Got my Clearsonic Amp "Shield"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Scott Peterson, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Sometimes, well, all the time, the simpliest things make the biggest difference.

If your amp is too loud, but you have to turn it up - this thing does the trick. It isn't cheap, and you could make do with a do-it-yourself solution; but this thing is really well constructed, heavy duty and looks totally professional. The thing folds down flat as a pancake; you can run cables easily in the "channel" between the panels and it weighs about 14lbs. Nice.

I actually ran my Germino Club 40 and then Lead 55(!) full bore in my 12 x 18 office today; and didn't die. :D It was still LOUD, but I am still here typing this now. Impressed!

You can use this in combination with the THD Hot Plate to tame most anything and still get your tone. I like the Hot Plate at -4db and -8db; I can suffer it at -12db; now with this I bet I can bring the amp level up to where the speakers start adding their magic and the tone becomes much more "present" and "full" and still not take anyone's head off.

And, it looks cool.

I have a rehearsal on Monday then a big show on Tuesday; this thing will be going with me.

Thumbs up to Clearsonic. The A2-4 is as simple as can be and works great.

2. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Is it the right size for a 4x12 cab?

3. Scott Peterson

No, it's too short for a 412.

4. brent

brent Member

The A4-2 works perfect for a 4x12, makes 'em club and singer friendly, has the added benefit of disbursing you near field sound onstage as well so it's actually quieter AND easier to hear

These things work really well, I would like a A2-4 for my 2x12's but haven't odered one yet.

Scott did you get sorber panel? An engineer I know swears by 'em.

5. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Do they make one for a 4x12? I never thought the A4-2 looked tall enough.

6. Scott Peterson

Ah, I have the A2-4 (2 feet tall, 4 panels) and it isn't big enough for a 412. One that was 4 feet tall would indeed be perfect.

I do not have the sorber panel; if I feel I need one, I'll look into it for sure. For now, I am very happy.

7. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Scott,
    These have really interested me......how effective is it really? Like if you play in a smaller room how much more can you crank up the amp?
    Thanks.

8. Scott Peterson

I can't answer you yet. I will be taking it to a rehearsal and then a show on Tuesday; by then I'll at least have some idea of what it offers. I'll report in then.

9. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Thanks Scott. Looking forward to it.

10. muddy

muddy Member

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman][SIZE=+1]ClearSonic Manufacturing now offers a 12" height extender for their popular ClearSonic Panels for those who need 78" or higher panels. The AX12 comes with "H" channel and hinge and easily snaps to the top of existing ClearSonic Panel sections. Complete systems will still fold "accordion style" even with the additional height extenders. [/SIZE][/FONT]​

[​IMG]

ml

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Physically....what's the big deal? I mean. why buy this instead of heading out to a plastics shop and getting them to cut you a thick sheet...many will construct fairly cheaply to your spec, add some mounting bracket?

I'm just wondering...what does these cost for, and how much could you build the same for? Also, is there any "technology" behind them or are they simply plexiglass screens?