Got Bogner Blue today and I am sending it back tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by woland, Jan 15, 2015.

1. woland

woland Member

I wish I read a bit more on it before buying it. Without boost engaged pedal is rather wimpy - especially on Plexi mode. And Boost pushes the volume up way way too far - even with both trimpots CCW. It basically becomes a different pedal with Boost engaged. That is not at all what I was hoping for - somehow I thought I could use Boost to get higher gain at the same (or slightly higher) volume level.
    That is rather disappointing - I had higher hopes for Bogner product. And NONE of the YT reviews ever mention the problem with Boost - that more or (as some people on TGP mentioned) is design FLAW. Not acceptable in $300 pedal. Not sure if I should bother to try Red or go back to Wamplers.

2. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

I had the same issue.

3. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I haven't gigged with mine yet but I do find the volume jump a little annoying. OTOH, I look at it less as a gain box and more as a "preamp". Into a clean platform it gives me the Marshall tone and I can feed pedals into it.

It does concern me that the switches have acted a little funny as well, but I will put it thru paces at a gig and find out the hard way.

4. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Hah. Same issue. I got mine for a really good price used. All of the demos show lots of gain (somehow). With a Strat and the gain dimed on the plexi side it doesn't even distort. Seriously, zero gain. Once you klick in the boost though you can get some great tones. I'd bump the volume and add a lot more gain and then I'd get some good ol plexi tones. The other good use for it is as a clean boost. Obviously not the point of the pedal but it has a hi-fi quality to it and a powerful eq section.

With humbuckers and a slide it's a lot more fun. If it was marketed as a low to mid gain boost type OD I think that would be more accurate.

5. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

Amptweaker Tight Drive Pro will give you hair of breakup through fairly high gain. The boost can take a slight overdrive to just a bit more(or less) drive through high gain depending how you set it. 9-18 volts can offer variable headroom and the loops offer many switching options with other pedals/amps etc. Same dough and problem solved. Check out Brett Kingmans demos. Really a fine piece of gear worth giving a shot.

6. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

I found the Blue to be exactly as everyone has described so far. Mine acted the same, as well as not getting along with my amp at all. It had a horrible buzzy character to the overdrive if I would turn the treble anywhere past noon. The boost side does give a noticeable jump in volume even with the trims turned all the way back. Not good for at home, bedroom volumes. Live however, it works perfectly as a solo boost to get out in front of the band. I will give it that.

I read on another thread here that some people are having their Blue sent back to Bogner to be modded so that the boost can achieve unity volume with the other side. IRRC, those that sent theirs off had good results.

7. Dorman

Dorman Member

I have the Bogner red and sold my Bogner blue last week after using them both for ~ a year. I found exactly the same thing - the volume jump between normal and boost was too much for me even at band rehearsal and gig volumes. My switches were also pretty touchy and would sometimes not engage/disengage. That being said I found it had plenty of gain on the blue side with humbuckers, and the boost side was great with singles or buckers. The plexi side did not have enough girth or drive for my tastes. The red boost does not suffer from the same volume jump and the switches seem proper on this one. You could try the red just be prepared for a slightly noisier pedal, and a tone that doesn't do low gain as well and is far more compressed than the blue - tons of gain on tap and very chewy mids.

8. woland

woland Member

Thanks for suggestion - just looked up James Brown demo and it is interesting idea. I think that friend of my (luthier, brilliant guitarist and a bit of tone connoisseur) was recently playing through one of Amptweaker pedals and was quite impressed (which is rare ;-)

EDIT: Oh yeah! Brett's demo shines! Sidetrack loop is a great idea to save you pedal switch tap dancing for clean tone.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  9. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I was hoping the La Grange would be what the Blue SHOULD have been, but even THAT hasn't been released yet 1 year later......

10. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

If the boost issue is your only gripe with the pedal you can send it to Bogner and they will mod it so that the boost is at unity when the dial is fully CCW.

11. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Get an original 3-button Plexitone.

12. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Absolutely. Amazing pedal through the right amp.

13. amptweaker

amptweaker Member

Our Pro series pedals have dual boost knobs, Pre and Post, on the higher gain TightMetal Pro and BigRock Pro, and they work fine on those......but while I was designing our TightDrive Pro I found that you needed to have the ability to CUT the output volume when you boosted the input Gain a lot. So I tweaked it so on the TDP you can CUT or BOOST the output volume, making it easy to balance the levels even if you're boosting the input a lot over a cleaner starting point, or if you're trying to get a large clean boost out of it by mostly boosting its output volume.

It's a natural phenomenon when you crank the input gain, since it turns the signal more and more into a square wave......and the same height square wave has twice the output of a sine wave. So that's the deal.

James B
    amptweaker.com

14. woland

woland Member

Well if that was $200 pedal and I loved the sound I might be inclined to spend extra. But I thought that sound was OK - especially with Strat - anemic without boost and a bit 1-dim with it. It was THICK - no doubt but perhaps I did not have right amps... who knows. I sent it back and exchanged for Amptweaker TightDrive Pro.

15. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

The bogner red may be too much gain for what you want. The red and blue do have some overlap, but not that much. After demoing the blue and red, I went for the red and then ordered a kingsley jester. :)

16. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I would recommend some of the same here. I tried the Blue twice, both times comparing it to a Kingsley Jester. Didn't work for me for some of the same reasons discussed above.

That said, I was also trying to make the Jester more aggressive than it is naturally (boosts and compressors, using mode 3). I ended up with a Red for my smooth gain (it does have some noise), and most recently a Zvex Distortron as my low gain (works surprisingly well despite its ability to also crank).

Joe

17. woland

woland Member

I almost bought Kingsley a while ago. But instead I went for Ethos - waited for a few months - and after I finally got one it was seriously disappointing. Not just the tone - and it was not just me - I asked couple semi pro friends that spent couple of my lifetimes flipping through pedal and they both said "meh". Plus it arrived in a weird conditions - couple knobs immediately fell off. I thought it was bizarre. But at that point I lost my position on Kingsley waiting list so I dropped the idea. I had at one point SIB! Varidrive and foolishly sold - it was very nice OD.

18. Ryan84

Ryan84 Member

Woland: Try exchanging it for a Bogner Burnley. It has more gain.

19. woland

woland Member

Thanks for comment, James - I have TD Pro on order now - should be here in a week or so. That behavior - boosting the gain and compensating to keep volume is exactly what I need. Together with Sidetrak loop it will be very flexible 3 channel setup. I spent most of my playing time in a jazz quartet (very amateur level) so I most of the time it is clean tone - EP booster + Morning Glory (I will put them in Sidetrak loop - maybe add autowah there too) - but it will be nice to mix occasional higher gain for some solos. My board will be Wampler Ego, TD Pro, ClichFX EP+, JHS Morning Glory, 3LeafAudio autowah, Diamond Quantum Leap and Strymon Flint.

20. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I just bought this pedal used from a fellow TGPer and maybe it's just me but I only notice maybe a slight bump in the volume when the boost is engaged with the trim fully ccw. I will agree the Plexi side is a bit low gain but with my LPs and 335s I think it sounds damn good. Flip it to Blue and you have more,...20th anny had more. It is finicky about amps. Sounds fantastic through the clean channel of my Goldfinger 45, but through the clean channel on my Bad Cat Lynx it's on the harsh side,...a bit buzzy, not as fat and clear as through the Goldfinger.