Got me some new pedals..Greer Lightspeed and Black Tiger

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by big mike, Apr 12, 2016.

1. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Staff Member

[​IMG]

So here's my board update
    Pedalboard Junction is the black pedal onthe right. Basically an interface with a tuner A/B mute.
    From there signal hits the modded Dunlop wah )fasel and true BP..and custom paint. LOL) Archer, Lightspeed, BB Preamp, iStomp set for Reverb, and the Black Tiger delay device.

I've used tons of Greer stuff off and on for years. Still have the original relic proto and a couple one of things that I use, but it's been awhile. So I was excited to try his new stuff. I was a dealer back in the day, and we're friends, but he damn well knows I"ll tell him if I think something sucks.

1st the lightspeed. Damn. It's become my 'always on' pedal in front of my marshall when I'm running it cleanish as a pedal platform. Adds just the right EQ flavor and just a touch of hair to make thigns breath a bit and not feel so stiff. It also reacts VERY well to stacking, and I love the Archer kicking it to a higher level. For higher gain stuff I run the BB after..or use it for lead boost on top of the BB when run in that fashion. Tasty, nice ass end to it, really miss it when it's not on.

Black tiger delay. the DD3 has finally been tossed off the board. Much more range, really natural sounding, smooth and warm, not sterile. The second footswitch to make it oscillate is a ball as well. I set it pretty light, just a hair passed slap back, but it really sounds fabulous. And doesn't rob any tone.

Really well done. Anxious to try some of the other new stuff, but this was impressive. Nick's evolved quite well over the last few years. Really useable range of gain and volume on the controls..not a bad setting on either box.

2. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Nice reviews, big mike, I've been interested in that Black Tiger for a while.

3. la noise

la noise Member

Where's that Fuzz, Mike???? :huh

:D

sanfi4u likes this.
  4. big mike

Lol no fuzz yet but I'm pondering.

5. BRCustoms

BRCustoms Member

Nice! I have been wanting to pick up the Greer Lightspeed for a hot minute now. Just need to sell my JHS Morning Glory to get it!

6. big mike

You won't be disappointed. I'm really loving it.

7. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

I just discovered the Black Tiger, looks like the perfect simple digital delay as long as it can take being slammed with a dimed fuzz face (which that board needs btw :))

8. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

I've picked up a Greer Lightspeed a few days ago and was literally shocked with the sound quality. Top notch overdrive for sure. One of the best. I end up with trying to get me a Greer Southland today :)

btjguitarman and big mike like this.
  9. spayne99

spayne99 Member

I scored a Brown Bomber and looking forward to trying it out in a few days. Sounds like it might be a good one!

Flatscan likes this.
  10. big mike

Have't tried that, but one of these days.

11. big mike

Brown bomber's are SICK. I still want one! Such a killer pedal.

Flatscan likes this.
  12. big mike

What's sicker now is that board has already been revamped. LOL

13. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Surprisingly I wasn't much impressed with a Southland. So I saved myself some money by leaving it in the shop.​

14. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

Love the Lightspeed... it's the perfect thing to give just the slightest bite to my tone. Such a great pedal. Greer's stuff is really quite good all around. I've been giving serious thought to picking up a Southland when I can come up with some cash for it cuz it and the Lightspeed interact so well together

15. IRG

IRG Member

Wonder how the Lightspeed compares to the Rockett Blue Note TE?

16. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

The blue note seemed like way more of a ts style pedal... Mid hump, bad cut (although way less severe than a ts9) and fairly heavy compression. The lightspeed is very transparent and way more open. I spent a fair amount of time with the blue note when I was looking for a low gainer.

17. IRG

IRG Member

Good to know. I can't here the midhump in demos, which is why demos can only do so much. The recent Mike Hermans demo for PGS with the Tour Edition BN sounded good to me, but almost not enough gain. Does the Lightspeed have more than a little gain or is it fairly low gain cranked up?

18. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

It's really low gain... I play single coils though so there is that. There's not a lot of gain on tap at all with it though... Maybe bordering on a mid gain with the right amp and humbuckers.

19. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

The Brown Bomber is in my Top 5 drive pedals of all time.

I love Nick's stuff. I'm eager to try his amps.

20. IRG

IRG Member

I wonder if it becomes more of a medium gain when stacked with the Special Request?