Got my first Hamer... WOW!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Srvwannab, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Gold Supporting Member

:)

I picked up an '03 Studio Custom and I am absolutely floored! The top would be an Artist grade top from the guitar company that uses the three initials and the first one is "P" ... the last one is "S"...

It would be the top on a '59 reissue at that great electric guitar company in Nashville... The fit and finish is perfect- The guitar plays effortlessly- the inlay work is gorgeous. And, last but not least, it sounds like a million bucks.

I realize I've just discovered what many of you already knew.. there is something about a Hamer, and I don't think I've bought my last one... Monaco or Newport???:confused: :)

2. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I have to say smaller companies give you a lot more bang for the buck, you might suffer on resale but you are rewarder majorly with them. I love my Hamer Studio great playing and everything. I love my Mcinturffs, Guilds(before what they are now, the Rhode Island plant), and I take my G&L's and Ernie Ball's over Fenders.

BTW get the Monaco III that guitar just looks more awesome than the Newport unless you want Korina.

3. Blauserk

Blauserk Silver Supporting Member

Hamers are fantastic guitars by any measure, but for the money, the value is just silly. Depending on what tones you like, I'd say your next move should be a Monaco III.

4. Andy_T

Andy_T Member

Welcome to your new Hamer addiction. You'll probably enjoy it ;) I like mine.

I have a mid-90s studio with a wraptail. Fantastic guitar. I haven't ever seen or played an LP that I want more or could do that kind of vibe better. And I have a Phantom Custom that is kind of a superstrat in set-neck mahogany, but more vintage voiced. You should hop on over to the Hamer Fan Club (www.hamerfanclub.com) to get questions answered and to join in with other 'addicts.' There's a pretty good feel over there and some nice guys.

5. straightblues

straightblues Member

I got my first Hamer USA about 14 months ago, it is a Newport. Since then I have bought an Artist, Studio, Duotone Custom, Eclipse, Special and Jr. Hamer is the brand for me. If you love one Hamer, you will love them all. The consitancy from guitar to guitar is like no other company. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a hamer site unseen. I couldn't say the same for a Gibson.

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Still killing it with my 95 Hamer USA Studio Custom. Utterly spellbinding guitar. In the time I have owned it, I went from 12 PRS guitars to..... none.

And there you are. :D

7. ricoh

ricoh Member

I recently got a Triple threat Studio Custom................ although I am a Strat and Tele guy..........this guitar is phenominal............ build.......tone.........
    playability............and looks..........and it records like a champ.
    Maybe that is why they call it a "Studio Custom"
    Here it is..................................

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rico

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

I have had a serious Hamerjones for the last 15 years. I now have
    3 guitars - a Vanguard semi hollow P-90s, a T-51, and a new Special K.
    Never one to forget the low end, I have a Cruisebass 5 2TEK, and a rare Violin Bass. Always jonesin' for more.

9. drift_boat

drift_boat Member

Try a Hamer T-62, their version of a modernized '62 strat. Killer S style guitar.

10. slayer

slayer Member

[​IMG][​IMG]I have owned many of USA Hamers and down to 1, my CS Sustian Block Special in vintage trans orange. My pics suck, but the guitar rocks!! Jack.[​IMG]

11. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Supporting Member

Get a Monaco, they are amazing!

[​IMG]

12. conrad

conrad Member

Real killers,

I have one and picked up another one for a ridiculous price, with the intention to sell it, but kept it. Anderson quality for a fraction of the price.
    [​IMG]

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Welcome...I have on 03 Custom 2. :)

14. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Gold Supporting Member

Geez, that Monaco is beautiful! What is a "Triple Threat"- Incredible top! I guess this is what happens when a group of really talented guys get together and make fewer guitars in a month than many Custom Shops make in a day.

For some reason the sound I hear in my head these days is a "single coil" sound, and I end up playing a Strat or a Tele. It might be becuase I've been playing my Mesa F-50 a lot, and although it is disputable, I believe the F-50 is a single coil machine. On many amps you've got to tweak the EQ to avoid the thiness when moving from a humbucker guitar to a lower output pickup like a strat or tele pickup -not with the F-50.

I've never owned a P-90 guitar- So I'm kind of thinking Monaco III- The only challenge is that I'm the last of the bargain hunters and many of the Hamers are such incredible values in the ol' pre-owned market (which isn't to say they are not great buys brand new- as obviously they are based on the materials, workmanship, etc.) but those of you that have the Monaco III's ain't givin' them up!

15. Antroid

Antroid Member

Gotta hate the headstock! :AOK Oh, and the 3-in-a-line pots. Otherwise great looking guitars! Supposedly players too, but I've never been able to try one out.

16. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops

How are the pickups in Hamer guitars? I've read a lot about them but not much about their electronics.

17. Andy_T

Andy_T Member

The electronics (pots, wiring, switches) are first rate. Hamer even has their own special taper on the pots to give a boost in the last couple numbers of turn on the volume knob.

They use SD pickups, which I have changed out of the ones I have. I'm not a big fan of the SDs, but some are. They at least choose good ones (if you like the JB).

18. conrad

conrad Member

NOPE !
    [​IMG]

19. armitage

armitage Guest

I love my USA Hamers;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. phoenix

phoenix Member

heres the blank for my superpro. Name another 30+ year old company with the sand to do this.:eek:
    [​IMG]