Got my first Marshall - a Silver Jubilee 2558 combo. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tjinca1, Feb 24, 2012.

1. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

Just bought my 1st Marshall after 25 yrs of playing guitar. Got a Silver Jubilee 2558 combo.

Any tips, tricks or suggestions to get tones that can get me Hendrix, Zep, Bonamassa, VH, Scorps, etc? Thanks.

2. Jonnygeetard

Jonnygeetard Member

First learn how to play like Hendrix, Zep, Bonamassa, VH, Scorps, etc then get back to us.

3. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

All Bonamassa does is put a reverb in the loop. TS808 and Fuzz Face for boosts. DD3 or Aquapuss for delay.

Hendrix, Zep, VH and Scorpions are all pretty much settings and guitars. Zep would be out of phase, Hendrix would need a vintage sounding Stratocaster, VH would need possibly a bit of boost (more than likely not), a Phase 90 and high output humbucker, Scorpions Chorus and Delay.

Have fun, great amp too.

4. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

Nice amp, distortion slighty more modern than most of the bands you listed, so keep it low. A lot of those folks use a completely different setup as well.

5. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

I never use the buzz channel [lead pull boost] Well, maybe in the house. Live, just leaving it in and using the regular 'channel' and controlling the input gain sounds more real to me.

6. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

TIP: post some pics

7. Unadan

Unadan Member

+100!!

8. matchless

matchless Silver Supporting Member

love my 2558-get familar with the volume knob

9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

The rhythm mode/channel can get some good clean tones. I like it with the clip pulled for a nice overdriven tone. Crank the master.

OD mode/channel - the lead master is key. Crank it. It thickens the tone. Another key is making sure you have it cooking a bit. Turn it up if you can. In this mode, I don't care for the clip on. It's very thick without it. Super flexible tone controls too. Play with them a lot. VH tones should be in there pretty easily, although I usually use mine for more of a Slash/GnR/Buckcherry like tone.

10. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

I said I want their tones, but thanks for the putdown.

11. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Someone deserves a vacation from TGP. What a nice way to help someone by showing your A card....

12. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

Not sure I'm following you. The rhythm mode channel you mentioned is the clean with the clip pulled out to get some gain, right? The other channel is the lead, right? And pulling that knob just turns it on without the footpedal, right? Is that the OD mode youbare talking about? Thanks.

13. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I guess I should have explained it better. I've always thought of the Jubilee as a single channel amp with two modes - clean and OD (think lead channel).

So, when I said OD above - I meant using the lead channel.