Got my 2nd Timmy today and it is CONSISTANT!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fast ricky love, Mar 17, 2006.

1. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Sounds every bit as good as the first one I have. So not like you need to go thru a bunch of em to find the *right* one. :)

And now that I have 2 I was able to really tell the difference in changing OpAmps... here's what I found:

Stock (4559) - A bit thinner and brighter
    4558 - More mids and compression, my fav
    LM833 - Like splitting the difference between the 4559 and 4558. Nice too.
    1458 - Mellower and not as much gain

Really all sound great but I like the more rounded and full tone the 4558 gives. Damn I love this pedal!!

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

That's good to know. I love boutique effects but I think consistency is important. Heck, even with some older mass produced stuff you have to search and search to find the right one.

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Anyone try an LM308 in there? Just curious if it would work. It is the same as a rat uses. ( I know silly, but still curious).

4. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I'd like to get another Timmy too, it's such a killer pedal! And thanks for the "chip-out"!

5. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

Hey fast ricky love, just curious- which 4558? I've got an old TI4558P plus I've also got JRC4558D, JRC4558DD & JRC4558DY.

Been trying the LM1458 too-interesting in the TIM. I'll have to try them all again when my Timmy arrives.

6. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Paul C. crafts the pedals so carefully and with pride and compassion. Timmy is a winner!

7. fast ricky love

Hey Realfi, it's the JRC4558D, the 'Tubescreamer' one...

8. Realfi

OK the 'standard' one. I've compared that one to the TI4558P that I have (and that Keeley sometimes puts in his TS mods) and I find that to be a little clearer than the JRC but only a fraction. Very subtle but yet another variation!

9. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

Ricky, thanks for the info. Would you say that the JRC4558D gives a creamier, sustaining type of sound for soloing? The thought of two Timmys intrigues me; I use one for basic low gain chording (where the Timmy really shines), maybe a second, fatter sounding Timmy would be ideal for solos! Currently I use a Zendrive for leads. While I do love the smooth, singing qualities my Zendrive provides, I sometimes wish it had the clarity and EQ capabilities I find in the Timmy.

10. drolling

drolling Member

So I'm not the only person who wants two Timmys! I'm still waiting for my second one (and a Tim) but the first one's seen a lot of active duty since I got it in December.

I asked Paul if it was possible that I got a *good* one, and he said given the design & quality of the components, it was almost impossible that there'd be any difference from one pedal to the next.

11. Realfi

A buddy of mine has two Timmys-one that used to be mine and one that he got at the same time. I have a TIM and another Timmy on order so I'm thinking that we'll have a 3 way Timmy test soon. We'll be able to compare and contrast with different opamps & different DIP switch settings.

Should be fun.

12. fast ricky love

I would definately say the JRC4558D will give you that tone you're looking for. I'm not one to stack pedals, I like to keep the signal as pure as possible so guitar ---> Timmy ---> amp is what I'm hoping to stick with. But with both pedals on, it does get thicker for sure. Not a lot more gain that way but chewier/thicker.

13. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

Yeah, I'm not big on stacking either (although I do like running an RC Booster into the Timmy). I would be looking at the 2nd Timmy to provide a thicker, more compressed flavor of gain on its own, without stacking. I guess what I need to do is try a chip swap, and if I like what I hear, order another Timmy.

14. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Where are you sourcing the 4558 from? Mouser or someone like that? Radio Shack? ;-o

just curious, I may want to essperiment....

cheers,
    jc

15. billybob77036

billybob77036 Member

Instead of starting a new thread, thought I'd ask here.

1) is the only way to get on the list to call Paul? ie no email?

2) what is the current wait time of a timmy?

16. thebot

thebot Member

I've tried (and others have tried) e-mail with no joy - seems only way is to call.

17. fast ricky love