• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Got my G3N from the UK today: a mixed bag

randombastage

Gold Supporting Member
Ok, I discovered the Mic setting in the cab section defaults to Off....that is for G3n into a real guitar amp....so, setting it to On, which is for Direct to DAW, FRFR etc, has changed my opinion by a great deal, things sound a lot better now.
I'll stop posting about it at least until I am a little more qualified to form an educated opinion!
I did get the firmware updated and got a few new presets loaded from the Zoom downloads page but haven't managed to get the new amps etc installed so I'll be working on that. I put all the monthly updates into Guitar Lab but still don't see the newer amps when building a new preset so I have much to learn.

Guitar1969

Ok, I discovered the Mic setting in the cab section defaults to Off....that is for G3n into a real guitar amp....so, setting it to On, which is for Direct to DAW, FRFR etc, has changed my opinion by a great deal, things sound a lot better now.
I'll stop posting about it at least until I am a little more qualified to form an educated opinion!
I did get the firmware updated and got a few new presets loaded from the Zoom downloads page but haven't managed to get the new amps etc installed so I'll be working on that. I put all the monthly updates into Guitar Lab but still don't see the newer amps when building a new preset so I have much to learn.
All of the amps and effects are delivered automatically when you hook up to the Guitar Lab software with the unit connected to your computer. You will see them listed as "new".

You don't have to download anything from Zoom manually - Those are just patches made by Zoom and Artist.

You can also buy some very good patches from Choptones - Check out Youtube.

dman72

You have to import them into your unit, but yes spacehole was there!! Thanks helpful gearpagers.

I probably won't retire the MS70cdr because I'm sure I can find other fun things to do with it, but I could now gig with the G3N and a few dirt pedals (my bands has one tune that spacehole is a big part of) in a pinch.

dman72

Had the same experience last night. Sounded terrible through headphones before turning the microphone switch on. Blech!!

Liking it more with each use. Still cant't get past how badly they screwed up the scolling. It's idiotic. Just move over one pedal each click, it isn't rocket science. Nope, they had to make it complicated.

This has to be changed in firmware update. Just make the scroll pedal work like the scroll button did on the G3.

mac jones

Still cant't get past how badly they screwed up the scolling. It's idiotic. Just move over one pedal each click, it isn't rocket science. Nope, they had to make it complicated.
This has to be changed in firmware update. Just make the scroll pedal work like the scroll button did on the G3.
It's true. The scrolling is now a 2 step process? They need to make a simpler scroll option like they had with the G3, instead of first showing the new 'outside' view. It's like they did it so you won't lose your place :D (It shows you all the pedals and amp lined up in the patch first (birds eye view), and then switches to a usable, editable, screen). This is a good idea, but only if your unsure of what's in your patch, otherwise it's very annoying.

Last edited:

Nevets

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure about the two step scrolling? My G5N moves one pedal over with each click, if the display is on Stompbox mode. If it's on Patch mode, it scrolls four (or three for the G3N) patches, and I have it set to not automatically switch to the next patch, this is editable in settings.

mac jones

Not sure about the two step scrolling? My G5N moves one pedal over with each click, if the display is on Stompbox mode. If it's on Patch mode, it scrolls four (or three for the G3N) patches, and I have it set to not automatically switch to the next patch, this is editable in settings.

The G5n manual mentions this on page 11: "You can check the effects the unit is using at a glance on the Overview Display. The effects currently shown on the Unit Displays have white backgrounds. This is default mode with the G3n is (the Overview Display).

Last edited:

dman72

The G5n manual mentions this on page 11: "You can check the effects the unit is using at a glance on the Overview Display. The effects currently shown on the Unit Displays have white backgrounds. This is default mode with the G3n is (the Overview Display).
Right, so your first scroll step changes from the individual effects in windows to the "highlighted" view of all the effects in the patch..then the next step on the same button moves the white one or 2 pedals over...if the pedal you want is 3 slots over you have to scroll again, then you hit the effect button....which only brings up the effects in individual windows...only at THAT point can you turn an effect on or off.

this design could not possibly have been tested and approved by a guitarist who has ever played a gig in their life.

Nevets

Silver Supporting Member
It sounds like losing that overview strip at the top of unit was a bad move for the G3N. It's the main reason I went with the G5N instead of waiting.

Tito83

If they had just released a firmware allowing for 3 patches at a time, one for each foot switch, and bank change by pressing two... That was all the improvement the G3/G3X needed.

jimfist

It sounds like losing that overview strip at the top of unit was a bad move for the G3N. It's the main reason I went with the G5N instead of waiting.
I agree. Oveview strip is a key feature IMO.

Currently, the G5n isn't a whole lot more $$ or physical footprint than the G3nX, but IMO what you get in return for added features justifies it IMO. The G3n might have operational improvements vs. the G3, but I can understand how a lot of people would view it as a coin toss as to whether the improved modeling trade-of was worth it at the expense of the vast number of available amp/fx types (not to mention the XLR omission). Really depends on what exactly you prefer. I personally think the improved quality of the amp/cab sims is long overdue.

I don't view the G3n as being a robust all-in-one solution, but really geared toward someone who wants improved modeling/cab sims and just limited fx - sort of set and forget - or for a user who wants to consolidate individual hardware stomps and use the G3n instead at the front end of their rig. The G5n is a much better all-in-one solution if you're looking to combine stomp fx and amp modeling/cab simulation, along with better navigation for live performance. Either is still good bang-for-buck, especially if you're looking for improved amp modeling on a shoestring budget.

dman72

So it's not possible with scroll to go one fx at the time? Not even in stompbox mode?
No. multi step process in the G3N. They have to give you this option. I don't care about the overview screen. I can remember what was 2 slots over after scrolling when I'm editing, and live this functionality is far more important then an overview screen. Just add the option for one button scrolling in setup please Zoom. Even better, have 2 options: one slot scrolling and page scrolling. One button moves over one slot, page moves over 3 slots. This helps with the ridiculous "amp and cab takes 3 slots" design that I assume that thought was better than having to hit a button once to page to new parameters.

I can't imagine anyone who operates a smart phone has a really major problem with paging through a whooping 3 pages of parameters.

jorgemg1984

That's confusing... my perfect pedal would be my Zoom MS100BT with a 6 button footswitch so I can turn on or off any of the 6 effects.

I was hoping the G3N would do this, but so far they have removed controls of the effects (like tone on delay), they still haven't released lots of good fx on the G3N (slow attack delay, for example) and now the scrolling...

Maybe I'm understanding you wrong but what I would need would be this - I have 3 fx that are on the leds and I would need the scroll to take me to the next three... is this impossible? I just use fx - no amps, no cabs, no presets.

Thanks for the help!

Technica

The G3n and G5n both give me the overwhelming impression that they were exercises in cost cutting. No doubt, they sound great, but I still have yet to hear anything that rivals the original G5. I'll probably buy a G5n out of curiosity, but my G5 has met 100% of my needs. I was actually surprised that Zoom removed the Z-Pedal, which is one of their signature features. Also, removing the XLR-out was odd to me. Finally, as gimmicky as the G5's Tube Booster might appear, it does actually serve a great purpose. I've found it to be very useful. I do not think the actual vacuum tube in the G5 does that much, but I don't know.
The original G3 still remains such an awesome portable processor. I love that I can use the USB connection right into my iPad (using the camera connection kit) and the iPad detects it, no problem. I really wished the G3n had USB recording capability. :(

dman72

That's confusing... my perfect pedal would be my Zoom MS100BT with a 6 button footswitch so I can turn on or off any of the 6 effects.

I was hoping the G3N would do this, but so far they have removed controls of the effects (like tone on delay), they still haven't released lots of good fx on the G3N (slow attack delay, for example) and now the scrolling...

Maybe I'm understanding you wrong but what I would need would be this - I have 3 fx that are on the leds and I would need the scroll to take me to the next three... is this impossible? I just use fx - no amps, no cabs, no presets.

Thanks for the help!
You can scroll to the next 3, only it would take you about 3 foot taps to get all the way over to the third (it should take one) than another tap to move to the pedal screen (this should be zero since it should default to this screen), then you have to hit the switch to get the effect on or off. 4-5 button presses to get what should take 2. I've beaten it to death here but, who tested this? Really dumb design.

jorgemg1984

You can scroll to the next 3, only it would take you about 3 foot taps to get all the way over to the third (it should take one) than another tap to move to the pedal screen (this should be zero since it should default to this screen), then you have to hit the switch to get the effect on or off. 4-5 button presses to get what should take 2. I've beaten it to death here but, who tested this? Really dumb design.
Oh, so it goes only one at a time? The G3 was like that, didn't bother me that much. Thanks for all the help!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom