Got my first monitors! What kinds of cables should I know about?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by pickaguitar, Jan 31, 2008.

1. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I got a set of monitors and now need some cables to hook them up...
    What's good without breaking the bank?

2. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

Are you talking about balanced v. unbalanced? 1/4" TRS, RCA, or XLR? Or brand name?

I would suggest balanced XLR. I believe I have Monster or Mogami, possibly Planet Waves, but I don't think the brand matters so much as the fact that the connection is balanced XLR.

I assume you are talking about the connection from the main outs of a mixer to powered monitors.

3. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

Don't get too hung up on the cables.

4. pickaguitar

Thanks for the replies!

I don't want cheap sub standard ones but I also don't want the most expensive ones. (something in the middle)
    I assume I should use balanced...but I'm not sure if I should go with TRS or XLR.
    Is there any difference in sound quality between the two?

5. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

It totally depends on how long the wires are. If they are short (6' or less), you can use unbalanced. The need for balanced cables is directly proportionate to the distance of the run.

Believe it or not, I bought my cables at a surplus shop in Carrollton (Tanner Electronics). They are surplus Radio Shack Premium Gold. I've found them to be as good as Monster Cable and I think I paid $2.50 each for them for 6' lengths.

You can also get Phillips or RCA premium cables at Fry's if you want to save a little coin. They also compare favorably with Monster.

Ummm... Why don't you just use my studio? It's pretty bad ass and someone should get some use out of it!

What monitors did you get?

6. pickaguitar

lol...thanks for the insight on the deals!

Steven,
    I'd be happy to get some time in at your place!
    Currently I've got some friends that I've been doing some work with and we just went in on some used but nice KRK RP8 monitors yesterday.
    Now...we need cables :)

We have been doing our work with headphones alone but have realized after 30-40 songs that the mixes would be quite a bit better with monitors.

7. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Hey, Jason! Are you interested in trying out the 3 bedroom amps that have come to life so far? I don't have cabs for them yet, but if you promise to wear your rubber gloves and Mickey Mouse boots and not electrocute yourself, you are more than welcome to give them a go while I wait for the cabs to get here.

BTW, I've been wanting to try those monitors. I use an old pair of Alesis M1s and an uber expensive pair of Bowers and Wilkins CM6s. The Alesis sound great, but aren't very flat. The good thing about them is once you get used to them, they give you a really good idea about how things will sound in the real world (like in the car or on a decent stereo). The B&Ws are totally flat and accurate and give you exactly what is on tape. So between the 2, I have a pretty good mixing environment.