• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Got my G3N from the UK today: a mixed bag

dman72

I think with this new Zoom series we have a situation of a step forward and then a step back.

They added much better scrolling and patch functionality, but in the process removed tons of other useful features.

#1 G3N has a control pedal in..but from what I'm seeing, I think you can only use an expression pedal there, and you have to dedicate a slot to a specific "pedal effect". What? With the G3, I could set up an external control pedal to turn an "off screen" pedal on or off thus helping with the old scrolling issue, or I could have a dedicated tap tempo. Unless I'm missing something, this cannot be done with the the new unit. Downer. I don't want to be scrolling during gigs, especially since it's a 3 button maneuver to activate an off screen pedal. I used to be able to hook up my boss external pedal and activate the 4th. Even with the build in scroll, you have to hit scroll, then hit the effect button twice to engage it. 3 pushes.

#2 They removed parameters from effects in the desire to minimize all units to 4 "knobs"....most notably tone controls from the delays, which I think is a major decrease in functionality. All to reduce a few tiny buttons from the display? If people don't like having to page through parameters, you could still have just 4 on the first page you know, Zoom.....

#3 Gone are the ground switch, XLR out, active/passive switches.

Also, the "look" of all the pedals in the display has become homogenized ...Licensing issues?

All looks like cost cutting to me

#4 Amps take up 2 slots and a cabinet a third? and each has to be switched on and off separately to bypass completely...what? This part seems really weird to me.

So for instance, you have the volume gain and presence in the first window, bass mid and treble in second, and the cabinet third? This is strange. Maybe the second page of the amp is just the solo volume. Either way, this is just dumb. Make the amp one slot and give the dreaded DSP limit if it maxes out. Why have the amp basically take up 3 windows? You could swap out cabinets before so it's not like they're really giving you anything new here..oh, and the cut the number of models WAY down.

I can't make a call in sound quality yet..it's definitely not worse. I was able to match what I was doing with my G3 (I don't use amp sims) quite quickly, and now I can reasonably use patch mode on some of my gigged tunes.

If you had just taken the G3 and added the 3 new buttons on the bottom, you'd have had a fantastic unit. You really have to wonder who headed up Zooms team on this and whether they even asked any users about functionality.

All that being said, the unit still sounds good, the delays, mods, filters, etc all do what I want them to do even without the tone controls, so I will probably keep it...but they should really be selling this for less than the G3 based on how much they pulled out of it.
The long awaited "fixes" for the G3 and G5 came at a price. However, the new effects added in the guitar lab software up my review from say, 3 to 4 stars. They added some things that weren't in the G3 like spacehole reverb which is a nice addition, plus the HIwatt and Marshall 59 amp models are in there too. It's imperative when you get you new "G unit" that you do the import form the guitarlab in addition to the firmware update.

Last edited:

randombastage

Gold Supporting Member
Thats interesting. I wonder if you were using both the old and now the new one primarily for amp modeling how it would rate over all i.e.; was the quality of the amp sim improved enough to make it 'better' overall?

I had a G3 when they first came out but didn't keep it very long because I had other amp modelers that I preferred because the modeling on the G3 was a little too bright and crispy at times. I'm waiting for delivery tomorrow of my new G3N and hoping the modeling is improved enough to keep it. Keep updating this thread as you get more time with it I'm curious. I guess based on your initial thoughts I'm still optimistic since I will use it primarily as an amp modeler running amp/cab and a touch of delay paired with a Boss BR800 for a portable song writing/practice tool and don't need it to be a logical footswitch/performance tool.

And yes isn't it amazing how Andertons in the UK can send something across the ocean to us faster than a Guitar Center can send something from a nearby town!

mac jones

If you take away the premium you payed for the EU purchase, i'm thinking these might go for $130US at discount (or maybe $150).

That's pretty cheap, so even though these are a bit odd, it does have it's virtues. I do much prefer the MS50 form factor. I would like to see these updated.

john lan

guys all this has been talked about here before, the new zooms except for the sound (and the couple more footswitches) are downgrades ,why don't you read threads and manuals before buying??e? grrrrr:p

Last edited:

Jchrisf

guys all this has been talked about here before, the new zooms except for the sound (and the couple more footswitches) are downgrades ,why don't you read threads and manuals before buying??e? grrrrr:p
Does this mean they will keep making the G3?

dman72

If you take away the premium you payed for the EU purchase, i'm thinking these might go for $130US at discount (or maybe $150).

That's pretty cheap, so even though these are a bit odd, it does have it's virtues. I do much prefer the MS50 form factor. I would like to see these updated.

Most likely I paid less then we'll pay when it's released in the US. For instance: The Boss GT100, which retails new for $499 in the US. At Andertons, it's 349 pounds, which translates to $423 at current exchange rates. . So, even paying $20 for shipping you are saving money. Only issue is that you don't get the right power adapter, but I didn't need it.

You are thinking exchange rates circa 2010. Might be time for a British vacation actually. When was there last it was upwards of $2 to the pound and ridiculously expensive.

mac jones

I'm not so sure. The cabs on the previous models are said to be different, as are the new amp models. I have the new zoom and like the sound. It's too early for me to tell what's what, but others seem happy with theirs. I like that it's smaller than the G3. I never really warmed to the G3/G3x or G5/G5x, although I really like all the other models (which i own, and use)

I will say, I agree with the OP that the UI is a bit wacky. Not sure what the reason for this is.

Last edited:

dman72

Thats interesting. I wonder if you were using both the old and now the new one primarily for amp modeling how it would rate over all i.e.; was the quality of the amp sim improved enough to make it 'better' overall?

