Got my ES-339 now what

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by timvanderlaan, Jan 2, 2008.

1. timvanderlaan

timvanderlaan Supporting Member

Hey all-
    new to the forums and was just wondering if i could get some guidance on a few items. I just picked up a new ES-339 fat neck for a steal and want to do two things. First, the pickguard has a horrible gouge in it and i would like to order a replacement one. Where should i go about doing this? Would it be best to contact Gibson? Next, i have read a ton about tonepros bridges and tailpieces. Which ones do i need and where can i pick them up. also, is there anything i need to have done to the guitar to install them or are they just a drop-in modification? Thanks in advance - the guitar is amazing and i can't wait to hear it at its full potential.
    -Tim

2. mps1156

mps1156 Member

Tim,

There should be a number of choices for a replacement pickguard, including OEM or you can have one custom made. I know its a relatively new model, but you may find something at All Parts, Stu Mac, etc which also sell various bridge replacements. You can't go wrong with the TonePros. There are a number of luthiers in Chicago that can do this work for you and/or order the parts. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss further.

3. einstein

einstein Member

Just play it.Why do you think another bridge will do anything?

4. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

www.Pickguardian.com

Tell him Mojocaster sent ya ;)

Oh yeah, welcome and congrats on the purchase! Though I have to tell you: no pictures means the purchase didn't really take place :D

5. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

Sometimes we should just play guitar! Seriously, just enjoy it.

6. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I've had guitars that sounded great then got worse when I tried to make them "better". These days unless there is actually a problem I leave well enough alone. Sometimes you might take away the very thing that made you like it in the first place. Then again, a bridge/tailpiece mod is easily reversable so...

By the way, I ordered a fat neck 339 too, should be here Friday. I can't wait! :)

7. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Interested in your impressions of the 339 and any of the bridge tail piece changes.

8. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Play the dam thing for a week. Decide whether you might raise or lower the string height,(or keep it where it is), and have it set up. Yeah I know, it was set up at the factory. Well theres a gouge in it, maybe the neck changed in your neck of the woods. So by all means have it set up.Don't forget, you might decide to raise or lower the string gauge.

9. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

i generally like 11s on gibsons and think that is what will go on this one. I have never tried the tone pros or other replacement bridges or tail pieces but I think I might on this one... for no good reason other than I want to.