with my ipad easy and amazing. I really find less is indeed more. Because I sing I don't have time live to be switching things off and on constantly and the average Joe in a bar isn't really going give two hoots about going from one effect to another anyway. As long as I am happy and it sounds good that's all I need.

8. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i wanted to do the same and then i realized i did not have any Strymon pedals.

Raghoister, Mr2D, wizard_23 and 11 others like this.
  9. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Better? Not really. I still give the Strymon the edge by a little, but I use modulation infrequent enough that I don't mind, and having Pitchfactor algos, plus the H9s delays and verbs really does allow for a ton of different ambient options. One thing I will say is that I mess around with the H9 setting much more than the Timeline. I have about 20 Timeline patches that I've been using since 2011 basically, and I've cooked up new ones, but rarely end up using them. Conversely, I am always tweaking the H9 and making new sounds at home with my iPad, but I don't rely on it to do any of my core Timeline or BigSky sounds.

It's a blast, a great sounding rig, and really lets me focus on ambience.

10. realast8

realast8 Member

Yeah I'm rocking a Timeline and 2 - H9s. I find that to be the sweet spot for me. I still use the delays on the H9 frequently. I just like having that subtle Strymon flavor on my base delays. Plus I don't use a looper enough to want a dedicated pedal for it but when I do use a looper - I like having the 30 seconds the Timeline gives me (vs 12 seconds or whatever on the H9).

I run my Timeline in the middle of an H9 sandwich in my signal chain. It's really cool going pitch effect into delay into reverb or reverb into delay into reverb or delay into delay into delay...The possibilities are almost endless.

the tourist likes this.
  11. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

Was on the same boat. Thinking of selling the timeline and mobius and keeping the H9. Buying a couple of modulation pedals and a delay. But I realized it was not cost effective and having a Disaster Area DMC 8D makes it easier to store patches and with a single button my I can have my timeline, mobius and H9 engage at the same time.

12. thesooze

thesooze Member

Does the H9 have a pitch vibrato setting?

13. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Yes, there is a Vibrato algorithm available.

14. jw112

jw112 Member

an H9 and a Neunaber Slate sound like a great idea!

15. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

Just got my H9 for Christmas and I'm seriously blown away. It's all I need! Everything is covered by this unit and I can recall any sound I want in a snap. Right now I just use it for Reverb and Chorus, but I intend to get delay on there eventually. It's that good. I run it with my Memory Lane Jr and Neunaber stereo Wet. Loving the results!

Preferred the H9 to everything Strymon by a fair margin. I preferred the way the Eventides sound.

16. Quintus

Quintus Member

Recently got an H9 MAX and am really impressed with its versatility and sounds. I've got one more space on my board and am considering either an H9 CORE or a Strymon Timeline, maybe even a Bigsky. Never owned a Strymon, but am intrigued by the idea of having a different set of delays or verbs on my board. Still, the H9 is just so damn functional and easy to navigate with an iPad. May make sense to just get a second H9 and be done with it.

Interested to hear others who have both the H9 and Strymon, or those who sold off their Strymon pedals for the H9.

17. nateco

nateco Member

I just recently got an H9..maxed it out.

I can't seem to nail that sound I get from my El Capistan, so it's still on my board....for every other delay sound on the planet, I think the H9 wins.

I think it's the tape wrinkle control on the El Cap that does it.

18. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

I would think that the benefits of having individual pedals (ie if one fails you've got another awesome pedal that can somewhat cover it)

19. WilliamVanJovi

WilliamVanJovi Member

3 H9s...love it. No need for the Strymon Holy Trinity.

20. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Sold my El Cap and just bought a second H9 (Max this time). I just prefer the H9 sound and versatility. 2 H9s and a TC X4 sandwiched between the two should give me just about everything I need.

macmax77 likes this.