Got an RC, but alas!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by raj, Jun 16, 2006.

1. raj

raj Member

I got my hands on my friend's RC Booster, trying to get a good sound out of it. Notice that it thickens the tone, but am unsure of the settings.

Would really appreciate a showing of your RC booster settings, and maybe a brief explanation of what you use it for. Thanks!

2. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I use mine a a volume boost for my clean channel...and occasionally as a mild overdrive/volume boost for solo's. Haven't got a camera but i can tell you that my volume is about 2 o'clock, gain about 8 o'clock, treble 12 o'clock and bass back a fraction at say 11 o'clock. I just tweak mine to give a nice fat lift without being too woofy in the low end.

3. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Mine is set the same except the bass is at 12:00 also.

4. iggs

iggs Member

I use mine at the end of the chain to boost my signal to the amp ... really works wonders IMHO when in that position. Gain at 0, volume around 1 o'clock, bass a bit cw off center and treble around 1 as well.

5. abuloso

abuloso Member

6. raj

raj Member

I've saw all the videos, just wondering you guys use it, settings and all.

And thanks for all the replies, keep them coming!

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I remember when I tried out my friends RC Booster, I was disappointed there were no mids until someone mentioned that the gain knob also supplies the mids.

I ended up preferring my SCP, but the RC is a great transparent boost

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

I like the RC Booster but it's only a pedal.....you set it with your ears not your eyes.
    My RC settings for a BF amp are completely different for another amp.

Best, Pete.

9. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I use it to boost my Strat (bring it up to the level of my Lester at gigs). I also use it as a clean boost for the Les Paul. I roll of the highs a little bit so that the Strat doesn't sound too bright (I boost highs for me Les Paul).

When you crank the drive on the RC I find that it gives a VERY amplike mild crunch that's great for rhythm parts. I don't like to crank the drive for solos, though, as I find it thins out the sound a bit (at least with my rig). I use other pedals for fat, overdriven solo sounds.

Can't remember my settings, but I think they're pretty flat, generally with NO drive. As I said I roll back the highs a little bit -- setting the tone around 11:00.

10. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Moe45673 is right about the mids being tied to the gain, mine reacts the same way.

gb

11. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

I think it's also an excellent pedal to stack with a: Timmy, Zendrive, Landgraff, Keeley TS-808--or all alone the RC will never leave my pedalboard.

12. cameron

cameron Member

I use it as a clean(ish) boost. Last in my pedal chain. I keep the gain at about 1:00 (fattens a bit) the bass also at about 1:00, and the treble at around 10:00. Reducing the treble blow noon is key. If you kick the boost in and your amp sounds harsh, the sound-man is all too likely to compensate for your boost by turning you down in the mix. Turn down the treble at your booster and you can fatten/boost your signal without adding harshness.

13. drolling

drolling Member

Gotta agree w/Pete, here - I keep moving mine from my electric board to my electro-acoustic board, and from the beginning to the end of my signal chain, depending on the other effects that I'm using. So, obviously, my settings are going to be all over the map.

I've never found 'suggested settings' to be helpful in the slightest - especially when it's for a simple device w/a couple of tone knobs and a volume & clip control - Even settings suggested in manufacturer's manuals have left me scratching my head, wondering WTF they were thinking.

If you can't dial in a good sound w/your ear, this pedal's probably not for you and/or your equipment.

14. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I keep the treble and bass at around 1:00, gain at 11:00-12:00 and the volume at a slight boost as the first gain/boost in the chain. It adds some thump and sparkle at the same time along with just a little bit of hair.

Brett

15. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I use both. The SCP stays on about 90-95% of the time, and the RC is just before it as a boost for solos. I have the gain full up.

jb