Got My Custom Shop Diamond Comp!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by billygoat, Mar 11, 2006.

1. billygoat

billygoat Member

First off, this thing is great, not a bit of comp strangulation in sight, not even with it fully cranked.

In the store it was marked as Custom EQ. I asked them what was so custom, and they just said it was different. I thought it sounded great, and I liked it best with the knob flat so I bought it.

I emailed diamond to find out what the deal was with the Custom shop CS serial number. They said it was made for bassists and the tilt was lowered one octave so it balances upper mids with bass notes rather than lower mids with highs (normal).

On one hand the eq does get bassy, on the other hand, I love it flat.

I think the pedal is phenomenal, but i am a little peeved that the store didn't mark how the eq was custom...or even seem to know. At any rate, I love the thing, and cheers to Diamond and their great customer service.

bg

2. drolling

drolling Member

It's been my experience that Michael will bend over backwards for his customers - even if you don't ask him to.

I've got a few bass effects that I use w/my guitars, but EQ isn't one of them. Ideally, if you could compare yours with the regular model, you'd probably know instantly which voicing you prefer.

And I'll bet that Mike would be happy to rebuild your pedal to standard specs if you wanted. He's done a few tweaks to my stuff.

3. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

Spot on comment! Michael Knappe is one of THE best guys in the pedal business.

4. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

5. billygoat

billygoat Member

See, that's the thing. This comp is so good, it would kill me to send it away, and since no one around here has it in stock....

Alright, where do you guys usually set your eq. I wonder if this is worth doing...If it's just a cap/resistor/pot change, maybe I'll do it myself....

6. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

7. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

8. drolling

drolling Member

I'd say about noon, but I'm using very bright single coils and bright fender & vox amps as well.

In some circumstances, I'll open up the tone control all the way, for a bit of a treble boost- jangly, chimey rhythm tones (I used to use a Janglebox for this app.) or dotted eighth delay tricks where i need the delayed note to really pop out (used to use digital delay for this, but I've gone all-analog, and this setting seems to help the echo to cut thru').

It's really inexcusable that no one at the shop knew the comp had been EQ'd for bass, but I'd still write to Michael to find out what's involved in the mod. I've sent him stuff by regular and express post. He gets it fast and does the work right away.

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey, a fellow torontonian! We should hook up for a pedalfest!

Anyhow, I got my diamond comp from scott at www.axeandyoushallreceive.com. He's up in Brantford and ships his stuff incredibly fast. Tell him I sent you and you may get a deal!

I may take your Diamond off your hands, as I need a good bass compressor......

10. threm

threm Member

:AOK

11. billygoat

billygoat Member

Unfortunately my stuff is amazingly utilitarian....Not much for pedal festing...ORiginal ts-808, dist pro, fulldrive in compcut mode, diamond comp, ph1-r de-7

However, we're opening for Art Brut on the 1st of April at the Horseshoe...I don't know much about Art Brut, but NME and pitchfork are nuts for them, so we'll see...

12. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

13. billygoat

billygoat Member

Yeah, I'm gonna email him. He said it was nice with guitar, but i think that the uppermid + treble boost is too much for me...I wanted to live with it for a while, and see if I found the eq useable....

14. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

hey billygoat, check your PM

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey man. I'd still be willing to take the Diamond off your hands for the price Scott would charge you for a brand new one. Like I said, I need a bass comp :rolleyes: You can try out my Diamond comp with your rig as well and see how you like the standard guitar version

As for your gig, mayhap I'll take you up on that.

16. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I'd given-up on pedal comps until I heard the Diamond. I was putting together a new countrified act, and really wanted a comp for some of the stuff. Bought the Diamond, and it will be a cold day in hell when that leaves my board (same with my Memory Lane)! All the good comp stuff, none of the artifacts. And Michael Knappe, besides being a cool human, builds great pedals. Try it and understand!-Eric

17. billygoat

billygoat Member

So I played this thing at full volume today.

You know when you think about something alot and it gets worse and worse. I think that's what happened here. When I played last night, I thought the eq was really nice. However, it is definitely tilting in the lower mids. As opposed to the uppermids.

According to Mike, only a couple of these were ever made, they have been working on a bass comp apparently. I am going to play with it on tuesday @ band practice, then if I don't like it, I'm sure I can find some bassist to swap me straight up for a normal diamond comp...

18. mknappe

mknappe Member

Hi! If it's ok to jump in - no problem at all for us to make the change back to the stock EQ - there are just a couple of caps that need to be changed. If you don't mind sending it to us we'll put it back to normal upper mid voicing and have it back to you in a couple of days.

Cheers!

Michael Knappe
    Diamond Pedals

19. billygoat

billygoat Member

Mike, thanks for the offer. I played the comp for another 2 hrs tonight (I can't get enough of this thing) and I think the voicing is really gonna work for me...I like my sounds a little different, and knowing not many people have a comp like mine is pretty cool.

The only thing I am sort of worried about is how the eq is going to sit with the band...(3 guitars) In this respect, I think that the upper mids voicing might be a little better.

However, my amp, a boogie, gets brittle with my tele as it gets cranked so this pedal may be just what the doctor ordered with its eq.

I am going to wait and see. But I do appreciate the offer, and love this pedal. Tell me, how do you compress a note without the vicelike squish of every other compressor I've ever used? I can't get over it. Amazing..

One more question. Am I hearing things, or is there more bass in the sound when I set the eq in the centre detente vs when I remove the eq?

And just one more compliment. The wiring jobs in these pedals is truly a work of art. I have never seen anything like it...I have a j-drive that i am testing here (I am going to buy one) and it is just as neat. Hats off to you sir.

20. mknappe

mknappe Member

Thanks for the very kind words!!

There can be some minor variability in potentiometers with center detents - it's possible the resistance is not quite at 50% through its range at the detent and sounds slightly different than with the EQ bypassed.

Cheers!

Michael Knappe
    Diamond Pedals