Got It! Fuchs Scott Lerner Modded Ods!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Barry is right. Just got it in this morning. The amp completely kills. It can be set to be very aggresive sounding, or set for the smoothest sounding overdrive you will ever hear from an amp. I mean so smooth, that there is ZERO buzz. None, zilch, bagel, goose egg, nada, zip, deep six. :D

How does it compare to my E.Pro?? I need to get inside my TwoRock and adjust the trimmers, as they are not to my likeing right now. I had the amp in for a bias adjust, and they "adjusted the trimmers" for me. :mad: Right now, I have to back off the treble. however, as it stands, I like the Fuchs more. Its INSANE. The cleans on the TwoRock I like more, but its pretty close, and neither are like my Brunos. (The Bruno S100s are not as good as my Brunos either, so thats just the Dumble type circuit) Also, mine is a mod, and has smaller transformers, which for overdrive I prefer. It gets the squishy feel which I love, and also the smoother mids. The overdrive channel is just unreal. Smooth, detailed, responsive, articulate, etc etc. It is also capable of MONSTER amounts of gain. Scott turned my internal gain trimmer down, and it STILL has WAY more than I would ever use, even for metal. For comparison, it has FAR more than a Fulldrive II with everything maxed in the boost mode. It can go into pretty much total saturation, so you can mindlessly hammer and pull notes at will. :D The other thing that it does is allow you to REALLY balance the two channels perfectly, and goes from fairly clean to pretty dirty with just picking pressure. My UG 30 with a Mudhoney, Genes tan Dumble, and the Bruno S100 are the only other amps that do it as well.

I would EASILY take this amp over any of the 3 Dumbles I have played. :dude

Robben Ford......The two Rock low gain Emerald Pro still is the king for it. The ability to get that "phasing" or "strained" sound is something that I just cant match with this Fuchs, or ANY other TwoRock I have played. Scott and I both feel that Fords Dumble may have the post overdrive tone stack like the E.Pro, which contributes to that sound.

All in all, this Fuchs SMOKES!! Great job dog ears! :) Clips will be coming for comparison ASAP.

2. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

Son of a B*tch....

....G.A.S... reaching... critical... levels.....

...must... sell... kidney... for... Bassman... mod

*dead*

mR

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

:AOK

'Ol Dog Ears does pretty good work, doesn't he? Now if he could just keep from slobbering over everything....my amp still smells like Alpo. :D :D

4. fig

fig Member

Hey, Tag. I'm really happy for you! I got my amp back from Scott, but there are a couple of small issues that have to be sorted out - nothing that Scott did wrong. When it left his hands he said ours sounded really close.

I think some things got messed up in shipping. In fact, I'm sure it did. A tube was bad and one or two minor things.

I too will post some clips soon - although yours will be better. :D

5. scottl

scottl Member

I'm on it....

Never fear....dog ears is here. Wow, my own catch phrase!

Glad you dig Tag!

Greg's had a rough shipping and the V2 tube was dead upon arrival. ;)

6. Tag

Hey Fig!
    Once you get it straightened out, trust me, it has BOATLOADS of gain! Lol! With the treble cap knob (is that right Scott??) on the back of the amp, you can dial in any amout of smoothness, with any guitar that you want. INSANE! It is the coolest and most effective knob on any amp I have ever played. Right now I like mine with the mid cap knob pulled out (not the midboost), first gain on about 11 oclock, and the lead gain about 10-11 O clock. All tone knobs at 12, and that weird treble knob in the back in EVERY position! I cant tell where I like it the most! It sounds UNREAL and very different in every setting! How many amps can do THAT! :dude

First off, I loved this amp to begin with. My hat has always been off to Andy, as it was just killer totally stock. Scott is a prefectionest like myself. I know how many hours he has been working on this these things to get it just how he wanted it, and it shows BIG time. The bad point is this, and I am being dead serious. It sounds so incredibly cool, and there are SOO many tones available, you can tweak for hours and hours and love every single tone. It can really take time away from serious practicing. I have three all time favorite overdriven tones now. This Fuchs, and my UG 30 and Cowtippers with my Mudhoney pedal. It just does not get any better. :AOK

Scott is as good an amp tweaker as he is a player! :eek:

7. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Sounds fizzy to me...
    :D

8. mude

mude Supporting Member

What amp was this before the Fuch's mod?

Evan.

9. clunk

clunk Member

Awsome. Glad to hear you like it and it turned out good for you Tag.

Clunk

10. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

I'm a little confused - is Scott doing amp mods or is Andy doing mods to his amps that Scott came up with?

Glad your liking your new amp.

11. scottl

scottl Member

Andy is the guy.

I only hand tweaked Tag's amp to a different place. Because he blackmailed me with secret pictures of me in "those" shorts! ;)

I am not in the amp business.... Please direct any questions to Andy as he is aware of the tweaks. He and I worked together to get to this place.