I had a G3 when they first came out but didn't keep it very long because I had other amp modelers that I preferred because the modeling on the G3 was a little too bright and crispy at times. I'm waiting for delivery tomorrow of my new G3N and hoping the modeling is improved enough to keep it. Keep updating this thread as you get more time with it I'm curious. I guess based on your initial thoughts I'm still optimistic since I will use it primarily as an amp modeler running amp/cab and a touch of delay paired with a Boss BR800 for a portable song writing/practice tool and don't need it to be a logical footswitch/performance tool.

And yes isn't it amazing how Andertons in the UK can send something across the ocean to us faster than a Guitar Center can send something from a nearby town!
To reply to this specific item about amps, I found the G3 amp models unuseable through an amp due to noise. Also, gain levels just seem ridiculous out of the box on amps and distortion models. For headphone practice or direct recording they were acceptable.

I had a donner morpher ($30 Suhr riot clone) and my OCD with both about mid gain, on at the same time, and they produced less noise, and a less unpleasant brand of noise at that, than a g3 mid gain distortion model at 1/3rd gain on the knob.

That all has been toned down in the G3N. The distortion models are still noisey but less so and more useable.

I use the G3 as mod/delay/filter/wack stuff box and use other pedals for gain, into an amp. So this G3N unit is actually an overall positive for me, with the biggest downer being the control pedal functionality getting killed. It'd be a clear win without that issue.

jageya

after i sold my g5 i wanted to like the g5n but passed. I hope the next incarnation will be better with dsp and have an effects loop and better screens and a pc editor. Today i would go with the gt-1 hands down

dman72

after i sold my g5 i wanted to like the g5n but passed. I hope the next incarnation will be better with dsp and have an effects loop and better screens and a pc editor. Today i would go with the gt-1 hands down
Gt1 has even more limitations than the G3N and costs more, though.

Guitar1969

All this has been discussed before. As a prior G5 owner and now a G5n owner (as a backup unit for my main board), the G3n/G5n cut alot of things but really improved the amps and cabs. They are slowly adding new amps and effects on a monthly basis, and most who have actually used it for awhile have accepted the limitations, but prefer the improvements in sound.

jageya

All this has been discussed before. As a prior G5 owner and now a G5n owner (as a backup unit for my main board), the G3n/G5n cut alot of things but really improved the amps and cabs. They are slowly adding new amps and effects on a monthly basis, and most who have actually used it for awhile have accepted the limitations, but prefer the improvements in sound.
its a step in a great direction. I will wait till they up the dsp limit and add the cdr70 effects.

Nevets

Silver Supporting Member
I think Zoom's philosophy with these new units is that they want all parameters viewable and adjustable on the same screen. No sub pages or additional menus. So that's why we get an amp in two blocks, and some others. I didn't like this approach when I read about it, but in practice, I'm ok with losing some extra features in favor of dead simple tweaking.

dman72

its a step in a great direction. I will wait till they up the dsp limit and add the cdr70 effects.
I would love to be able to take the CDR70 off my board...it would remove 2 pedals, the true bypass looper it's in and the CDR70 itself (I leave it in memory mode). I just need spacehole and particle in the G3N and mine will be a 100% positive review. Even one of the crappy little plastic zooms sub $100 has the particle reverb. Isn't there some hacker who's figured out how to get these effects into the G3/5?

jageya

they do this on purpose....if the cdr70 gets discontinued then maybe it will show up for the g3n/g5n effects but they arent dumb...look you bought both?...So will many others(maybe the cdr70 1st but thats the way it goes)

Guitar1969

I would love to be able to take the CDR70 off my board...it would remove 2 pedals, the true bypass looper it's in and the CDR70 itself (I leave it in memory mode). I just need spacehole and particle in the G3N and mine will be a 100% positive review. Even one of the crappy little plastic zooms sub $100 has the particle reverb. Isn't there some hacker who's figured out how to get these effects into the G3/5?

SpaceHole was added last month(Dec), at least on my G5n download so it should be the same for the G3n. Have you checked the latest updates by plugging in your unit to the GuitarLab. They have been adding some good amps and effects for many months.

I have a CDR as well on my main board - same setup as you - CDR and then a Loop switch to turn it off and on. The CDR is such a great pedal - All around swiss army knife - It would take alot to get it off my board.

randombastage

Gold Supporting Member
First ten minutes and I'm a little concerned...
cycling through the presets and the first one that sounded like it might be able to be tweaked into a decent crunchy amp sound turns out to not have any amp or speaker as part of the preset! EP pedal, Golddrive and Spring reverb!!!

Im not giving up yet, I saw a demo of someones presets that sounded good...I'm going to check for firmware updates and dive back in...

Love the size of this thing, then again my AmpliFIRE is smaller in two of the three dimensions and I seriously doubt this thing is ever going to sound as good as the AmpliFIRE

Guitar1969

First ten minutes and I'm a little concerned...
cycling through the presets and the first one that sounded like it might be able to be tweaked into a decent crunchy amp sound turns out to not have any amp or speaker as part of the preset! EP pedal, Golddrive and Spring reverb!!!

Im not giving up yet, I saw a demo of someones presets that sounded good...I'm going to check for firmware updates and dive back in...

Love the size of this thing, then again my AmpliFIRE is smaller in two of the three dimensions and I seriously doubt this thing is ever going to sound as good as the AmpliFIRE
Well the effects are certainly better than the AF, and at more than half the price as the AF. I have both as well. The amp tones are pretty good in it, although no IR Cab loading.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom