Got an old Analogman Bi-Comp Rev 3 and....

edgie

with my Ruokangas Mojo(Tele-style for those who don't know) into a Gurus 5015 with Suhr 112 cab, it's already awesome for me. I don't hear the poor buffering or weak output that some people have encountered in the reviews I read. The controls have the right sensitivity, the sound is right, etc. I'm pretty sure this is a rev 3 as it has a green board and it has serial number of what appears to be #875(part of the "8" is peeled off with the old velcro so it could also be 3)

I'm really surprised that I even like the sound and response even more than the Sliderig CD that I had(sold due to GAS) which is also a beautiful compressor but with IMHO has more strident highs and very fast attack. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the 1176 type of comp or it could be the FETs not jiving with the Celestion V30 in my Suhr cab.

There's a thread where a user stated that Mike's reply to him in his email is that his Tele(single coil)-to-amp rig might not need the rev 4 at all. So my question is, is rev 4 or rev 5 specifically made for those who have humbuckers or hot pickups? Anyone here who didn't go for the upgrades and just kept their rev 3's?

Last edited:

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not really sure what your question is. I used to own a rev 3. First version that had standard 3-knobs right?
I loved it. I was more comfortable with it that a Keeley 2-knob which was pretty much an industry standard at the time.

Given AM's close association with Trey Anastasio and his original Grey Ross Comp tone, I trust whatever he does with a compressor.

I have not heard the new versions are tailored for humbuckers specifically.

edgie

Sorry about that, I missed typing out that in one of the threads, one user emailed Mike and his reply is that his Tele to amp rig might not benefit from modding his rev 3 to rev 4(at that time of posting, this is the latest version). I'll edit my question.

analogmike

Platinum Supporting Member
You may not need the rev4 features. If you have any buffers or buffered pedals (delay or reverb) after the comp, that will help with the stock Dynacomp/Ross poor output impedance issue. And a Tele pickup is not too hot, so it probably won't get overloaded. REV5 adds the MIX knob and louder output so you can use it to overdrive an amp. I think you are all set, they do sound awesome, have fun!

ArtDecade

El Bumpo - Is the revision listed on the circuit board? I have an old 3 knobber, but I have no idea if it is a rev3 or rev4. I am thinking about running a stereo setup soon so I don't want to run into phase issues.

analogmike

Platinum Supporting Member
Yes the REV3 or REV4 should be on the board, but most REV4 are blue. You can also see the board layouts on my comp page on analogman.com hope that helps!

Trending Topics