Got bored and made a few clips of my Star Nova

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blakemore Effects, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

As the title implied, I got a little bit bored today, and decided to make some sound clips. Keep in mind I'm not a professional audio engineer, so don't blame me if you think the recordings suck haha.

For the first clip I'm using my PRS Custom 22 straight into the clean channel of my Star Nova which is going into an Avatar 2x12 cab, and I'm miking the Celestion V30 speaker at first. Then after a bit I add in a Dr. Scientist Radicial Reverberator which I got today (you'll be able to tell where), then a bit later I add in my Boss DM-2.
    Clean Demo 1

The next demo has the same settings. Clean signal, add the Reverberator, add the DM-2.
    Clean Demo 2

The next demo is me using the high gain channel of the Nova, and turning the gain way up and improvising some chord progressions. No effects used on this one. Just the PRS Custom 22 into the Star Nova which is going into an Avatar 2x12 with the Celestion V30 miked.
    High Gain Demo

Update:
    For those of you who requested it, here is another clip I just did that I tried to do less gain-y than the first one. Once again, PRS into the Star with an Avatar 2x12 is all that was used here. It's still somewhat gainful, but a lot less so than the other one. I also try to use a little more dynamic range, so you hear how it sounds full on first, when I back off my picking attack, full on again, and then when I roll the volume knob back a bit. Hope this is more helpful.
    Star Nova Rock Demo 2

Let me know what you think!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

Bump. No one is interested in the Nova?

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

sounds good.
    I would like to hear the gain turned down a little more and used in a dynamic chord structure.

4. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

I could probably do that tomorrow or the day after. I just kind of wanted to show the versatility in the amp, and how it could go to both ends of the spectrum with room to spare on either side. I love this amp right now. Thanks for the compliment though!

5. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

some light hair to mid gain dirt would be cool

6. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

I think I could probably pull that off in the next few days. :wave

7. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

Great amp...I have had a Sampson Bad Cat, currently have a Sampson Matchess and SMF...would love to have one of his Star amps one day...Never disappoints..congrats

8. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

Star Nova? Got one. Dig it. Records lovely.

Nice tones there with the Dr. Scientist. I was just checking those out the other day. Wild paint jobs.

9. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

Thanks, man. Sounds like you've got an incredibly nice amp collection going there, so congrats to yourself!

Yeah, I haven't had the Star too long, but it doesn't seem like there is much it can't do.

Thanks though. Dr. Scientist makes some great stuff. The Reverberator is the only one I've tried in my rig before, but the other ones all sound amazing from the clips I've heard.

10. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

True - the amp can do more than might originally meet the ear or eye.

It was the only amp I used on this session (ignore the incompetent cellist) :

http://www.myspace.com/sansyoumusic

Just a pure,dry archtop tone. It's what I wanted to hear for this material but probably isnt everyone's taste.

11. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

For those of you who requested it, here is another clip I just did that I tried to do less gain-y than the first one. Once again, PRS into the Star with an Avatar 2x12 is all that was used here. It's still somewhat gainful, but a lot less so than the other one. I also try to use a little more dynamic range, so you hear how it sounds full on first, when I back off my picking attack, full on again, and then when I roll the volume knob back a bit. Hope this is more helpful.

Star Nova Rock Demo 2

12. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

Sorry. I missed this before. That is a pretty cool archtop tone though. Seems pretty non-traditional, but then again, I don't listen to this type of music all too often. Also, I wouldn't call the cellist "incompetent." ;) I can hear what they're trying to do at least haha.

13. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Very nice! I enjoyed all the clips. I'm a big Matchless/Bad Cat guy - I may have to add one of these to the list! Very well done!

14. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it.

15. mrmurph

mrmurph Member

Hey...sounds great..I'm starting to experiment with my Star Nova and external cabs etc. What is the Ohm load on the Avatar Cab you're using?

I have a 4 Ohm Matchless 2x12 cab that I run my Chieftain through, and the Nova seems to be even more "gainey" through it---probably because the lighter resistance. I'm not sure what the safety parameters are for the Nova in terms of resistance...any ideas there?

thanks

16. Blakemore Effects

Blakemore Effects Member

Thanks, man. I'm still pretty new to the whole speakers and ohm ratings thing, so I can't tell you if what you're doing is dangerous or not, but I know the Avatar is supposed to have an 8 ohm speaker, so that's what my Avatar cab is.