• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Got my amp, love my tone, want "more" pedal

Hi TGP,

Cliffs notes: Want recommendations for super-transparent violin-tone/pissed off Plexi OD pedal that plays nicely with Fender amps and other high-quality pedals.

I finally settled on a rig of Les Paul/telecaster/80's Ibanez -> Japanese OD/boost pedal called a "Force" (ultra transparent, very clear and articulate but can get gritty) -> Fender Twin/Deluxe Reverb. I love the whole rig and would like to keep this same basic tone (light overdrive, very bright, clear, and responsive, but unforgiving to bad notes) but get higher gain a la Eric Johnson/Joe Bonamassa. The sound I'm getting right now is really "thereish", like if you just added the right pedal before the boost with a delay before the amp, you'd have a fantastic Violin tone. By the way, I'm not looking to sound exactly like either of those guys, but just to get a pedal that'll get me something like EJ's tone in ACL's Righteous and Cliffs of Dover that I can adjust to comfort.

I've been looking into the Jetter Gain Stage pedals, Blue, Purple, and Red, as well as a Tube Driver. The demos all sound fantastic, but I'm not sure if these pedals will "dominate" the rig too much. I have a Keeley DS-1, for example, that simply doesn't sound good coupled with anything else but delay, something I want to avoid with a new pedal purchase. I love tinkering with pedal order, settings, and stacking, so I'd like whatever I buy to respond in as amp-like, transparent, and stackable a way as possible.

So... 1) Am I making sense/do you guys kinda understand where I'm going with this windy 4am post? and 2) What pedals would you recommend to get me where I want to be?

If it helps, the OCD, Fulldrive, and Radial Pedals really didn't do it for me.

Thanks!

schenkadere

If you like the Jettergear pedals, you may want to look at the SRB808+ by Effects Pedal Boutique. It is a very versatile pedal...3 modes(Marshall/Clean Boost-Dumble/Improved TS808), fat boost and a great price! All handmade by Dave who is a great guy and very helpful.

I have the 2 in 1 with the RC4559P IRCs...the RC4558Ps are great too. Many choices are available at no extra charge. You wont believe the quality at this price. You would pay 3-4 times more for nowhere near this tone.

Here's a link to his site:
http://effectspedalboutique.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=3

He sells on eBay too at a reduced price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SRB808-twin-toggle-boutique-OD-NEW-Video-demo_W0QQitemZ200319935213QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item200319935213&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

This is the one I have listed on eBay for a GREAT price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SRB808-2in1-Dual-Overdrive-Pedal-KILLER-tones_W0QQitemZ320349745294QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item320349745294&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Last edited:

drmike

Silver Supporting Member
The Jetter Red pedal produces some very smooth low to medium gain tones. Very transparent with the right amount of sustain and no fizz. Definitely worth checking out.

rcl

I use three ODs for different things. Lovepedal COT for mild attitude with a little coloration. Helios OD for straight up boosting and no coloration, just thickens things up a tad and makes it a little louder for leads. Then I have an OCD v3 at the end for when I want to rip a face or two off. A few pedals mixed in between and ending in an elmwood modena. Some pedals love some amps, not others. I was thrilled with the boostiest with my marshall JVM, the elmwood and 4 of my other amps don't like it as much. I usually use the m60 gain sounds and the COT and Helios to color/or not and add some gain if needed. It augments the boost feature already on the amp.

Channel 2
Channel 2 w/boost
+helios
+COT

or any combination of those. The OCD is rarely used, but when I go somewhere else to play without my amp, it can make most clean channels sound pretty good.

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely try to give everything a listen.
The funny thing is the Sex Drive sounds like nothing at unity as it really is that clear. YOu can get more gain by driving the front end of your amp a bit. Like having a bit hotter pickups without changing your tone at all. Proguitarshop.com has the best clip.

The greatest thing about the sex drive is it has a buffer so even when off it gives you tone a little "more" and definitely more sustain. It is best to run it last as it has so much headroom you cant overload it.

Guinness Lad

The Jetter stuff totally changes your basic amp tone. If you want the same basic sound get a Tim pedal. Another option might be a Klon but those get pretty middy once you turn up the gain.

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a bit confused...you play a Fender and want a pissed off Plexi tone...but you want the pedal to be transparent? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused.

schenkadere

I'm a bit confused...you play a Fender and want a pissed off Plexi tone...but you want the pedal to be transparent? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused.
Good point. I'm not getting it...violin like tones and pissed off Plexi, yet transparent? I don't imagine it's a one pedal deal.

Jet Age Eric

I just got a Tim and will be unloading it because my DOD 250 (modded by Solid Gold) is more transparent (so to speak). Not to say the Tim is bad, mind you, but I'd look for a 250 first. -E

The Jetter stuff totally changes your basic amp tone. If you want the same basic sound get a Tim pedal. Another option might be a Klon but those get pretty middy once you turn up the gain.

Yeah, I had the chance last night to crank it and run pedals into it and realized I'm definitely not after transparent. It needs saturation, mids and low end, and the high end needs to be softened a bit.

I think the Jetter/Tube Driver are the right choices and will be trying those first.

Trending Topics