Got Drunk and Bought a Gainster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wooley, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Wooley

Wooley Member

Came home drunk. Saw a Clark Gainster on ebay (even though I rarely use ebay, just a little drunken surfing). Bought the Clark Gainster because I think I read on this forum that they were great.

So what the hell did I just buy?
    Can anyone clue me in? Did I just waste my money, or is something cool on the way? I'll be sober tomorrow, so please fill me in.:BEER

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

A lot of people love them...should be an easy turn around if you don't. Man, when I used to drink I would buy all sorts of ****...CDs of bands I didn't like lol. Luckily I quit before I got into effects!

3. eric-d

eric-d Member

Yup.... I just bought a Classic Distortion (tonebone) off ebay not even 30 minutes ago.... my wife's going to be pissed...

4. Wooley

Wooley Member

My fiancee says we oughta hook a breathalyzer to the computer so neither of us can do this anymore. :jo

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

If you like tweed-esque OD tones you will love the Gainster-I love mine(Barber version). Great grit, grind and very articulate. And I run mine into a clean sounding slightly cranked plexi Marshall. I got drunk and bought a '59 Les Paul on ebay once! (Not really!!!)

6. eric-d

eric-d Member

LOL.... I hope that never happens... I don't want to think rationally about my purchases. I know what I want, but I never pull the trigger when I'm sober... :D

7. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Man, I think I was looking at that one! Funny story. If oyu don;t like it, I'll take it.

8. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Is it the Clark or Clark/Barber Gainster?

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

It's a very good pedal, my favorite so far for clean boost, mild OD with a BFDR. Subtle, the gain won't knock you down. Instead, it's actually useful, throws a bit of grainyness into the mix, which is exactly what I want. (I much prefer good tube OD to tube screamer type boost sounds, FWIW.)

10. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

mz wife divorced me when in a drunken stupor i bought a dumble!
    :(

i still luv her! errr.......... the dumble i mean!

11. Wooley

Wooley Member

It just says Clark on it, but the description says it is a collaboration between Barber and Clark.

And if it ain't my brand, I will be happy to pass it along to whoever that was that was looking at it on ebay.

12. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Man if that's the worst thing you do when you tie one on, you're in pretty good shape! I have too many stories that start out with "Got drunk and..." that don't end anywhere near as nice as getting a pedal in the mail a few days later (of course these stories are from quite some time ago before I became respectable :eek: ).

13. Wooley

Wooley Member

Ah, just went back and checked and it is signed by Michael Clark and Dave Barber, #9.

14. mprvise

mprvise Member

HA! I bought a Fulldrive 2 10th anniversary yesterday while hung over. Alcohol and GAS should not mix. :)

15. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

WOW! I thought I was the only one that did this. I've bought an airbrake, pedals, JCM800's (2) and who knows what. THank god I get outbid on most things.

16. drolling

drolling Member

Man, I don't need a drop of booze to fuel that brand of insanity...

High-speed internet access, insomnia & a couple of credit cards have caused some pretty strange sh!t to show up on my doorstep..

17. eric-d

eric-d Member

Well, I got it today - This thing is sweet.. It does sooooo much. I can almost get it to sound like a tube-screamer to full on balls distortion!

[​IMG]