Andy and I developed the SLX tweaks for the production line. I did some special frankentweaks to Tag's old used mod as a favor. Some of the tweaks are R&D experiments that clearly have merit.

Scott

12. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

Lederhosen?

[​IMG]

13. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Thanks for the reply Scott. I figure any amp tweaks that get me close to your sound is a good thing.

14. Ayan

Ayan Member

Tag, congrats on the new amp, good to hear that you're so happy with it!

As far as your remark regarding Ford's amp, a couple of weeks ago I played the Ojai Bowlful of Blues festival, which Robben headlined. As a "fringe benefit" for being on that bill, I got to hang out backstage and was able to see Robben's amp up close, I paid attention to the settings he used, and I heard the amp's sound through the P.A. as well as coming straight from the 2x12 cabinet from about 5 feet off to its side. Now, this is his #2 amp, the tan head with the script-lettered logo... At any rate, I would be willing to bet that amp does not have the extra post OD TS. With the settings he used, and the sound of the amp not miked, I think that would be extremely unlikely. And that begs the question: how likely would it be that Ford would have two different amps, one with the extar controls and one without? :) Who knows!

Also, for what it's worth, he didn't use the overdrive by itself at all. He was either on the clean channel with the preamp boost added on top of it (when he used humbuckers -- LP), or else sometimes from there he stepped on the overdrive switch on top of the boost (when he used the Tele or the LP but with the coils split). His sound was not the greatest, I have seen him live in excess of 20 times by now, and to me his tone was at its best around 92-93, and that's mainly the reason I moved from the front of the stage to the side/backstage. His guitar(s) sounded a bit grainy, which was beginning to irritate me... Anyway, the band warmed up nicely and Robben ended up playing incredibly well, about as good as I've ever seen him. At that point, I wasn't even paying attention to hit tone anyomore, the guy was in the zone.

Gil

15. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Scott,

Being that you have "dog ears", I guess we'll have to come with a nick name that fits. Let's see....how about Butch, Spot, Max, Rover? Or Tinkerbell! Perhaps we can get you a date with Paris. With a nickname like that, it shouldn't be a problem. LOL

16. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

is this a conspiracy or something!?

i guess that about settles it...i'll just have to get myself a frankentweaked lerner-fuchs!

...say that 5 times fast....

17. Tag

Hey Gil!
    Great info as always, and great to hear from you. I hope all is well.

That is also my fave years for Fords tone. Did you happen to see him when he toured with dave Sanborn? Im not sure of the year, but that was my favorite live tone of Fords. Also, the last 2-3 times I have seen him, I have not cared for his tone at all. Way to middy, not very smooth, and harsh as well. Bummer. his playing is always great though, and thats the bottom line.

I need to experiment more with my TwoRock and the Fuchs. I talked to scott, and I have since found that the one knob I love so much is the key to that straining, tubey type of sound. Hopefully I will have time to adjust the trimmers on the twoRock, and give a perfect A\B between the two tomorrow. This Fuchs sounds so great, I do not even think I care however. I think Andy needs to do a handwired, "sig" version of this amp for us totally anal types. :D I can tell you in all honesty I would not trade this amp for Fords Dumble from the Blue line era. It is UNREAL. You know I am not easily impressed, and I like cheap amps as well as expensive ones. The tones I was just getting with my PRS Artist III semi hollow were unreal. I can just sit there and play the most basic pentatonic licks with a sick smile on my face. I can dial out every bit of buzz with any of my guitars. Its like a totally clean tone with all of the sustain of a heavily overdriven amp. :)

Scott has been calling and sending me clips for the last several momnths every time he changes something and gets it "better". I thought he had lost his mind and inhaled to many solder fumes. The amp speaks for itself. It really is Dumble to the next level, while still being able to grab older Dumble tones as well. I always LOVED the gain boost and midboost, now I do not even need them, all though they are there. You need to try one of these amps. I have a feeling you are going to be EXTREMELY impressed. Its like Dumble in the year 3000.

Fantastic job there Scott. I owe you BIG time. :BEER

18. scottl

scottl Member

I agree with Gil. Some of that older Ford stuff reminds me of post OD stack. On the other hand, I don't think it sounds like one now. Let's ask Jimmy Hoffa.....

Once again, glad you are digging it Tag.

Clips please ;)

19. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

hey tag,
    which two rocks have you've played that you can compare this fuchs to? is it just the low gain em pro?
    thanks,
    matt

20. Tag

On the cleans and fuzzier drive sounds, the Custom reverb. The Custom reverb can not get anywhere near this smooth however. The E.Pro has the smoothest drive of any amp I have played, up until now. I need to adjust the trimmers on the E.pro before I give a true comparison however. I will try and do that tomorrow. Both amps are killer, but the abilty to go from Ford like tones and far beyond on the Fuchs is totally sick.