got my Axe-FX Ultra today!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jb70, Jun 3, 2008.

1. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

just wanted to chime in quickly here about the axe-fx ultra. i bought this primarily to record guitar tracks. i live in a big apartment building in jersey city and cannot mic up an amp. i've been using guitar rig 2, amplitube 2, and waves gtr for the past year and a half and have been getting decent results.

i haven't read the axe-fx manual yet but i quickly hooked the ultra up to my mbox2 pro and within seconds was scrolling through the presets (i think i got somewhere into the 70's). keep in mind that i have been using gr2, amplitube 2, and waves gtr and have those sounds in my head as a reference. i'm also listening through some cheaper tascam x5 monitors. the plug-ins that i have been using are not in the same universe as the axe-fx. not even close. the quality of the tones and effects are worlds apart and the responsiveness to my touch is outstanding. also, there is a depth to the sounds of the axe-fx that the plug-ins don't have. and these are just the presets! granted, i will probably never use most of these presets but i can already tell that this thing is a keeper. i just wish i had this thing before i started recording my CD.

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

3. Noah

Noah Member

Congrats, and I hear ya on the recording thing. I'm going to try and use the axe-fx almost exclusively for recording some new tunes this summer. The only problem I can forsee at all is trying to dial in certain tones/effects quickly without wasting too much on the clock in an expensive studio.

4. zachman

zachman Senior Member

Congrats... :agree

5. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

thanks guys. i have wednesday off and will write a more in-depth review after i really get into the unit and start tweaking. it was just astounding how much better the axe-fx tones were after using these plug-ins for the last year and a half. i'm also pretty excited about the new products that cliff said were coming out soon (footswitch and a new frfr type of thingy).