Got my first set of custom snake oils today!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NatDeroxL7, Feb 15, 2008.

1. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Anyone else like an wound G-String for hard rock and metal??? Maybe I'm off my rocker (no pun intended) but I really like it, especially on LPs.

10, 13, 18w, 28, 38, 48

Haven't even gotten them on yet but I'm excited!

2. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I bought a dozen single wound 17's to use with my sets of 9's and 10's. I do a lot of bending on the 3rd string, and I couldn't get use to the added stiffness. They work great for rhythm though.

3. surfshack

surfshack Member

way to go!
    snake oil's all i use , they are killer. they hold up better than any string i've ever tried , they have a great feel to them and the best vintage warm tone.
    mine hold up for long periods of time without breaking down and i hit my strings hard, i mean i'm real heavy-handed.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Wound strings are easier to bend to me. The core plain strings they're wrapped around is usually thinner then the e, b, g. I would think a 17w or 18w would be real easy?

Which SOB sets are we discussing here anyways?

5. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Mine was regular D'Addarios, not Snake Oil. I was just commenting on the wound 3rd.

6. surfshack

surfshack Member

i use 11's on that tv special......

7. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Vintage Nickel set. Dean said that they've had problems with the 18w Rock Formula, at least with the current stock of material, which was fine with me since I really haven't formed a bond with either set in particular yet.

Previously I've used a standard production set of LH Rocks, ME Rocks, and XL plus Vintage, and liked them all, but I never used them on my LPs since they didn't have wound Gs. I just realized a couple weeks ago that he does custom sets so I went ahead and got one, now I have snake oils on everything!

8. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

Where do you get Snake Oil strings? Thanks!!

9. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

10. jamison162

jamison162 Member

So what's the dilly with wound G strings? For those who use them, why do you like them?

Are the SOB Vintage Nickels less tension like the DR PB's? If so I have a set of SOB 11's I may put on my strat.

11. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

In my experience, a wound G, on a les paul, solves the "weak sound". Some pauls have it worse than others, but they were originally designed for wound Gs, so I think it sounds more well-rounded across the strings.

I used to use DR PBs....they are certainly slinky, and wonderful sound, but they had so many intonation problems....i can't explain it, but they just wouldn't intonate well. (not tune, they held a tune very well, I'm talking the overall intonation of the guitar.)

12. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Why not just go to a set of 11-48? I normally use SOS Rock 10-46 but I go heavier with Nickel 11-48 on my Les Paul since its primarily used for rhythm playing and blues. That's the easiest way to get a thicker sound and it'll strengthen your fret hand.

13. dtube

dtube Member

Way North of Pittsburgh...no, I don't own a banjo.
    I'm getting old - I've gone back to unwound G's. As much as I liked the tone and wonderful intonation afforded by them, I can't bend them like I used to. So, Dean put together a set of his Vintage's with a .018 G to help me transition. I'm also going from .011-.049 to .010-.046 on my 25.5" scaled guitars. Its hell to get old...

How long did it take you to get your SOB's? I ordered fresh sets on Jan 30th and haven't gotten them yet. I sent Dean an email last week that went unanswered. I have always found him reliable in the past - hope this is just a minor bump in the road.
    -Darren

14. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

I ordered mine on Jan 25th, got them on Feb 15th. I had emailed him, and he said that there was a bit of a backlog on the custom gauge sets

15. Zhurh

Zhurh Member

Luv them SOB's; vintage 12-54's Lt Jazz. The search for strings is now over for me.

16. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

There certainly is quite a buzz about SOB strings. I prefer pure nickel strings and would be interested to try them. I have used and like Gibson Vintage Reissue, Thomastik-Infeld Blues Sliders, SIT Power Groove, GHS Santana Signature. Anybody feel like comparing their SOBs to other available pure nickel-wound strings?

17. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Snake Oils are one of the best strings out there...

18. Grenville

Grenville Member

Is he still using AOL for email?

I'm having trouble emailing him.

19. mad-axeman

mad-axeman Member

I think there's a bit of growing pains with SOB; they just don't produce in the quantities of some of the more well known brands, hence the delay. Dean has another partner taking care of shipping to my understanding, so he isn't always aware of every order (to my understanding).

I ordered my first sets last year and there was a bit of delay. However, Dean did respond to my emails/phone calls, and actually gave me his cell for any further correspondance.

I found him to be very engaging and sincere, with a genuine appreciation for good tone.

With patience I'm sure your strings will turn up.

Stu

20. pattste

pattste Member

I ordered a few sets of Vintage 10-46 on January 23rd and received them today, February 18th. This is my 3rd or 4th order from Dean and they usually ship faster, as quickly as within a week. In any case, they're definitely worth the wait.